Harpies - how do you feel about them?

How do you feel about harpies? Do you like them? Hate them? Would you like them as a playable race?

I feel uncomfortable with them tbh.
Considering the stories about them and a lack of male harpies…
so yes uncomfortable is it

2 Likes

What do harpys do?

Starts with R, ends with E and it’s a crime.

3 Likes

I’m overall indifferent towards Harpies. Effectively they’re about the same as any other antagonistic species. I find the general concept of Harpies mildly interesting but that’s about it for me.

In regards to making them playable I don’t much care. I somewhat lean against it, if only because I’d expect to be able to fly on demand which I highly doubt is feasible for a playable race; though a Running Wild-like flying mount racial does sound appealing.

Being able to fly at start presents balance issues that are not solvable.

The RPG suggests that the Horde and Night Elves are their best relations although one who took an excessive effort to clean themselves might make it in the Alliance.

As a Tauren I dislike the Harpy right up there with the Quillboar and the Centaur. They raid Tauren caravan and villages, smell terrible, and are utterly vicious without remorse.

Also the RPG does not suggest this at all. It suggests their only positive relationship is with the Kobold. The Wowpedia article clearly states that they have made enemies of every other race

IT’s from the bestiary entry in the first black and white edition of the game, the one based on Warcraft, rather than World of Warcraft.

Wouldn’t mind if the lore expanded on them and their societies a bit. There has to be more to them than just being pests to the Horde and the Night Elves, right?

2 Likes

They’re supposed to be Aviana’s children that went astray in a fashion similar to the Mogu, when Aviana was slain in the War of the Ancients her kin had no direction and were lured into serving dark powers like the Old Gods and the Legion.

The original ones were supposedly ex-handmaidens of Azshara’s who cursed them into that form for some reason. Avianna may have taken an interest since they copy so much of her form.

There’s really not much to say about them other then there written as aggressive, territorial, and likely should be. Every time they might have encountered someone that is not there kind they likely were there to kill there people, destroy there nest, or break there eggs.

For as many times I’ve been told to thin there numbers, I’m have yet to hear about them invading anyone.

Did a little research and found this.

But honestly kind of wondering if Harpies, the Moonkin, and the Arakkoa would be able to communicate with each other.

3 Likes

There’s no commonality in origin. The Harpies are transformed Night Elves like the Naga, they have nothing in common with the other races mentioned.

1 Like

Harpies are the victims of Horde imperialism and Rexxar is a colonialist toadie who invaded a land not his own and brutally murdered a sovereign chieftess and her daughters. Since then, the Horde have routinely destroyed their eggs(which is pretty messed up!) and lead systematic purges of their tribes for the crime of resisting invading oppressors. They have a lot in common with the Night Elves, and we have absolutely, never once ever done the same thing to them as the Horde, especially not to the Furbolgs either(unrelated but I felt the need to assert). I will expect the Daughters of Aviana to be a bird mom allied race for the Alliance upon the next content patch that will appear when the content drought is over in 2023. If they are not, I will complain on GD.

Actually… I believe there is at least one quest chain in Classic, somewhere in the night elf starting zone, where we do attack harpies living there in the same manner as you just described. Also in Highmountain and Val’sharah, which were neutral zones but one leans Alliance and the other leans Horde. And on Mt. Hyjal, where the night elf druid quest-giver calls them abominations that she’s tired of tolerating, even for the sake of Aviana - right before she sics us on them.

That’s all I remember re: Alliance aggression against harpies, but it’s enough to illustrate that bad blood does exist there, too.

That said, if a flock (is that what you call their groups?) of harpies wanted to make nice with either the Alliance or the Horde, both factions have welcomed new allies that you could argue made less sense than this would. And if there’s some sort of hover-flying racial ability I’d have to agree that’s cool.

I’ll admit pretty much everything I said was a scourgepost there but it’d be cool if we got new racial additions that weren’t just old skeletons being reused with new looks. Like back in the good old days when Blizzard cared at all about the quality of their product.