Hardcore without any addons and walkthroughs

Welcome to wow 2005. Enjoy this timeless classic

1 Like

Add-ons have been around since the beginning of wow, evenin Vanilla where add-ons actually were able to automate combat/healing, and honestly it’s probably one of the things that helped WoW succeed, since people could get rid of Blizzards awful UI. For the most part I use the same add-ons today that I did in vanilla, with the exception of questie, but then again, its not like there wasn’t a number of websites that people would go to for that information.

1 Like

I appreciate the effort but addons are bad for game development. There are things that addons do better, but ultimately they lead to degenerate gameplay and ultimately retail.

How do you design a game that isnt played by the players, but instead reacting to how the addons they used to help them clear content.

If you think i am wrong look at bg and the maps

1 Like

You just go ahead try to pry my TRP, voiceover, and arkinventory from my cold dead hands. They have nothing to do with combat.
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I will just have to disagree, the vast majority of add-ons simply fix the awful UI, there are a ton of games that I quit because the UI was bad like wows is. As for other add-ons they help with horrid game mechanics such as the hunters needing a shot timer in vanilla/classic so they wouldn’t clip shots and destroy their already awful DPS even more while most other classes could just face roll to success, or add-ons for those people lucky enough to get to buff 40 people over and over in a raid.

From the raiding perspective, I do agree that some things like DBM/Bigwigs have had a bit of a negative impact, but a lot of thats been driven by the constant, throw a million mechanics at people, where the group wipes if everyone doesn’t hop three steps to the left, then two steps to the right all on queue. Also with even a simple AI, most of the add-ons could be made almost useless.

Also this being the HC forum, you don’t even need anything like DBM/Bigwigs for any of the classic content, with the exception of maybe the AQ40 trash, what a pain that was.

3 Likes

That sounds a lot like square dancing … I wonder if folks even do that these days.
off topic over, carry on.

I am not going to play totally without addons. But the addons I use are only to bring Classic back to its OG Classic state - or just for fun.

I have one to not show the Open all mail-button.
I have the Barbershop addon for Wrath, giving me the original icons back.
I have one to show how fast I move.
I have one to take a screenshot when I gain a level or suchlike.
And until recently I had Deathnote to tell me who died in HC.

I would like one to give me ONLY my character specific Achievements in Wrath.
I would like one for the character create menu to give me the old look.
I would like one for the in-game options UI to give me the old look.
I would like one for the spellbook to remove the checkbox to show only one spellrank.
I would LOVE one that allowed me to hide the carets in the minimap.

I would in short love to have the OG Classic / Vanilla UI back as it was in 2006!

1 Like

I need this!

How do you not use badboy, it’s been a staple app for me for years, though I found I had to add the spamblocker part once I started HC (back on bb) due to the streamer fanboys who I found if I didn’t mute I wanted to rip my eyes out.

They can also pry pallypower out of my cold dead hands. Being one who hates blizzards raid frames with a passion, I also like z-pearl/grid/clique, all of which have been around since vanilla. Never a fan of the Blizzard UI, its way too messy for me, but I play on a pretty small screen also and prefer more a minimalist look.

1 Like

I play on a 27” and still like the minimalist look too. I use ElvUI. The Blizzard UI is too disorganized and the units are in a bad place for me to see. Also have RP addons, and the voiceover for quest text is amazing.
BadBoy is a must have if you use the grouping channel.

I don’t even know Badboy. I actively try to keep my number of addons on a minimum.

I read a how-to long ago …
Here: https://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info25346-DisableOpenAllMail.html
If you want to acttually hide, not just disable the button, then open the file RemoveOpenAll.lua and replace the word Disable with Hide.

1 Like

Badboy is a spam blocking add-on that eliminates a lot of the gold spam and other stuff in the chats, it made/makes things like trade chat and general chat a lot better, with additional spamblocker feature, you can add text strings, that it also hides, fortunately most of those are consistent enough you can block them without impacting text you want to see, for example if you want to ignore all the “layer” chat messages, not that they are a big deal anymore with the low population.

Never could figure out why if a simple add-on could clear the gold seller spam why Blizzard couldn’t do a better job. Maybe they even do a better job now, but I think I have used that since vanilla, and it used to be really bad.

I only use Dominoes and Deathlog.

All Dominoes does is move/resize buttons and remove the border. I don’t have any cooldown counters or DoT timers or any sort of plugins. Deathlog is just a log of people who died. I was using a chat filter on release, but haven’t needed it since the streamers left.

I don’t feel like the game is “playing itself” by having a few more square inches of screen space, but I could easily play with no addons if Blizz ever (stupidly) disabled them.

1 Like

You can disable your own addons, and play in self found, You only want to disgrace others people life for your own fun.

Blizzard should make 1 realm without addons and see how that thing fails in 1 week, after that, posts talking about “ban addons” should be instant deleted.

Of course it would fail - unless it was an honest to god replica of the OG Vanilla - then we would need no addons to play Vanilla as it was.

There were add–ons in vanilla practically the day it launched, so if you want to play vanilla as it was originally, then you have add-ons.

I did not use addons back then. And I do not LIKE addons.