Hard crash upon login of any character

WoW hard crashes (unhandled exception) immediately after load of any character. I am working from a pretty slow/unstable internet connection, but it has never done this in the past. The auto report thing did pop up, one of the reference IDs was 71678270-3DC5-443F-94FC-7385BE2B1D33.

3 Likes

I am having the same issue. On load of any character the game crashes with some kind of Stack Overflow. My Report ID is 57F41C21-8F96-496C-BED2-823239293641.

I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Restarting my PC. Making characters on other realms. None of this has allowed me to log in.

I played all weekend without issues as well.

2 Likes

Same exact problem. Played with no issues all weekend and started hard crashing upon launch when I logged in today.

2 Likes

Same exact problem. :3

1 Like

Have logged into game multiple times and game keep crashing. Have disabled addons restarted computer and application and it hasn’t changed. I have been playing for a week straight now everyday with no issues prior to today. My report Id is D534EBD3-D36F-42C2-804B-9B2DBF64CE5A.

1 Like

Same Issue. I was playing fine until today.

1 Like

Have an old laptop that would not work with WoW classic, until I changed the Config.wtf file. Changed gxMaximize to a “0”. This runs wow in a screen window and not maximized. If this fixes it, then it is a video card issue. either to old, or driver issue, in my case, very old laptop video card that is not supported correctly.

Setting gxMaximize to 0 stopped my game from crashing. However, it is not an “old driver issue” or “old hardware issue.”

I am on windows 10 1903 and have a 2080TI on the newest drivers 436.15

After the game is loaded, I can change it back to windowed fullscreen and it works fine.

1 Like

How do you do this?

Edit: I refer to setting gxMaximum to 0.

Just edit that line with notepad in the file:

F:\Games\Blizzard\World of Warcraft\_classic_\WTF\Config.wtf

To launch in windowed mode:
Open up the Blizzard app -
Click the “Options” cogwheel above the rotating video’s
Click “game settings”
Check the box for Additional Command Line Arguments, enter:
-windowed

My GxMaximize is already set to 0.

got to your game install folder, mine is at “D:\Games\World of Warcraft_classic_\WTF” open Config.wtf in notepad, change the line gxMaximum “1” to gxMaximum “0” This worked for my old laptop. why, I don’t know, orginal wow worked flawless on old secondary laptop, but required to run now. This points to a video card issue, either with drivers, dx11/dx12, not sure why it is not working for people today.

I fixed mine by rolling back my Nvidia driver. So for me it was a driver issue. Works fine now.

Seems to have fixed itself with me doing nothing but waiting a short while.

This fixed my issue. Thank you Caiyra!

Yep, seems to have fixed itself now. Strange.

I seem to only get it when I log out in an inn. For now only Crossroads and Razor Hill have caused this.