Guys calm down! (No Sharding thread)

11/02/2018 03:48 PMPosted by Zenshigen

Just shard low level zones until people dissipate to other places, it should all be fine.

This is what I feel is the right decision temporarily. It's best for the health of the game in both the short term and long term.

Adding un-necessary servers to deal with the initial rush, then have all of the spectators quit shortly after, leads to dead servers, A.K.A. no community. I hope they don't listen to all these so-called 'purists' who are willing to actually ruin the game in the long term.
1 Like
Hmm. This might be a deal breaker.
11/02/2018 03:46 PMPosted by Chandler
11/02/2018 03:45 PMPosted by Foxkin
How else are they going to deal with the bum rush at launch?

Alot of realms and implement queues, if realms die out a few months after launch merge them. Sharding is a deal breaker for me and i'm sure for alot of other people, ruins the community aspect of the game.

Nah, I don't want to wait and be 30,000th in queue.

Sharding for the first couple days is fine, after that I want it turned off. I understand the outrage if they keep it in longer and in later zones, but as of right now ya'll are chicken little-ing for no reason.
1 Like
11/02/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Lore
As you've noticed, the Classic Demo does have realm sharding. This is to let as many people as possible experience it without technical issues such as server capacity or spawn density getting in the way.

Longer term, we know how crucial it is to the Classic experience for you to see your friends when you walk into Stormwind or when you’re helping them on a quest you’ve already completed. And there should only ever be one Kazzak on a realm, no matter how many people are waiting for him to spawn.

We’re still looking at how we can best deliver an authentic Classic experience at launch, and in the weeks and months that follow - both in terms of gameplay and community. You won’t see phasing (which is tied to specific quests that don't exist in Classic) or cross-realm zones (which combine multiple realms together) in Classic. However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

First off Lore, you are just a community guy so this is no attack against you. You have a job to do and you do it. Now as far as "Vanilla is vanilla"

- "realm sharding" as if this is not phasing
- no 8 debuffs which breaks early raiding
- itemization breaks raiding more
- 1.12 threat and completely broken warrior and rogue damage which will be further broken with itemization and debuffs (poisons and bleeds) breaks raiding even more

How is turning a game that took years to "beat" and turning it into a 6 month dumbed down, accelerated tour where the community will be completely broken due to not even needed a guild to clear content delivering the "vanilla experience"?

How can any Blizzard employee defend any of this? Please explain to me how this is not just a passive aggressive attack by Brack on the Vanilla community. We talked about community, so he has made Classic endgame and raiding the same as LFR. We talked about rewarding gear upgrades that last awhile, so he turned Vanilla into an accelerated gear carousel just like modern WoW.

This isn't Vanilla. This is the modern game with LFR raiding as the endgame that is a trojan horse to push people towards the modern game and to provide ammo to attack old WoW with revisionist history and a fraudulent game, that is pretending to be something it's not.

We were 100 percent lied to by this company. Or should I even call this Blizzard now that they have no CEO?
11/02/2018 03:48 PMPosted by Pwigg
11/02/2018 03:45 PMPosted by Vhok
speak for yourself. sharding for the first week or two would be fine with me. but it can't be a perma thing.

Sharding is literally just spill over so that things remain stable. Its a completely fine and obvious solution. Private Servers also did this AS WELL

no they didnt lol i played on nost when it launched the starting areas were !@#$ing packed to the point of people grouping to try and kill mobs 6 levels above them outside it and their was a huge login queue.
As you've noticed, the Classic Demo does have realm sharding. This is to let as many people as possible experience it without technical issues such as server capacity or spawn density getting in the way.

Longer term, we know how crucial it is to the Classic experience for you to see your friends when you walk into Stormwind or when you’re helping them on a quest you’ve already completed. And there should only ever be one Kazzak on a realm, no matter how many people are waiting for him to spawn.

We’re still looking at how we can best deliver an authentic Classic experience at launch, and in the weeks and months that follow - both in terms of gameplay and community. You won’t see phasing (which is tied to specific quests that don't exist in Classic) or cross-realm zones (which combine multiple realms together) in Classic. However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

Hey Lore, thanks for responding to people and addressing some of their early concerns.

While I think we can all agree sharding would make things a ton easier to begin with and make it a much smoother launch, while sharding is meant to be a positive thing is not actually what the vanilla community wants (not saying I can speak for everyone). Let it be messy, it's what gives vanilla it's charm.
1 Like
Sharding ruined the game. The great thing about vanilla is community and running across other random players. Splitting people up is the exact opposite of what people want. If private servers can run 10k+ pop servers without issue you can't sit there and tell me a billion dollar company like Blizzard needs to use it for stability. We want zones to be a !@#$ show, that's the entire point of vanilla. WE DO NOT WANT SHARDING. PLEASE LISTEN FOR ONCE. JUST GIVE US THE GAME HOW IT WAS. (With higher than 2k pop servers please.)

Edit: Imagine they have sharding for the AQ gate opening so the servers can "better handle the load". Get out of here with that garbage. Again, the fact that 10k pop servers hosted in some dudes basement in Russia could handle it, there's absolutely 0 reason Blizzard should have any issue.
1 Like
I didn't think i could get more pissed off after that Diablo mobile garbage, but here we are.
11/02/2018 03:43 PMPosted by Dragtuslivz
This seems reasonable. Man i stepped away for an hour to play the demo and this place lost it's mind lol.

The comments are so extreme about something so reasonable that its hard to tell sarcasm from what's real.

However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days. But we recognize that a cohesive world is critical to WoW Classic and are committed to bringing that to you.

imho - Sharding and CRZ being in the demo makes sense. Best screenshot of the game when community is pretty much a non-factor.

At launch though, competition mobs and quest materials generates moments to joke around in general chat and those around you. It might help the launch to have sharding in the short term, but hurts potential gains to community cohesion in the long term.
@Lore / Blizzard please explain how unpaid private servers are able to have hundreds if not thousands of players in one zone/area but Activision Blizzard, a multi billion dollar company, is unable to re-create the true game of Vanilla WoW.

What a disgrace. Absolutely disgusting.
It was not needed then, and it's not needed now. The starting zones are an issue for a week or so and that's part of the fun. I can't believe you are so tone deaf to the classic community that you would even consider this dealbreaker of an issue.
1 Like
11/02/2018 03:50 PMPosted by King
Absolutely incorrect.

Prove it.
11/02/2018 03:44 PMPosted by King
We WANT the starting zones to be a !@#$ show, its part of the experience.

Experience in 2018 = Constantly crashing and not actually playing.

Does no one here remember all of the RAGE on these forums every expansion with terrible launches?

Either way, Blizzard loses, however sharding for the first couple days(at least in the starting zones) will produce a more stable community for the classic servers in the long term., with no sharding afterwards. Even if there's no sharding, the forums will be flooded with people complaining how they can't play, how classic launch is awful, etc. .

No sharding at launch will cause issues with server population in the long term, which is a much more greater hit to your classic 'experience' than actually being able to play and not constantly crashing.

pservers had up to 15K online and starting zones were swamped.
But you know what..the server stayed up !!!!

The issue was spawn rates and pserver team turned on dynamic spawning which helped a lot.

Not crashes but a few disconnects and no queues.

Hardware today can handle that. 15K were online the day Northdale launched..single server.

On launch, have 5x the realms you think you need. Instead of having Illidan, have Illidan 1, Illidan 2, Illidan 3, Illidan 4, Illidan 5. Have all 5 servers share the same name database, so there can only be one guy named "Steve" between all 5. Announce from day one that the plan is to merge them all down to one server when the initial wave dies down. A few weeks after launch when the tourist wave is over, merge them down to only one Illidan.
1 Like
However, realm sharding is one of the best tools we have to keep realms stable when hundreds of players are swarming the same initial few zones and killing the same few mobs (like they will be at the launch of Classic). To that end, we do believe that some form of sharding may be helpful, especially in those early days.

This is an absolute misstep and FAR beyond what can be described as a 'helpful tool.' Including realm sharding in any form whatsoever is bad for WoW Classic and will cause many players to simply avoid the game entirely.
11/02/2018 03:42 PMPosted by Elyacia

So tl;dr - Sharding is sticking in.

At least we know our outrage isn't misplaced.

he said sharding will be used for initial launch - which tbh isnt that big of a deal. within a week or 10 days players will be dispersed enough for it to no longer be in the game
overall very very disappointed
this is not vanilla to me

this look to be some type of retail vanilla :(
11/02/2018 03:51 PMPosted by Turd
11/02/2018 03:48 PMPosted by Pwigg
Sharding is literally just spill over so that things remain stable. Its a completely fine and obvious solution. Private Servers also did this AS WELL

no they didnt lol i played on nost when it launched the starting areas were !@#$ing packed to the point of people grouping to try and kill mobs 6 levels above them outside it and their was a huge login queue.

Yeah, so they upped the mob respawn rate to completely retarded proportions. That's not exactly wonderful either.
You seem really disconnected from your player base blizzard.

Announcing a mobile game to a room full of PC gamers and not expecting that backlash is just another example of it, along with sharding.

The hardware of today and the coding improvements of the BFA client should be more than enough to keep the server stable if you use your original population caps on classic servers.

The utter ****show that will be launch in terms of numbers of players in zone and fighting over spawns is part of the vanilla experience that we gladly welcome, no matter how much of an inconvenience it causes us when playing.

How can you say that you know that vanilla means vanilla then say you'll have sharding in the game? You're going to kill classic before it's finished at this rate because you blatantly refuse to listen to what we want - which is as close of an experience to 2004 wow as possible, warts and all included.
11/02/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Fallanaa
11/02/2018 03:50 PMPosted by King
Absolutely incorrect.

Prove it.
Do your research, this entire project is for people who want VANILLA WOW. not some bastardized version of it that Retail players seek to influence. We want a pure authentic Vanilla WoW server with all its imperfections. Thats what made it perfect.
1 Like