Guys calm down! 2nd edition

Poor Lore tried to put out the flames but rolled a 1 and instead added more fuel to the fire.
Yea keep shouting boys. We for sure need to fight against sharding.
11/02/2018 05:45 PMPosted by Lafiel
I will admit I'm particularly triggered, sharding has played a huge roll in destroying the social aspect of my server, and I'm sure everyone else's

TBH it feels lonely. I used to sit in IF just to remember the old days. Traders on the bridge, people going to and from the FPs. Just the awe of so much activity. It feels so mute now.
NO

!@#$ING

SHARDING
11/02/2018 05:43 PMPosted by Dankhunter
11/02/2018 05:32 PMPosted by Clasicislife
They didn't listen to the Vanilla community for ten years. And they're not listening still.

Because raging manchildren who have no concept of how server technology works aren't a good candidate for people to listen to.

Raging manchildren who post this have no idea what they are talking about aren't good candidates to listen to.
11/02/2018 05:39 PMPosted by Brockthorn
Maybe they can bring the Nost guys in to fix it so it really is like vanilla ?

Just a handful of hours ago, I would have had a good ole laugh at that.

The sad part is, as of Now, I probably would trust the Nost guys over anything that Blizzard comes up with.

I don't see a company that "gets" Vanilla.
I saw the dmg lfd did in wrath and I raged, I saw the nerfs to heroic in cata and I raged. I watched lfr spawn countless waves of mouth breathers that infected the game and I raged.

Now... now honestly im tired. I kind of had it. If they are determined to ruin the game fine. I got humble bundle now.
Sharding is a poor solution to a hard problem with no real good solutions. I personally think sharding is probably the worst solution as it directly effects gameplay. It reeks of over engineering without thought of impact on the player experience and how cohesive that experience is. It just makes the actual game worse in many ways without much benefit.

Queues don't effect gameplay, they effect when you can play the game.
Merges don't break up communities, they bring two communities together.
Sharding does nothing but break up a cohesive world and separate the community in random unseen ways to the player, which is just really bad game design.

I personally would much rather wait to play a good game then not wait to play a worse game. I wont be playing Classic wow or any WoW for that matter if this is at launch, or in any version of Classic in the future.
Of ALL the possible things they could mess with, they choose one of the single most despised systems that is largely considered to be one THE defining reasons for the decline of the wow community. How absolutely out of touch do you have to be to even CONSIDER that the vanilla community would be on board with this?

I think the only thing that would have been more poorly recieved is LFR or Boost Tokens (please don't get any ideas...)
11/02/2018 05:32 PMPosted by Clasicislife
They didn't listen to the Vanilla community for ten years. And they're not listening still.

Because raging manchildren who have no concept of how server technology works aren't a good candidate for people to listen to.

I do. I know this is a hard problem to solve. I have worked on server architecture for many different types of applications. You can easily get away with things like this on a website where a server switch doesn't actually effect what you see on the page. In an MMO where world continuity and community matter it just doesn't work.

Using sharding directly effects the continuity of the game world they created, and the experience they give the user. It is honestly a very, very poor solution to the load balancing problem. It was probably conceived of by an engineer with no game design experience and no focus on user experience. They just wanted something to make all there servers run in a balanced way. No one stopped to think about the gameplay/community consequences.

Be a game company Blizzard. Focus on the customer experience. Not the tech. Tech is a tool to deliver that experience.
Best post in that thread is right here...
-------------------------
Posted by Lore
Longer term, we know how crucial it is to the Classic experience for you to see your friends when you walk into Stormwind or when you’re helping them on a quest you’ve already completed.
-------------------------

If you want to inspire confidence, don’t say stuff like this. If you think seeing your friends when walking into Stormwind or while questing is some sort of “Classic” experience, you confirm what everyone fears. You have no idea that this game used to be a MMORPG. A really good one. So kudos there to anyone part of the original development crew. For the new folks, don’t try and fix Classic. It isn’t broken. Everyone is freaking out because you seem Hell bent on fixing it until it is.
No Sharding!
11/02/2018 05:53 PMPosted by Trigreen

Raging manchildren who post this have no idea what they are talking about aren't good candidates to listen to.

Manchild who knows what he's talking about here; he's not wrong.
Here is my 400-word essay on why I believe sharding should be reconsidered for usage in any capacity on Classic WoW.

Classic Vs. Retail Should Be About The Experience

I believe that Blizzard should strive to introduce Classic WoW as a different experience from Retail WoW, so that when people who never experienced the original game come into it, they can immediately tell there is a difference (right after character creation). Adding quality of life changes may be good in certain cases, but introducing major changes to the original, such as sharding, may work to homogenize the two experiences rather than set them apart.

The congestion of the starting area is, for many, a part of this experience. You can work together with other new players to try and quest through or try and grab mobs more quickly than someone else; believe it or not, that's part of the fun for a lot of us (and integral to the experience that I personally remember)! Maybe for some players this could be difficult, but we all eventually got through it in the past, and I'm confident new players can adapt as well.
Additionally, leveling through the game with the same people following you from zone to zone, questing and dungeoning with them and even competing for gathering materials (mines/herbs), is an awesome community aspect to the game, and it would be a shame to lose this aspect if particular zones got sharded at times and we lose these kinds of moments.

I understand the logic behind sharding, but hopefully, we can all see why sharding can also change the experience in a negative way for many fans of the original. And the main idea here is to offer a different experience from Retail WoW (I think the development team can agree on that). So please reconsider the usage of sharding, even at the start of release; many of us want to immediately be sucked back into the game, and this aspect will play a large role in that.

To be honest, I'm sure the game will be fine even despite the sharding, but I do believe we will lose some special aspects of the game, like the above and more. I believe we lose more than we gain if Classic WoW utilizes sharding.

Thanks for reading!
Community first.

No Sharding.
11/02/2018 05:53 PMPosted by Trigreen

Wrong, DEVS listen to complains, constructive criticism gets thrown in the trash.
11/02/2018 06:20 PMPosted by Crixt
Of course Blizzard fails at Blizzlike. They HAVE to. If you are honest with yourself, you saw this coming. If you are responsible for completely ruining a product line, why in the world would you go out of your way to showcase how good it used to be? It’s like tattooing an “L” on your forehead.

No, you rewrite history. You change the old game to look just like your steaming pile and literally give it away for free to those that never wanted Classic to begin with, so you can say “See, Vanilla sucked. It’s just like my game. Don’t listen to them. It’s just nostalgia.”

A little vulgar in your approach but I see your point. There could very well be many divided opinions within. I hope they revert this mentality tho.
Imagine being so much in a bubble you don't even know what your customers want.

Blizzard should a shamed of themselves.
I will not calm down. I will in fact calm up!
+1 no sharding