Guldan's Portal Spell

What spell did Guldan use when he opened the dark portal to transport orcs through it? Did he have to drain souls from the Draenei as shown in the movie? Can that procedure be repeated? What does it do actually, does it protect the orcs while they travel through dimensions?

The spell was never given an official name.

No, but he sacrifice a Draenei child to open the portal.

The spell can be repeated but it needs to have someone one each side forming the connection between planets with one another, like how Gul’dan and Medivh connected Draenor and Azeroth.

The Dark Portal protected everyone who went through from the orcs invading Azeroth, to the Alliance Expedition invading Draenor, and us when we entered Outland in BC.

1 Like

So you would have to sacrifice a Draenei kid again for the spell to work?

What does the sacrifice actually do, does the soul benefit the ritual?

Like when you go through the portal, does the sacrificed soul actually do anything to the person who is travelling through the portal? i.e protect their physical body or something?

I think the spell just required a living sacrifice.

And I have no idea on the rest of your questions.

So this spell is just for transporting orcs? Or can you have any other race go through it too?

Any race can use the Dark Portal. The Alliance Expedition went through it themselves. And the orcs brought ogres with them to Azeroth. And there are some mutated draenei who crossed over during the First War too.

1 Like

I meant like doing what guldan did, sacrificing some dude and after that going through.

In the Chronicle books it wasn’t just one kid, he sacrificed every draenei prisoner the Horde had. A whole host of people.

Fel magic is powered by life energy and souls. As a warlock taking that much in an instant would give him a huge spike in power. The souls are converted to raw energy. Medivh on the other end was the Guardian and able to manage on his own. The combined effort of Gul’dan and Medivh’s power boosted by the influx of souls let them open the gate.

It’s essentially like other portals. You walk through and you’re there. The large stone structure is a physical anchor to stabilize it. The difference is the size. Medivh traveled between Draenor and Azeroth a bunch of times, but that was a small thing for only one person. They needed a portal that could transport entire armies across the universe. So that’s a lot more power and preparation.

It’s been done multiple times before, but it’s not a simple task that just anyone can pull off. That’s actually how the Legion commonly invades worlds. Get’s a portal up and running.

3 Likes

Oh yeah. The one child sacrifice was in the Rise of the Horde novel, which came out before Chronicles. That always stayed with me over the recon in the Chronicle Volume 2.

I think of it as just the kid being for show, kinda thing.

1 Like

I feel like that presents a plot hole. If any race can use the portal, then why wouldn’t the Legion just open a portal from where ever to Draenor, then march their armies into the portal to Azeroth? Mannoroth was on Draenor already, right? That’s how the Orcs drank his blood.

Why even corrupt the Orcs if you can send your full strength legions against the unprepared Azeroth. And if demons can’t get through(though demon blood fused Orcs can), why not do the joint portal thing and send some virus bombs or some organism that will spread out of control.

I guess you can say, they have to be from planet X or Y, (Azeroth and Draenor), but then was Lord Kazzak trying to take the portal to Outland, he didn’t start on Azeroth… who knows.

I don’t agree, the entire reason they bothered corrupting the orcs as a vanguard was because they already tried to commit a full scale invasion like you suggested during the WotA and failed.

The plan got screwed cause Gul’dan divided the Horde in his bid for the Tomb of Sargeras, thus the Alliance ended the war in a strong position and needed a second vanguard, the Scourge.

The Horde was supposed to defeat the Alliance, then Gul’dan opens the portal in the Tomb of Sargeras to allow a portal on Azeroth to invade through.

They did that, they sent legions through the Well of Eternity’s portal. They still lost.

I guess the problem with relying entirely on magic to defeat an enemy is, if they have magic, they can counter it. Which happens in WoW quite a lot. Heck even the Plague got cured eventually.

2 Likes

I feel like this makes the Legion seem a bit inept, well even more so. They are basically shooting spitwads at the wall and seeing what sticks if they are gambling on a race they don’t even have much control over.

I don’t think the conditions are close to being similar to say it wouldn’t warrant a second try. Ten thousand years have passed on Azeroth, the planet itself is different. Invading at a completely differently location and corrupting half the world before attacking is different than trying to corrupt and control a race that was feeding off the well of eternity.

I figure they would have some idea of what they are facing, after all, they have the Guardian in their pocket.

But that was what they were trying to do. The Horde was to take over the Eastern Kingdoms, and then summon the Legion for the rest.

As for why orcs and not, say, a disease, well the orcs were supposed to join the Legion. The Legion don’t just consume worlds, they recruit too, and the orcs were supposed to become members of the Legion when they were done.

Well I mean… they kinda are inept, and that’s been their constant downfall. Most of their victories are through subterfuge and lies, rather than outright invasion.

Well Sargeras wanted a new race to add to the ranks of the Legion for the invasion, and the orcs were chosen for that as adaptive warriors. The corruption was going fine until Orgrim slaughtered the Shadow Council. That was when the Legion lost control of the Horde situation.

But then, the Legion’s attempts at pawns turning against them is common enough. Not just the Horde, but the Scourge too, heck Kil’jaeden recruited Illidan to work for him, a dude who was actively plotting against him.

1 Like

Creating a stable long-term portal between the Twisting Nether (where the Legion is) and a world in the Great Dark requires an enormous amount of power to be fed into the process from the Great Dark’s side of things.

That’s why they used the orcs. Azeroth and Draenor are both worlds in the Great Dark, so they could be more readily bridged by a self-sustaining portal. The whole idea was for the orcs to reopen the portal in the Tomb of Sargeras (a pre-made portal to the Twisting Nether - specifically to Argus - from during the WotA) while crippling any nations on Azeroth along the way and facilitate a new full-scale demonic invasion. It was necessary because as a wold in the Great Dark, Draenor couldn’t simply be invade either; it too would require a similar expenditure of power to bring the demons - and most importantly, Sargeras himself - over in force.

In the same vein, the purpose of the Scourge was to demolish a bunch of potential resisters, then facilitate Archimonde and his personal guard reaching Nordrassil and using the vast power of the Well under it to create a new stable portal to the Nether that could accommodate an invasion.

They also used the orcs the first time (well, second time after WotA) because the Guardian Aegwynn had warded the portal in the Tomb against any demon or race from Azeroth reaching and opening it. As mortals from another world, the orcs - and Gul’dan specifically - bypassed that safeguard.

2 Likes

Why would they need to summon the Legion if the Legion could just walk through the same portal?

They seemed to have zero supervision. If you want to say Gul’dan was the liaison between the Legion and the Orcs, again, it makes the Legion look inept.

The Legion’s plans that involve outright invasions never seem to work out for them. They tried in the War of the Ancients, they tried in the Sunwell, they tried in Legion, The Legion outright invading Azeroth fails.

Honestly sending a vanguard like the Horde or Scourge has been the Legion’s most successful attempts at taking Azeroth since the WotA. They still fail, but the Third War was the closest they have come since WotA.

You have powerful demon lords that are a danger, but the average Legion soldier just seems unreliable at best.

3 Likes

Actually, he did the movie thing as well.

Nearly every Ddraenei prisoner who still lived was brought to the base of the Dark Portal. At the moment the ritual began, Gul’dan drained all of their life essences in an instant. That massive spike of power created the spark needed to cross such a large distance.

Chronicle 2 page 116.

Looks like this was mentioned anyway.

Where is a cure mentioned? Only source I found on that was the end of the Wrath pre-patch event, which seems like dubious proof to me, does that really count? I mean, if there is a cure why didn’t the Alliance bring some when they stormed Capital City at the start of BFA? I know we don’t have all the sharpest tools in the shed, but c’mon, we aren’t run by retards, someone would have brought up bringing some vials of plague cure along.

Well that was the point of the questline for that with Putress, curing it to stop the spread of zombies.

The Blight Forsaken use and the Plague of Undeath are not the same. It is a heavily mutated and altered Plague of Undeath developed over the course of various Wrath of the Lich King quests. You can see it under New Plague in WoWpedia.

1 Like