Guilds with hearing impaired, colorblind, mic-less players - How do you handle Mekkatorque?

Wondering how other guilds that can’t rely on voice comms 100% are handling heroic Mekkatorque. We are struggling when a few of our raiders are shrunk and can’t help out with the robots other than typing out colors – but it’s getting lost in the shuffle of all the other raid chat. Anyone have any tips that could help?

One thing I’ve considered for next week is possibly creating a new chat channel that’s ONLY for robot color communications, and asking players to join that and create a separate chat window with everything else filtered out. Not sure if this’ll work out very well, but I haven’t come up with any other ideas yet. It seems like typing it out might be too slow.

For this boss typing really isn’t an option, especially on heroic. Voice comms are almost necessary. If you’ve got some people uncomfortable with talking in a Discord or WoW VoIP or something, just have them come in to listen and you can assign people to call out.

The strategy I have found that works the best each time is you need to make it absolutely clear everyone needs to keep it quiet during the bot call outs, and then whoever spots someone in a robot first calls out their name, then their color.

Like,

“Viq, red. Viq, blue. Viq, purple.”
“Myis, green. Myis, blue.” etc

It’s kind of a communication mess, but if people speak clearly and call out the name and color, it works out. Just super clear communication.

1 Like

How the hell did I post from my Monk

Why not make a macro with %t for the whisper target? Have one set for each colour on a spare action bar. Then click on the other robot and call their colours with the assigned macros.

1 Like

I don’t think Ysm understands the heroic mechanic. You can’t “assign” people to call out in heroic. If I’m in a robot the ONLY other person that can see my colours is the other person that’s in THEIR robot. Assigning a callout isn’t an option.

Macros work. It can be a whisper macro (I wouldn’t have thought of that, but it’s a good idea), or it can just be in raid chat, though that’s hard.

If they’re colourblind then go with the shape.

1 Like
  1. There is enough time to type the buttons.
  2. There are addons supposedly that will quick whisper the robot’s controller.
  3. The tool tip will tell you the color.

I’m colorblind, I couldnt tell the yellow from the greem but i just hovered over it and got the right one from my tooltip.

There is an all deaf mythic raiding team - Undaunted on Ner’zhul - I wonder how they’re handling it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/5o9kwo/durus_veritas_the_deaf_guild_finally_killed/

2 Likes

The issue with using raid chat is some people have dbm or wigs report in raid chat. So even if you create a second window just for announcements, you’ll need to make sure nobody is reporting in that channel or it’ll spam out the robot info. It doesn’t have to be /w, it could be a newly created channel with another window.

There will likely be something added to dbm or wigs for this boss I’d say

Yes, I’d be interested to see how that all-deaf guild is handling it. We have quite a few that are deaf and haven’t really had issues until this boss. We’re having trouble with people typing it in chat because it’s getting lost in the shuffle of all the other crap that gets spammed in chat during a raid encounter from mods/weakauras. There isn’t enough time for them to try and scroll back up and read what was said.

We found a weakaura that displays the color under the icons in the hotbar, so that’s helping with that issue.

For colourblind people call out the actual item ie screw, wrench, chicken, etc

Okay but what about deaf players?

There’s an addon called Endless Raid Tools which you could check out.
It gives a UI which gives a shrunken player another shrunken player “target” and five buttons corresponding to the shutdown code.
Apparently it sends the color via a message, so you’d just need to have everyone know the color correspondence to the icons.

For hearing impaired or mic-less players make macros and promote the necessary players.

/rw %T

and whatever you’re designating as the buttons / differentiating them

That should work, if they target the player not the bot, and post it in raid warning

Just have them be the first ones dead so they don’t even have to even do it lol

They’re not on him yet at all. 3/9 H, no Normal.

Google up weak auras or Endless Raid Tools for the fight. Both can be used to silentlly send commands to other members. Or, a targeting macro to msg the person their code in chat if you don’t want to mess with addons.

For colorblind, there are shapes showing and on the icons. You can also have someone not color blind make a sheet/explain or w/e what icons are which so people can memorize it. In the macro you could even have something like “Red- Wrench” so those colorblind and not can get the command easily.

You can just as easily complete the robots by typing as talking. It’s a bit slower, but totally doable.

For colourblind I have now memorised them (the tricky ones I really needed to memorise are green spring and yellow screw; the rest are easy enough for deuteranomaly), but just calling out the shapes got us the kill.

Method had this issue as I remember Josh talking about it live on stream. Not sure how they dealt with it but obviously they figured something out lol

Sure, on normal, where everyone can see the symbols on the robots. On Heroic and forth, you need that “assigned person” to be randomly shrunk