Guilds (and who to avoid?)

I’m obsessed with how poorly thought out that list of punishments is. What’s the practical difference between “communication ban” and “blacklist”? Why would you allow someone who’s gotten kicked from one guild to apply to another? Why is yelling at someone over voice chat as opposed to text considered a more severe punishment?

Good Lord.

2 Likes

‘Guild laws’. If you call your rules laws, maybe you’re making yourself sound more important than you actually are.

While I can commend a sincere desire to keep things drama-free and enjoyable across a large community, this whole punishment list sounds fairly ineffective and super over-controlling.

Any guild that tells me to donate to prove my loyalty would promptly get laughed at before being blocked. I don’t play games to join a cult ponzy-scheme.

4 Likes

This would pretty much be me if i had to sit in discord and listen to some kid lecture me about how much of a bad bad boy i was being.

What is this scientology?

5 Likes

Yeah, the LOTRO branch is lead by Elrond Hubbard.

8 Likes

We’re weenie hut junior.

1 Like

I was in Knights of Sokan for a short time. They were -really- into their roleplay. I mean I am pretty serious about my rp but this was a whole new level. My character was accepted as a padawan but I was quizzed, tested, and grilled on lore, combat, and philsophy all the same in voice chat and through text. It was not just my character learning to be a Jedi, I was too and separately. And for my character to become a Jedi Knight, I was told that I would have to take a 3 hour in voice test. That is much longer than any final I ever had in College. Plus I only had 2 months to learn it which became a problem due to RL. Being in that guild literally became my job and kept me from finding a job which I needed because the guild kept making demands that I stay on schedule and threatened me with punishment if I didn’t. Overall it was a very unhealthy enviroment for me that killed my motivation to even log in. The stress of it just loomed on me constantly. Now I am glad to be out of it and I will never go back.

7 Likes

Oof. Taking your RP seriously is all well and good, but… that’s just absurd. People need to know where the game begins and ends, and where irl begins. At least you’re far away from that mess.

2 Likes

“I find your lack of lore comprehension … disturbing.” Force Chokes the newbie

Yeah, when a group is asking for more effort in a game than you put in to a paying job, it’s time to stop, step back and avoid eye-contact with them until you can get the hell outta dodge.

4 Likes

I have no idea how people even roleplay in Star Wars; given its modern storytelling philosophy of “give everything larger than a grain of Tatooine sand a backstory,” you’d need an advanced degree just to keep everything straight.

2 Likes

See this is why you should just be sith.

In my experience the Sith acolyte / master dynamic was just a shallow excuse for bdsm.

4 Likes

You picked up on that too, eh?

1 Like

It’s not even subtle.

1 Like

Well OP I think its safe to say you won’t find Horde guilds very welcoming so I would avoid those.

3 Likes

I was removed pretty quickly because I laughed at them when they asked me to buy a t-shirt, about 2 minutes after joining.

5 Likes

I got yelled at by one of their brainwashed spambots for responding to one of their “Do U WaNt a UnIQuE N ImUrsiV Rp ExpUrEOunCE LikE nO oThur” with “Yeah let me know when a guild like that appears.”

It’s low hanging fruit at this point

3 Likes

Is the Brotherhood of the Horse still considered a problem guild?

That is who they are speaking of.

Who to join and who to avoid guild-wise should be up to your personal preference, and what you are looking for out of a guild. Straight up though, just avoid anything with “Empire” in it, or if the guild is run by a snack of the varsity variety.

6 Likes

I was part of the Jedi Sokan guild too. I had fun for a good while, honestly, but that was because I had enough free time to keep up and do other things… which wasn’t a good thing.

Signing up on the enjin website was mandatory. You had to take (albeit easy) quiz just to join “officially.” Every single day there were the classes and actually operated like school classes. Lecture, questions, demonstration, practice until the bell. You had to jot down on your lessons tracksheet what classes you took what day with what teacher. You had to attend all of the classes at least once to even be partially eligible for the Knight trials. You also had to have been picked up as somebody’s padawan, gone through their own constructed trials and lessons, and (you can mark yourself a beginner or whatever in ANOTHER forum sheet what powers you know) have reached a certain minimum in known powers.

That’s just what you gotta spend the first few weeks doing. The actual Knight trials involved a Shii-Cho exam with freaking 3+ paragraphs of detailing every little muscle movement you do and the more you write, the better you are, to them. I had to type everything out in a google docs and then copy and paste into the chat bar. It took HOURS and by the time I got out of it and was knighted, I didn’t want to RP on SWTOR anymore.

The officers and stuff were nice enough, members were super friendly and helpful and I liked the immersion, until I began realizing just how insanely overbearing it was. Lowkey why I’ve avoided Volkar unfortunately, because I kinda assumed that that’s what “Heavy RP” means and I cannot go through that again. But looks like that’s just Sokan’s extremism.

#SokanSurvivor lmao

6 Likes

I think you’re forgetting the force sensitive grain of tatooine sand named Ggeeein Freegloeb that sensed Anakins dark side when he was a baby and warned Yoda through the force network

4 Likes