Guild Bank Missing Items Update

This isn’t true. I’ve run an active guild since 2007, currently with nearly 70 different accounts in it, over 600 characters. We didn’t lose everything, but we lost a substantial amount - primarily battle pets, transmog gear and flasks/potions that are useful across expansions. Luckily I’d done a pre-new expansion clearout not long before this bug hit, otherwise we’d have lost a heck of a lot more.

We’ve so far had NOTHING back.

However, I think what we’ve got to remember here is that this all ONLY affected guilds. Blizzard has shown consistently over many years now that they do not care about guilds at all. I get the feeling that Blizzard don’t really understand how we use them, and why.

I don’t know what happened … because years and years ago, they did seem to care. Perhaps the people who were guild enthusiasts left Blizzard, or they just decided to focus on making the game more solo-friendly.

But now … nothing. There have been so many bugs related to guilds, things that they “fixed” or introduced that made things worse, things that really are not “fit for purpose” that, despite reports, requests and the occasional long-term begging, have been ignored.

This whole farce just confirms this in a massive “in your face” manner.

I predict that now they’ve dropped this bombshell - that will be it. There will be no additional meaningful communication from them. There will be no compensation or additional attempts at returning the actual items that went missing (as opposed to some random rubbish they had in the back of the cupboard). Their responses, if they make any, will be along the lines of “sorry, that’s all we can (will) do”.

Any threads about it will be ignored, like several about other guild issues that have been going on for years with no input or acknowledgement.

Anyone using guilds currently and in the future are doing so despite Blizzard, not because of them.

Prove me wrong, Blizzard, I dare you.

16 Likes

I had a bunch of items in 4 different tabs (total) in my 4 bank guilds mysteriously reappear, over a week before false “restoration”. It was nowhere near everything, but there were items that were not there one day that poofed back into existence the next. I didn’t have anything valuable in my guild banks. Purely by coincidence, when I came back for Dragonflight, I saw how little space there was for things like old crafting mats, and I sold off all the valuable stuff. Dragon scales that can’t be obtained any more, things like that.

All I had in my guild banks at the time of the issue was profession agnostic Dragonflight crafting materials, and just miscellaneous odds and ends here and there.

1 Like

Their job IS the video game. They messed it up, cost paying customers. That is indeed worthy of losing ones job. That saying…“they had one job”…and they blew it.

5 Likes

Looks like we got what we got. That’s it. No Mounts, armor, weapons, toys, pets, gold, player letters. Basically, no items other than partial replacement of bags, quest items, and mats were returned…

1 Like

This really makes me feel queasy. I certainly hope this is not true.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: No!

1 Like

This is NOT acceptable. You have backups, you know exactly what was in our guild banks on the day this bug started. Anything less than a COMPLETE restoration is basically you saying you want me to cancel all my accounts!

17 Likes

I can’t determine if that person is genuinely that clueless and a huge shill, or just a troll. Poe’s Law.

3 Likes

I removed every drop of gold from my guild bank when I heard there was an issue. I was told - oh gold will be ok…yea I didn’t chance it and I’m glad I didn’t. Everything else (well 99.9999% of it) went poof into the void.

2 Likes

I just logged into all the GM’s of my guilds (and kept notes). I thought I had 18 guilds, turns out I have 21.

Of the 21, here’s the data.

1 GM had a mail, it was 16 Leyblood, the guild bank is still missing EVERYTHING else. There are logs showing deposits (no withdrawals) yet all I get is 16 Leyblood.

The other 20 guilds, some seem to have magically had some items re-appear, but the majority are still decimated. There are 5 with ZERO items in them still. And again, every single one of them has logs showing deposits with no withdrawals and the items missing.

This wasn’t a fix, this is a JOKE.

10 Likes

The fix is to spend more money on sub fees so you can waste even more time and money (time is money so square it) re-grinding everything (assuming it’s still obtainable of course) until this happens again, then repeat it.

Brilliant 10/10 financial decision made by Blizzard. Hands down best decision this company has ever made that is great for the game.

2 Likes

None of the above.

Ya’ll keep reporting me for trolling and the messages keep getting reinstated. Why? Because I’m not trolling, I’m simply telling ya’ll to get upset about stuff that is actually stuff to get upset about and stop mischaracterizing what folks are saying.

Blizzard messed up, but no they didn’t do it on purpose, no it makes no sense that “they don’t care” (since when has it been a successful strategy to piss off your customers to maintain subscribers), and no what Blizzard did was partially to be expected … which is the part ya’ll keep thinking I’m saying to troll when I’m not.

You, Breel, and others who keep going “But you are a shill” for pointing out what is the most likely cause for this and also why and how something like this was to be expected. Not liked, as you in particular keep thinking I have said, but the reality is that what Blizzard did was do what folks wanted 'em to do: make the game cross-faction and open up so we have access to our characters on other realms.

Doing that meant messing with 20+ year old code and made several items that weren’t supposed to be able to put together and put them together.

Nowhere in this do I tell people to not get upset or frustrated, but I do tell people to get some perspective because… the hell is one supposed to do? Blizzard can’t fix something which is impossible to fix, and they can’t say “hey, you actually asked us to do this even though neither you or us were prepared for the types of bugs that this caused.”
You want better communication? Then yeah, you gotta accept messages like that. But folks don’t, folks instead scream “shill, clueless, troll, etc.”

If you think this was as bad as it was (and yes, this was bad) and you don’t want to play … then don’t. I’m not telling you to find it* acceptable but I’m saying that this is stuff that happens when dealing with old tech. I said in my original response to you this:

Be frustrated, be angry, but… if you can’t accept that this is stuff that happens when messing with 20+ year old databases that weren’t future proofed (as we know Blizzard didn’t develop the game to be back in the day, so it is exceedingly logical to assume that systems that weren’t ever meant to be accessible together aren’t compatible)… Your only option is to vote with your wallet and go elsewhere. Calling folks for “shills, clueless, and trolls” for pointing this out to you just makes it sound like some real damn heavy projection on your part.

Get real. This isn’t a 2-man amateur shop, this is a billion-dollar AAA gaming company backed by a massive software conglomerate.

9 Likes

I would rather have 3 months free game time for each of my accounts. Not just one account, but all of them, because all of them are affected.

2 Likes

Solid stone was one of the things I got back along with some ore but none of the bars in that tab were returned…

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

You used a lot of words to laughably say “I don’t think Blizzard should have to worry about backing up data before making big changes.”

8 Likes

I really feel like something should be done for compensation. The big problem with that is the amount of loss is vastly different from one guild to another as well as the more space you had the more potential loss you had.

Any compensation should be per guild based on the number of tabs rather than to an account.

6 Likes

happy 20th blizzard you cant even be bothered to make your customers whole.

7 Likes

The lack of response by Blizzard is totally reprehensible.

10 Likes