Guide to the new gamepad/controller support in 9.0.1!

I really like this feature. I haven’t found a way to change the left shoulder to a regular button and not a modifier so I still use joy to key to make that a button press and leave all other keys blank… this works great for me and I can still hold Lshoulder to use it as a modifier… for anyone looking for a good software to try check out joy to key…

Thanks for making this post!

I don’t think gamepad support is yet to the point where it’ll convince me to give WoW another real shot, but they’re improving, and that is to be encouraged.

Oh man, I need this feature so bad. I have an injured back and sitting for long periods is damn near impossible, making putting time in to wow difficult.

being able to play wirelessly from bed or from the couch, would make my life so much better for gaming.

I used this set up before Shadowlands and now I can’t get anything to work right.

The game client recognizes the controller for movement just fine but, I am unable to change my key bindings and even the default bindings aren’t accurate. Ex: Default “A” key is Jump. Problem is that button , along with at least 2 other buttons open up my bags. If I get”A” button to jump, it then switches X, Y and B buttons to open my bags.

I’ve tried to go into key bindings via Blizz menu and controller calibration settings and nothing will remain changed. I can change it but, the “save” button is greyed out.

I started with a lvl 1 so it’s not other configurations causing issues. I can’t even remove my default action bars via menu.

All of these things I was able to do before
Xpac with little to no issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I do this with a wireless kb&m and a flat board that sits on my lap.

In your situation, I highly recommend FF14 it’s the overall second best MMO to WoW, but does some things better like the story, cutscenes, and music. Class design and dungeons are very good, and you’ll have about the same amount of skills as WoW. I’ve been playing FF14 on and off since launch in 2013 and bought all the expansions. WoW since 2004.

FF14 did an incredible job designing the game around the PS3/PS4 controller from the start. I play on PS4, and you have instant access to 32 hot keys…you can add extra bars for misc skills/items. At least half the PC players use a controller. PC and PS4 players are mixed in together. The current FF14 expansion Shadowbringers got 9/10 reviews.

2 Likes

Came across this while googling. Great guide btw. If I turn this on then decide to go back to keyboard and mouse, will my original custom keybindings be there or is everything going to get messed up?

I am using a DS4 with DS4windows. The right bumper and trigger doesn’t work for left and right click. I can use the touchpad to move the cursor and press it to left click but its annoying because when I try to accept a quest and try to left click the cursor moves because I am also touching the touchpad. Is there any reason why left and right click doesn’t work with the bumper and trigger. I tried using /console GamePadCursorLeftClick PADRTRIGGER but it still doesn’t work.

Just starting to get into wow for the first time. I also use the azernon gamepad. did you figure out how to rotate the camera while moving? I have tried different settings and changing the gamepad thumb stick to wasd and use that to move and just keybind the s to something else since walking backwards is just straight nuts.

If your new to WoW, and have aspirations to be an at least average player, I recommend learning the mouse and KB.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/new-player-need-helptipsadvice/783386/6

2 Likes

The Azernon is more of a Keyboard replacement then an actual gamepad, comparable more to a Logitech G13 or a Razer Tartarus more so than a xBox 360 controller or a Switch Pro controller.

As somebody who has used the Logitech G13 the Razer Tartarus, and the xbox 360 controller (With the controller being my main control device since Cata, thanks to WoWMapper and ConsolePort), I’d highly recommend using a mouse with the Azeron and treating the Azeron more as a keyboard replacement.

I don’t know how to think of Blizzard’s controller support. I know it’s new, but my brain is built around the WoWMapper method.

Is there a way to turn off the 360 turning, so that you move like you did back in ConsolePort 1.9 and earlier?

This is the type of thing they should have paid someone to write.

2 Likes

i got a Retropad that’s shaped like a 6-pad Genesis controller

i’m kinda tempted to mess with that and see how it works

but yeah happy they finally added this function for folks who prefer gamepads or are unable to use a keyboard for any reason

Right Button/Bumper and Right Trigger is giving me problems.

As of right now, for the life of me I can’t get any controls to work to do the task of interacting, target, and also looting.

Am I the only one that can’t get the cursor mode to work unless i enable GamePadCursorAutoEnable and then i can get the cursor to show up when i press start on my xbox controller but i can no longer get the menu to come up by using the start button. I have searched everywhere and nobody else has this issue it seems like.

1 Like

Upon startup cursor is dragged to the left and is fixed until ive tabbed out and in. When trying to play with an xbox controller, doesn’t work.

Things I’ve tried doing were /console GamePadEnable 1, launching different games such as warzone, and resetting settings. Works with other games but has stopped working with worldofwarcraft. Thank you for your time.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=320806/desmephisto-earns-keystone-master-using-a-console-controller

Kinda unimpressed with how Blizz handled the controller setup tbh. I was expecting some kind of polish. This seems like too much work for a pseudo controller experience.

Maybe if I use console port with this…

Edit: If there was an interact button this would actually be alright. Seems kinda strange that wow is the only mainstream mmo without one.