Guide to Orc Clan Development

That's more than fair, I'm very passionate about Clan guilds and RP but have changed my stance on some things over time regarding community and our role in trying to change it. I still approve heartily of the entire thread because I do think the best way to go about things is to attract the kind of people you want to play with by being a good example....so fingers crossed this helps with that! 8D

What really got me invested in reading was that you hit on something I have been thinking for years, about toxicity in the Orc Clan communities, which really was so dampening I took a long, long break from WoW because of it.

It's nice to see some passionate people giving their advice and I really do hope to see more things like this going forward! What drew me to the Horde way back in the early 2000s was the sense of community in a band of misfits, struggling to survive by helping each other, and keeping and sharing their traditions of old with the next generation. Immersive Clan-RP is the best kind of RP I've -ever- participated in and when I am away from it, I feel a Clan-shaped hole in my heart. ;(

Thank you for taking my words as just another perspective, rather than negatively. I have not seen much of your Clan around yet, but I will be lucky if I get a chance to interact with them! (Server transport, though was on here a long time ago...trying to find a home here and decide who is worth paying to transfer LOL!)

Thanks and have a lovely night!
1 Like
I am so glad you enjoyed as much and, judging from what you said, are as passionate about the concept as I am!

I've been on board with the Horde since Warcraft 2 and my love for them has only grown. Warcraft 3 changed everything I knew about orcs and the Horde, for the better! I started with clan RP in vanilla and when I'm Horde I'm usually running or co-running such communities. I'm hoping to see them be reborn and their legacy cleaned up and continued.

Our clan is fairly reclusive, staying far away in Grizzly Hills. We only come to Orgrimmar or Horde territory to get supplies and recruit newbloods. Occasionally participating in server events that we would ICly be apart of or support.

If you want to come hang out with us, see what we're about and all that, feel free to nudge me in game. I'll give you a OOC ride to Storm Home and you can mingle with the clan. :]
1 Like
I'm not an Orc, nor do I play one on tv.

But I do want to thank you for taking the time and initiative to write such a detailed post. You're an asset to the community.
1 Like
I would actually really, truly love that, Vuraka! Thank you for the invite to come see what your'e all about. I did some digging through the forum to find the guild recruitment and it looks amazing. :)

I'm trying to wrap up some last minute get-them-before-they're-gone things in Legion, but once those are done and I have more free time to focus on my roleplay I'll definitely shoot a whisper your guild's way to come check you out!
1 Like
Update: I added a bit about spiritualism under Four Pillars - Tradition that I omitted when I overhauled the first draft. It could have been its own Pillar but it ties into tradition. All clans have a shared spiritualistc background in honoring and respecting the answers. Though thag's translated differently from clan to clan. Then some revere the wilds or spirits as much as they do the ancestors. And some just want to kill things to please their forefathers.

Thank you, Axiann. Your words are very kind!

I feel you there, Telupi. Been tending to the guild in my free time so I haven't been able to get a jump on that stuff. I'll be around when you're ready. Alternatively, Burskrim runs a caravan through Orgrimmar. So you can whisper him if you want to make it a IC trek across Northrend.
07/03/2018 11:08 PMPosted by Vuraka
The Horde Elf societies have been living posh, clean and catered lifestyles for the last few hundred to few thousand years. Blood Elves have only been a part of the Horde for only a few years in Azeroth time. Nightbourne are fresh additions to the Horde. Neither race, individually or as a whole, are suited to joining a clan that probably doesn’t bathe very often, is likely nomadic and never stays in one place for too long, literally has no luxuries or comfort and struggles just to survive. A clan has no greater mission or objective or goal than simply surviving. The elves are only open to living that way because they’re really only humans behind the screen, living in a world that is becoming increasingly open to change and diversity and thus bringing that mentality into a world that is bigoted, hate filled and on the verge of nuclear fallout. They would not make such a drastic change in their lifestyles after hundreds or thousands of years living a life where even the peasants are taken care of….unless the peasants become wretched.

Thank you, I could not have expressed it better myself. An Elf wanting to live like an Orc is like some one from America wanting to live in a place like Kashmir (highest contested war zone in the world) because they think their lives are too, in the words of those types of RPers "Stuffy and boring."
1 Like
Exactly! Those types always struck me as the bored, self-entitled children of the Blood Elf upper class. Only going to join a clan or "live like an orc" because they have nothing better to do, yet throw a tantrum when you point something that out.

I could go more into this but then I'll really derail and taint this thread. I'd rather not do that.

Thank you for responding to me and even moreso for being an elf that agrees with that perspective!

Edit: Should I also post a list of the canon clans, their themes and overviews of their cultures and rites (if applicable)? I know they're gone on Azeroth but it could help with new age clan origins as well as character development.
1 Like
This is awesome!
You're awesome too, Random Poster Dude!
One thing I feel it is almost necessary to point out is that you're absolutely right, the clan mentality is dead.

If you're leading a clan guild, you are on no higher standing than any other orc. Just because you have decided to call yourself chieftain, that does not inherently make you better than any other orc. The foundation of the New Horde is that all orcs are free, and all orcs are the same - regardless of clan background. That is necessary for the sake of the New Horde to continue to flourish.

You do not need a clan guild to get some of the "good ol days" vibes and feel. You can easily make an organization or something to that regard. There is the opportunity for things such as warbands, mercenary companies, and more - even arms of the Horde military or other organizations. Your Orc does not have to be militaristic at all, it is a new age after all. It is also worth asking the question as to why your character would abandon the ideal of their own clan, their own tribe, or caste for the sake of your brand spanking new one that has been born in an age where the idea of clans (especially for orcs) means absolutely nothing other than your own culture and ideals.

There is a reason that the Frostwolf Clan is the only clan that actually remains in present time: it is because they are not truly a part of the New Horde. They remain in Alterac.

The Warsong Clan exists in name, like many of the clans but they serve a purpose - dealing with the border skirmishes at Ashenvale. The Shattered Hand exists in name, serving as the Warchief's (forgotten) spy network. So on and so forth.

You will find that the majority of the time where clan identity is worth anything, it is because they are not a part of the Horde.

In the same regard (SPOILERS AHEAD)

the Mag'har from Draenor will ideally have something of the same outlook due to the fact that they were surviving together, as a Horde rather than living apart as clans. Grom Hellscream was their leader and all the different clans were living together to survive the aftermath of the Draenei's attempt to indoctrinate them all into the Light. While they might have more of a tie to the clan ideology, they are still not the same as the Old Horde or Pre-Horde orcs.

I do not think that clans are healthy for the RP community with the climate of the lore. I do not think that guilds that purposely center around a handful of races are healthy in that one of the biggest problems (I believe) WRA faces is exclusion mostly on Horde than on Alliance.

Just a couple of thoughts I had on the topic.
(I'm sorry, again two posts cause I can't limit myself apparently :( )

I don't think anyone has ever said that, but I could be wrong. A leader is only a leader so long as people follow them, regardless of title or authority. If someone proposes an idea and others agree to it, they will follow it and that person is a leader, even if they are completely equal. A leader has only as much power as their followers allow, so I do not see any issue with this.

An orc, or otherwise, finds a family or group (be it clan, warband, mercenary company, or otherwise) that the ideals and goals resonate with them. If they change their mind, they are able to leave and pursue a new person to follow. I don't think it's about being better than anyone else, only trying to achieve a goal that inspires others who feel similarly.

You mention making another kind of organization, but to be honest, all your ideas listed were military, each and every one. Warbands, mercenary companies, etc. Let's be honest, though, for a second. You're just calling a lot of the same things by different names, which is fine, but if the organization ends up being the exact same thing just called the Somethingsomething Coalition but otherwise operates the exact same, it's still basically a clan/tribe.

As to the last part, about the idea of clans meaning absolutely nothing other than your own culture and ideas - that's exactly what I love about clan/tribe guilds. They're a small family-style unit with their own culture, tradition, ideals, and goals who live and work and enjoy time with one another in pursuit of those things.

For the sake of currently existing lore clans in game, I cannot disagree with you that many clans operate outside the Horde, but they are still a part of it/closely tied to it!! But I would instead liken the approach to clans as one does religion in a country like the US where there is freedom to pursue the religion of your choice, and people should be all considered equal in the eyes of the law. You're going to have people from all walks of life finding their purpose, whether through family units of their size and choice of composition or religious doctrine ranging from Zeus to Christianity to Scientology, if they're even religious at all.

A clan/tribe is basically a group of people banding together to say these are the things that are important to me, and I wish to pursue them with like-minded people who understand and accept that part of me.

In another vein, there has been a lot of disillusionment with the Horde player-characters and it's current parade of terrible behavior and warchiefs that many people who subscribed to the idea of the New Horde disagree with, as such, have distanced themselves from the Horde at large and are more like neutral/allies with it. I tend to actually seek out clan/tribes that are like that, myself, because while I loved what the Horde was - I cannot tolerate the overall tone of what it has become, so I seek out the groups that distance themselves from it and return to the "old ways", so to speak.

For many, a return to the old ways is exactly what people do when they try something new and it doesn't appear to be working out or benefiting them. They go "whelp, guess I was wrong! Back to what we were doing before!" whether that's correct or not, but it is consistent with human behavior. "Why should I change a system that worked for hundreds of years? We tried to do that and (in our eyes) it failed."
1 Like
I think there are too few Clans as it is, and let's be honest...the exclusion runs both ways. Forsaken have always played in their own guilds, for the most part. Goblins never quite fit the spiritualistic side of the Horde and run their Cartels moreso than anything else. Blood Elves always had their House/Magister/Paladin guilds, and Nightborne now do as well. Pandaren are so rare I tend to forget they are part of the game, but they usually mesh beautiful with the old themes of spirituality that were rampant in the former Orc/Tauren/Troll community. Tauren tend to run their own tribes, and Highmountain just slid perfectly into that. Orcs had their clans, trolls had their tribe, etc.

I think there are also plenty of ways to still be inclusive by interacting with the world at large and other player groups, that works around the baseline of the guild composition being primarly 1-3 races.

In the past, there used to be a Horde Compact that worked around the exclusion. People could live in their X-themed group and have a monthly meeting with representatives for all races to discuss current issues and mingle with each other. That was always my favorite kind of thing, to be honest.

A lot of groups I see now are actually more inclusive to other races, they just tend to get more of one thing than another - which is really out of their control, since it's all based on what the people who want to play want.

I, for one, enjoy the Horde best when it's comprised of that old Horde feel with Orcs/Taurens/Trolls coming together and bonding, sharing their rituals, making new families and traditions together. And that's from a gal with like 6 Nightborne and 2 Belves I've made, who I also happily play, ROFL.
Clan guilds are most often the Orc/Dwarf equivalent to House guilds. Whether it was said or not, it tends to be something of the effect of some kind of foundation to lift one person up and celebrate them. This isn't always the case, but it happens more often than I care to admit. And that's just RP guilds in general, the stakes are made easier when it is literally a guild centered around a figurehead, a family, or more.

I listed military guild ideas because that tends to be the most popular thing, in general. Alliance or Horde.

I lead a warband guild, but it isn't organized like a military. They are the people that matter to Vehesh and the warband itself is an ideal that means something to Vehesh and those that follow him either accept that ideal or trust in Vehesh to lead them.

These cult of personality groups that pop up again and again only to disappear once the festering drama erupts are a problem and they tend to run rampant in the communities that are organized with a singular figurehead to be the foundation. There's a reason why OP has to remind people not to go for harem clans, etc. It is not an easy path to walk, especially when the path literally has no bearing or meaning in the Horde.

I firmly stand by the idea that made up fictional clans offer very little in the way of greasing the palm of someone to abandon their own culture and heritage for the sake of being a part of something else for the sake of following some random chieftain when the core traits of the New Horde specifically states that there are no chieftains, that there is a Warchief.

If clans were organized like they are in the New Horde - like organizations - then that would be a different story. People want to cling to that Old Horde era RP nonsense. A lot of it can be toxic because of the glorifying the traits and old cultures that the New Horde was supposed to do away with. There have even been clan guilds where you are required to pay tax each week for the "benefit of the clan" when all it ended up doing was helping the so-called chieftain.

The Warsong Clan exists as an organization of border-watchers. The Shattered Hand Clan exists as a spy-network. The only clan that exists in its classic nature with any ties to the New Horde is the Frostwolf Clan and they are not a part of the Horde. So in getting that true clan fantasy, you would literally have to not be a part of the Horde which presents problems for several characters and once again excludes you from the community.

Clan guilds can be done well, but there are extreme pitfalls that are around just the same. I've been around the RP community (I say a single community because MMORP communities are literally just extensions of each other that cycle through games, etc) for over a decade and have seen the same drama and nonsense happen again and again. Just be careful with clan guilds both in leading one and joining one.
1 Like
I don't have time to post much before going out, but I do want to stress that there is also a lot you said that I agree with but didn't have the time to point it out. I also want to add, however, almost everything you've mentioned being a concern - I agree with! But, it is not a problem exclusive to clan guilds.

It's more a people problem. I, too, have been RPing for a very long time, especially in WoW nearly since launch...and the cult of personality thing you mentioned is something important to steer clear from, but is by no means a Clan-only problem.

I have seen it in Noble guilds. I have seen it in militia guilds. I have seen it in the very sweet charity-minded guilds. One person becomes a prominent character that others rally around, and often the rank matters less than how much the player is liked.

I just don't think it's fair to shoot down one type of guild-RP themes for a thing that plagues almost every guild I've ever been in, to be honest. The reason I personally like the "old horde" themes is because of the family bonding, the usual lack of military, the rituals, the hunts, the traditions, the nature/ancestor worship, etc.

Appreciate hearing all sorts of perspectives, though, so thank you for sharing yours! :) Given me a lot to think about and I do enjoy that.
1 Like
07/07/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Vehesh
Clan guilds are most often the Orc/Dwarf equivalent to House guilds. Whether it was said or not, it tends to be something of the effect of some kind of foundation to lift one person up and celebrate them. This isn't always the case, but it happens more often than I care to admit. And that's just RP guilds in general, the stakes are made easier when it is literally a guild centered around a figurehead, a family, or more.

I said it myself that it isn't just an issue for clan guilds, but it is a problem that becomes most relevant in those types of guilds that have a single figurehead or more.
That was a very lengthy and, despite most of it being nearly an antithesis to the original post, was a very good read. Thank you both for sharing your input.

Vehesh, you're going to have to elaborate on what you mean regarding guilds that have a single figurehead or more. That pretty much covers the majority of, if not all, guilds out there considering they are ran by one person or more than one person.

And your views of orc clans are justified and warranted. I imagine you have had plenty of poor experiences with clans for any number of reasons, some of which you have highlighted. But in the greater scheme, all guilds can be view the same way. The quality of the guild should not be judged on what the theme of it is, only how it's managed and how it interacts with the community at large. I can easily point out that warband guilds rise and fall faster than clans due to similar reasons. But I digress.

The point of this post was to help future clans - as long as there will be roleplayers on WoW there will always be clans/tribes/etc - in becoming quality groups with something more to offer their ommunity, and greater community. Now, of all of this I will definitely agree on entitlement. Again, this isn't just an issue with clan guilds, but in a good majority of RP guilds out there. People try to wave their player made titles around as if it means something to those they RP around. Chieftains, head of organizations and military groups all are culprits in this regard.

I'm going to put that in as a tip. So with that, thank you for your contribution in helping the guide become even better and helpful!

Edit: I added it. Put it right at the start of Tips as I believe that should be said first.
My Warsong Orc is part of the Horde and he is AU and there is nothing you can do about it >:(

(good reads)
I obviously don't post very often these days but...correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that what clan means roughly in the horde anyways?

Clan=Organization/Battalion/Specialized Military Unit/Special Interest Group?

Warsong are roughly what old horde Outriders were, Blackrock that are back now among the horde being a backbone in Orgimmar for the forging industries, Shattered Hand/Our SI-7, I can only assume the Bleeding Hollow are more of the hordes trackers, scouts and hunters for warbands, Frostwolves serving as allies as mentioned all ready, et cetera, et ecetera.

Why not work more around that feel then that of the Frostwolf itself which is only recognized as an official ally of the Horde? I mean...it's not likely every rando old style clan is able to hold the same influence or alliance that the frostwolf has which oddly enough....I read often enough old world clans do raise their clan up to that level to justify them being inside major territorial capitals, such as Orgimmar.

I mean, hats off to that one clan that openly states they are small and only by upholding a bargain are not press ganged into the Horde, they are doing it right and well (In my opinion)
The 'clan' part was removed from them and so are no longer clans but organizations and military arms of the Horde. And so are no longer considered to be clans in the traditional sense of the word. People are still interested in clans, having their characters experience the lifestyles their ancestors did.

Anywho, this is a thread about orc clan development, made for a number of reasons highlighted previously and made throughout the original post. If you don't agree with clans or why people want to be part of them then that's fine. To each their own. But if you feel passionately about being against clans as I am in favor of them then please create another thread regarding why people shouldn't RP in them instead of turning this one into a debate. Thank you.
3 Likes
Noticed a few new clans popping up here and there. Going to give this a little bump and hope they make their way here.