Guardian mitigation issues

Guardians seem to have some mitigation issues. I had tanked a Mythic +8 on my prot Paladin and with 20% parry, I usually got Necrotic stacks in the 20s. So, then I tank a Mythic +7 on my Druid and with 21% dodge, I’m getting 40+ Necrotic stacks quickly, so I was continually using all cooldowns and Frenzied regen on my Guardian while my pally had an easy time of things. I was joking I had to take the Monty Python method of tanking and continually run away. I mention Parry and Dodge because those seem like 2 ways of avoiding Necrotic stacks and I do appear to parry on my Paladin a lot more than I dodge on my Druid.

Was it the same dungeon? Some dungeons have extra melee hitters that stacks it faster while other have casters who barely AA you and you can reset it by backpeddaling. Or maybe the avoidance DRs works differently for Parry + dodge vs Dodge only /shrug
Btw, felt like I had an easier time on my druid this week with balance affinity. I could hold threat on +9s and still reset stacks when needed without loosing aggro.
Vortex and typhon helps a lot.

comparing underrot 8 to a freehold 7, same group comp otherwise. Off the top of me head, the pulls in Freehold tend to be a little larger on average?

one thing - your Paladin has a lot more shield proc azerite traits (did you reforge your Druid’s resto traits before the +7?) - I’m not sure if Necrotic stacks on an absorbed hit or not?

Necrotic is more about kiting and not really about what class the tank is

I did my weekly +10 yesterday on my bear Druid and I didn’t have any issues? Maybe it’s just you OP? :thinking:

Necrotic isn’t too bad, if you start to get high stacks (say… 20-25 or more) then simply kite away until your stacks fall off. Usually what I do is:

quickly backpedal away (to get out of melee range) ->
-> into cat form or Stampeding Roar
-> drop a Ursol’s Vortex in the path of the incoming mobs
-> necrotic stacks should drop off by the time mobs reach you

Or even more simple:

quickly backpedal away (to get out of melee range) ->
-> pop Typhoon to knock back the trash mobs
-> into cat form or Stampeding Roar
-> get as far away as possible from the trash pack
-> necrotic stacks should drop off by the time mobs reach you

If you brought a Frost Mage, necrotic becomes a non-issue… it’s a joke lol:

got high necrotic stacks?
-> pop Typhoon and run in the opposite direction until stacks fall off
-> all the built-in Frost Mage slows should be more than enough on their own to allow you to escape the trash mobs until you clear your stacks

If you struggle with necrotic just bring a Frost Mage for ez mode :sweat_smile:

Certain trash mobs are immune to CC, so for those you will just have to pop defensives until the mob is dead (Last Stand, Survival Instincts, Ironfur, etc) or ask for a defensive from your teammates (ex. BoP).

The bottom line is, learn 2 kite

Hope this helps

I don’t think it’s Necrotic that’s the issue. I think he knows how to deal with it, it’s just that some tanks are mitigating physical damage better than bears. He’s just using Necrotic as a reference point

I think you’re overlooking the fact that Paladins have also have “block”, which Druid doesn’t have. That might explain why the Pally’s runs seemed to go smoother :thinking:

Usually a Pally will have something like 30%+ block, on top of Parry, so they simply avoid more damage when compared to a Druid.

It was the same group and I was thinking roughly the same group of mobs like after the Captains vs the skeletons after the skeleton packs after Cragmaw. I wouldn’t figure that blocking would stop it from applying it, since it doesn’t completely mitigate. One place I really got wrecked was at the beginning because of the adds that applied poison on top of the Necrotic stacks. I don’t believe I can remove the poisons in Bear form, unlike my pally, who generally is the interrupter and dispeller to help the healer save on mana.

not just blocking - but Krack is stacking 2x resounding protection, 2x bulwark of light and 1x Bulwark of Masses - between all that you likely completely absorb a lot more hits on your Pally than your Druid. Not sure however if necrotic can still apply on a hit that is completely absorbed or not.