GTX1650 4G on a Ci5-9400 12G Ram: Heat?

Hi. I’m trying to figure out if it is something in the game settings or if it is something with the video card. Playing WoW BFA on UHD630 had no case heat issues. I just installed the video card today and my case heated up.

I only have the 2 fan’s that came on the graphics card and the one on the CPU. I’ve not installed a rear case fan. It only has pins for one(Acer Aspire TC-885). I’ve said something on Acer forums and also to Nvidia over it.

It’s cooler since I shut down 3d to performance over quality, then put anti-liasing all the way down from 16x to 2, then turned all the ultra, and high settings or even a few good down to good or fair. Because I’m not sure which of the settings is causing this. The Nivida optimization puts the settings higher than the Warcraft suggested. So I turned that down to Warcraft suggested. Then it was still hot so went lower.

Not sure as I wasn’t paying attention to how long it took to heat the case before I adjusted settings by probably within 15-20 min of play.

I know people were saying Legion fried something before. I can’t remember if people were using 6G cards when that happened or what it was.

You’re going from an integrated GPU to a third party card, and using higher settings. That card is going to pump out some heat when it’s under load. You’d start running into thermal throttling and the like if it were getting too hot.

I’d suggest getting a program like CPUID HWMonitor, you can see what temps you’re pushing on the GPU and CPU.

That Acer has a small case with zero fans. Adding a GPU will cause more heat. It’s nothing to do with the game. You’ll want to add a case fan of some sort.

1 Like

I did look at it with that program. It doesn’t say the max heat values it just says the same across the board. I was planning on getting a case fan anyways. Not that it ran hot with the UHD630. It got a little warm but not bad. I’m just surprised at the heat difference given the graphics card has 2 fans on it.

What is it saying? Those three numbers across the board are the Current temp, minimum temp and max temp.

It’s saying something like 46C actual, min, and max. It has 3 columns. When I exited the game my temp went from almost 62 on system temps for cpus down to 42C almost immediately. 62C was the max. So both the graphics and cpu fan clicked in and got noisy.

Years ago in the dev form of the i5 we didn’t have the same issues because of the integrated graphics meeting our needs. It was originally a business machine that was used in earth sciences. Often to look at a radio telescopes findings. It wasn’t until a few decades later we started doing video games with them. First sort of video game/graphics improvement was from torture testing them for a different industry. Then the public versions came out about 20 years after that. I’ve been gone from the industry a long time and I’m old. I lost my fingers in a incident with the original Whirlwind system which was related to Stormwind. Their names aren’t because of their weather service job(though one did that). The old ones were big rooms and quite noisy. You had to wear protective gear for electronics.

My fingers were reattached but I lost them in an incident in Vancouver with a BC Hydro related system. My fingers got reattached. :stuck_out_tongue: My scar’s aren’t too bad. Later suffered a head injury so my memory of how to handle the odd thing is off.

Anyways enough with nostalgia. This is about trying to play the game with a modern take on an old computer.(same CPU though just smaller)

I’m going to buy a 4pin fan from Amazon. I realized after I went and clicked shipping I don’t have enough for the postage. It’s like 50 cents off. So I have to go get another amazon card. Until then I’ll keep things on minimum settings and avoid using it a certain way until then.

My current temps as I write this are(only edge browser running on windows 10):

CPU
Core 0: Current 37C, Min 35, max is 52C
Core 1: Current 36C, Min 34, max is 52C
Core 2: Current 33C, Min 33, max is 52C
Core 3: Current 35C, Min 33, max is 52C
Core 4: Current 35C, Min 33, max is 52C
Core 5: Current 35C, Min 33, max is 52C

The current on that is always fluxing. The min/max are more accurate.

Fan (Fanin1) current 728rpm, min 723rpm, and max 729rpm.

It gives 3 more temps and I’m not sure what this is for. If it’s the psu or what? I only see the PSU in there, the 2 graphics, and the 1 cpu. No case fans.

Tmp (IN0) current 41C min 41C(105F) Max 41C(107F)
Tmp (IN1) current 36C min 44C(93F) Max 39C(102F)
Tmp (IN2) current 38C min 36F(96F) Max 48C(118F)

The GPU says current 34C(93F), min 34(93F), and max 36C(96F). It doesn’t give fan speed.

My ram doesn’t have heat sinks but it’s 12G (a 4 and an 8 of 2666 DDR4). I’ll order them when I get the case fan.

It is likely a good deal of the heat those two card fans dissipate is going into the case. Pick up a 120mm case fan - install in back exhaust. Check that it is installed correctly - venting out.

OP, those temps are totally fine. Your GPU will crank out heat when it’s under load, that’s totally normal.

Acer form had a guy put in a similar card and use a 92mm fan. Not sure if a 120 would fit this. Just externally measured and it’s like 3" across on the back. I didn’t get much of a manual with it. It’s a Tc-885 Aspire with a 1151 socket that I got on sale for $499 the video card was about $240.

As Felonious said those temperatures are fine. Try turning the graphics back up to recommended settings then check temperatures.

In the meantime, you could take the side off the case for some sort of circulation. Just make sure to dust regularly. But even with the case closed, those temps are well within operating temps.

As a frame of reference, I have a liquid cooled i9-9900KS, RTX 2080ti and 32GB RAM. I have some case fans, and with the settings cranked to Ultra on 1440p monitor, and my GPU temps are usually in the 60-72 range when under load. The fan speed fluctuates accordingly.

Yes well I noticed immediate improvement turning 3d from quality to performance. Then the other things down. I was able to play over an hour. I just don’t want to cook a new system. Given I’m old and on disability.

One thing I do remember despite my stroke, etc is that if you go to a above 8G card some caught fire. We stopped with a 10 or 11 because 12 and 13 set the system on fire despite fans. Also it’s kind of extreme and not for gaming. It was meant for complex AV editing for movies, or rendering for engineering or building holographic worlds.(those 7d holograms you see on YouTube or in china).

The new 3d printed nano and pico itx systems run much cooler and have way lower power usage. But not available in North America and if something goes wrong with one they are completely replaced and are proximity(near field) modular.

I also remember attempts to make holographic WoW vs VR as to eye health & activity levels. It was just seen once in a commercial with printed weapons with beacons, and the VR glove wearables, etc. I miss that thing but here in North America they are listed as a new thing. They existed by the late 1960s.

Oh you’re more than fine. These newer PCs aren’t like the old days. My video card has 11GB of GDDR6. But yeah, your temps are totally normal, even with the higher graphic settings.

Nvidia specs are max temp 92C on the 1650. Intel i5 9400 is 100C on the cores. Consider your computer as a little space heater then call it a day.

Liquid cooled stuff is pretty standard these days. Having a liquid cooled CPU used to be expensive and limited to really dedicated enthusiasts, nowadays it’s fairly common. Now people are doing waterblocks on GPUs, elaborate hard tubing, reservoirs with pumps etc.

I just picked up the new 1440p monitor on Black Friday.

Alot of higher end PCs have cases and motherboards that basically have room to grow, because people who build their own like to really customize their particular rig. My case is kind of designed to be customized, there are slots for all kinds of fans, if you have the desire. I could fit maybe 9-10. Or, a pretty sweet liquid cooling set up.

I see now that the max temps for the CPU is 100C(HWMonitor says 60C max so I’m not sure if that is the hottest it reached or it’s limit), and the GPU is similar. I installed a 80mm case fan that draws air in. It’s variable but not a pvm(people seem to not be able to use those on acer). Everying is staying in the 40’s to around 56C with GPU at 42% utilization and 35% power usage.

My WD Blue 1tb seems to get about 46C and my CPU the highest I saw as core 0 hit 50.

So it’s staying somewhat cool and I can feel cool air on my legs(it’s on top of my desk). I think even though my PSU isn’t big at 300w the liteon gets hot because it has no internal fan. So I bought a new 500w PSU. Problem is the box said it had a 4 pin connector in there(2 of them) and I open it and it has 3 6 pin and one has another 2 pin. Though the connectors are sata looks like I need a slimline sata drive adapter if I switch PSU.

This was a decent thermaltake as the r2 series. It’s not as fancy as my Athlon II X3 before which had a 750w modular PSU(Gold). But that one I don’t think has the right connectors and it’s more than 10 years old.

So now trying to find a i5 400 or 500w psu, with a 4pin on it. So far my power consumption according to HWMonitor syas about 105w idling. So I’ve got room that way but the PSU generates heat itself.

I realize some of you are running much hotter systems than me. This the CPU and system stay fairly cool. It’s just when it’s going on the game the case gets hot. It’s no longer hot but warm now. That’s just with the single 80mm case fan doing positive pressure. It’s only hitting around 900RPM max but is capable of 2200RPM and the CPU is around 730RPM.(not sure what it maxes as)

These Acer’s were built as budget models. Years ago the person I was working with got the LiteOn PSU’s for “at cost” because they were the original PSU on one of the first computers. The DVDRW is in the same boat but ok. It can be swapped for a better one from a laptop, etc. The main $ was put into the CPU and RAM, with moderate to hard drive. Since the systems pretty cool and low energy it doesn’t need fans or a new CPU until anyone adds a video card. This can do the W for it but it without it’s own fan(simple psu not delux) can’t cool the board more and heats it.

Btw for anyone with an Acer the fan is not a PVM it’s just a 4 pin multi speed that uses the thermal sensor on the board. People keep trying to use PVM but it is a specific variant to the other one. PVM’s can sometimes cause cascade load problems. One once might of been involved in an EMP at a facility but that was a larger system.(I can’t remember if that was in China or the USA) Back then that fan was huge. Now they are just tiny tiny like the CPU’s get. :stuck_out_tongue: