Group loot is so bad I got more gear from a single world boss than all the bosses I killed in VotI last week

Just killing a world boss on 6 characters I had 3 pieces of gear drop.
Every single time I cleared black temple timewalking I got 2 pieces of gear except for my ret paly which only got a really weak tank trinket but even that was enough to let them queue for LFR.

Group on the other hand is just awful. The entire experience is worse because it just feels so bad to know you have to roll a 95 or higher to have a chance at getting an item usually.

I got no items from a full raid clear and someone in my group said they hadn’t gotten anything after 3 full clears already. I rolled need 17 times on my mage and I got one item when I rolled a 99.

On saturday I saw a fully min maxed sub rogue with 4pc tier already, a mythic 4/4 weapon, a 525 crafted item, literally could not get a single upgrade in there and they were just rolling need on every single thing they could.

When you have group loot, that just feels terrible because you know someone is just trying to snipe loot from people who need it. With personal loot it just doesn’t matte because you are essentially guaranteed to get something eventually.

I really hope we get personal loot back because it’s made raids feel so much worse for a lot of players.

26 Likes

No you’re not.

20 Likes

Yes you are. The boss should drop 2 items for 10 man raid and 5 items for a 25. You have a 20% chance to get an item with personal loot. If you don’t get an item from clearing an 8 boss raid you will definitely get an item next week.

From years of raids with personal loot I’ve never heard of someone clearing a raid twice and not getting a single item.

5 Likes

Evidently, PL isn’t quite as deterministic as folks like you and me would like to believe. But I can at least still say that I’d rather have the game decide on its own whether or not I get something instead of having to visibly roll against other players. Two LFR clears and I’ve won more greed and transmog rolls than I have need rolls. :sob:

5 Likes

Ideally they should be letting players trade any item they want with personal loot. I don’t really see why they think that would be bad for the game since we are already seeing the world first mythic guilds getting close to max ilvl in a week and a half after the raid starts anyway so I don’t understand what the problem is at this point.

1 Like

The amount of loot didn’t change and GL has restrictions that limit some people from rolling on stuff. PL gives stuff away to more people who don’t “need” it.

There’s nothing guaranteeing that. You still have to get lucky and actually win something. Of course with GL, as more people get items that they can’t roll on again, your odds can increase every week just depending on who else is in the raid.

3 Likes

Those restriction are gone.

I just said I saw a min maxed mythic raider rolling need on everything in LFR.

Every single item they had, even stuff from season 3, was higher ilvl than what was dropping from those bosses. They rolled need on a 480 neck when they had a 489 neck with 3 sockets on.

With personal loot, eventually the system will just give you a piece of gear your loot spec is eligible for. You don’t have to think about it it will just happen on it’s own. No stress, no watching yourself get bad rolls dozens of times or go multiple weeks without seeing a single piece of loot.

Group loot has not made raiding better for me at all. It just hasn’t and no amount of mental gymnastics I see will change that.

Group loot can also drop multiple warglaives and bows even if nobody in the raid is hunter or dh so again the argument that group loot wastes less doesn’t apply either. Seeing 3 of the same item drop from group loot on a boss is extremely common despite how many different items are in that drop pool.

1 Like

Im very much not a fan of group loot. It caused enough problems that we now have a loot system we use for our raid team. My life was much easier with personal loot… it was up to the player if they wanted to pass the item to someone who really needed or keep their 1.5% upgrade.

Since there will be someone here

That

Will

Take

Snips

Of

My

And

Argue

Each

Point,

This

Is

For

You.

Have

Fun

2 Likes

This is probably the sentiment that a huge majority of players have.

Life was just easier with personal loot. If I wanted a polearm from a boss I just set my loot spec to survival. If I wanted a bow I just set it to bm or mm. Simple, easy, stress free. You always got some loot eventually.

1 Like

You sure you just don’t understand how they work? Has to be the same item at a higher level.

PL would give this person that drop too.

You can keep repeating it, and it’ll keep being untrue. You might eventually win an item, but that’s the same case with GL.

Losing is losing whether you see the roll or not. But it sounds like your issue is just seeing your roll, so hit the button and close the window.

It’s mental gymnastics to ask for a system that literally gives you worse chances just because you don’t like seeing the rolls and think you’ll get more items.

And PL drops tons of neck/ring/back that gets wasted every week while it’s a lot rarer to see weapons, offhand/shield and good trinkets that aren’t on every loot table. A shard or vendor gold is the same whether it comes from something nobody needs or something nobody can use.

If PL actually gave people who need it (ie me) more loot, id be right there with you asking for it back. But if you understand the system, it’s pretty easy to see that’s not the case, and PL absolutely doesn’t prevent geared players from getting more drops. You’d be better off asking for blizz or a addon dev to make something that just hides all the rolls.

7 Likes

You are never guaranteed anything no matter what type of loot rules are happening. Personal loot was just group loot with a hidden roll instead of you pressing a button.

4 Likes

That player can just hit pass now though? GL with no trade restrictions is easier for a lot of teams because you can give away (or pass) a 4 ilevel higher item to a teammate that it’s 40 ilevels higher than what they have.

why are you inspecting people in LFR? that’s really weird

7 Likes

This system is so bad I roll need everything just so I can win it and trade it to the dude with the less ilvl instead of people rolling need just because they can

1 Like

Group loot actually lets people pass on gear that they don’t need. I know that’s uncommon in LFR, but personal loot is not necessarily better.

RNG is RNG though, and you aren’t guaranteed to get anything with personal loot. And even if you do, it could be an item that you don’t want. So congrats on winning a completely useless thing that someone else might actually use. And also, people would complain about never getting items they actually need.

At least with group loot, there’s a chance for people to pass. With personal loot, it functionally means everyone is rolling need on items, even ones you wouldn’t actually roll on otherwise.

4 Likes

the difference being,

a person didnt get 2+ items off a boss

it distributed gear to unique player in the raid

so no person could get more than 1 item. it was way better system.

And PL was basically everyone rolling need, so with GL restrictions, at least the number of people competing goes down as more people win items through the season. Something that PL doesn’t do. I could win the same BIS trinket every week in PL, but only once with GL.

Feels pretty darn good that once in a blue moon when I win more than one though.

2 Likes

and makes u feel like sh if u dont

That’s actually True about the duplicates. Interesting position

Not at all. Congrats to that person for getting lucky with some pixels. I’m not anywhere near a small enough person to get mad or in my feelings about that.

8 Likes