Ground-targeted AOE question

Hey guys, I changed a setting somewhere and I’m not sure what.

Sometimes my ground-target AoEs are going off just with the button press, and sometimes I actually have to click the ground. I’m a little confused what’s caused this change in behavior, and not sure why it’s sometimes one and sometimes the other.

Any advice?

Are you using @cursor macros?

No, I’ve not macro’d those spells.

Then the ones that are firing automatically must be on a keybind that matches your self cast key (alt by default).

Hmm. I have Auto Self Cast on with no self cast key. But these aren’t friendly spells as specified by Auto Self Cast. And it’s been hard to tell with the unpredictable action, but it often seems to be casting wherever my mouse is (I have Mouseover Cast unchecked).

But it’s not a matter of some spells auto-casting and some not. It’s the same spell unpredictably doing both. Most recently, it was Bilescourge Bombers on my demo warlock. Sometimes they were just going to waste because it didn’t let me target them before just shooting them out.

They changed things in 9.2.5 to make the self cast key also affect reticle spells (regardless of friendly or not) it messed up a bunch of things for macros.

I’ll see if I can duplicate the Bilescourge behavior on my lock when I get time.

Have you figured out what is causing this issue, I am having the same problem.

i think i found the problem, it seems to be the new “press to keep casting” option they added

3 Likes

I was wondering if that might be it, but trying to use it that way out of combat did nothing. I just kept getting the placement graphic.

I’ve turned that option off anyway (since starting this thread) because I wasn’t using it much as intended, and it totally messes with non-GCD spells like Shimmer.

I turned on “hold to keep casting” on my warlock yesterday and then swapped to my warrior and my Heroic Leap was suddenly instantly going off in one press, so that definitely is the issue. When I turned off the function it worked fine again.

1 Like

Good catch. Thanks!

Omg thank you so much. I was going crazy with my warlock, trying to understand how to stop this from happening with guillotine lol

Thank you! I had a similar issue and turning off Options > Game > Gameplay > Combat > Press and Hold Casting did the trick.

Previously, my ground targeted spells like Ring of Peace or Bonedust Brew would go off instantly under my cursor under various circumstasnces:

1. If have right mouse button held (to rotate camera), there is a random chance this might happen.

2. If I chain two ground targeted spells back to back, the first one will go off instantly as I cast the second one.

You are my savior. After turning off that option, the Heroic Leap worked just fine!! THANK YOY SO MUCH!