Graphic Card Question

So I had a NVIDIA GTX 1080 and upgraded to a NVIDIA RTX 3070, still says the recommended setting is on a 7? These are the newer graphics cards and I can run raytracing on high but i’m just confused about how this all works. thought i’d be able to shred.

There’s more to it than just the GPU, and I wouldn’t worry so much about what the game tells you to play it on, but what your results are when playing on the settings you want to play on.

At this time, Ray Tracing isn’t worth the performance hit on any of he new RTX cards in this game.

1 Like

What is your CPU? If you don’t have at least a 8700k, 9900K or any of the 3000 series AMD CPUs then you are bottlenecking that GPU. 16GB RAM is also a sweet spot.

Give us your computer specs and we can try to narrow it down.

Ehhhhh this is subjective. I love the eye candy and am willing to drop 10 fps for it. The 30 series cards don’t have a big performance hit like the 20 series did with RTX enabled. The 3080 handles it like a champ and does really well with RTX on. 3070 is no slouch either and performs better than a 2080ti in a lot of titles for a lot less money.

intel core i7 7700k
nvidia geforce rtx 3070
motherboard is a ASUS maximus IX apex
ram is 32gs

Of course it’s subjective regarding the quality/performance tradeoff - here’s one person’s account

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/52ghz-10900k-3090-raytracing-4k-5k-series-ryzen/713983

They claim an overclocked 10900k with an RTX 3090 and get between 30-40fps at 4k with a 40% performance cost for RTX.

Up to you if that’s worth the trade off. It’s not 10fps, by the way.

The 7700k does not cut it anymore when it comes to high end gaming. You really want to look into upgrading if you wanna play at maxed settings. You can get good FPS in games but that CPU is limiting your GPU right now.

which one should I be looking at?

Ah ok. I was speaking towards gaming altogether and not hyper focusing just on wow. Wow on the other hand is still built on an old engine so it’s not going to be optimal.

1 Like

I think the 7700k, especially with an overclock, is a fine chip for WoW. I wouldn’t spend $700 on a GPU to pair it with first, but I don’t think it’s going to be a large detriment in a game that is largely still single-thread bound.

WoW does gain from more cores, but it is not night and day at the level of a 7700k.

In other games yeah, having a wider chip will make a pretty significant difference.

1 Like

That’s why I worded my statement carefully. “At high end gaming” meaning maxing out your FPS while still on ultra settings. The 7700k will bottlekneck the 3070 in that regard.

1 Like

guys its okay! im asking what kind of whatever it is you guys are talking about should I be looking at and ill start saving my money up for one, lol… /chipthingy?

1 Like

I would say a CPU upgrade would still help, given what’s been shown here:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/amd-has-finally-surpassed-intel-in-wow-rip/718852

The new AMD chips should yield some good gains over the 7700k.

Also what display are you using? Depending on this answer, it may be the thing you should upgrade first.

Also, have you overclocked? That’s free performance, and if you can get your frequency to around 4.7-4.8ghz, you will notice gains.

Although, none of this really matters yet.

You’ve talked about what WoW says you should be running on, but you haven’t indicated what your actual performance is and if you’re satisfied with it or not.

If it’s running as well as you want it to, it’s fine. If not, we can revisit it.

Unfortunately upgrading an Intel CPU isn’t that easy. Going from a 7th gen to 10th gen cpu requires a new motherboard and probably new ram. Depending on your power supply, you might need a new one as well.

7700k = 7th generation
10990k = 10th generation

Both have different chipsets, cpu sockets and motherboard types.

ahhhh okay, well my brother helped me set up the original setup of this computer. so i’ll just have to ask him because computers to me are literally so confusing. it’s like another language. I’ll let him now i got another gpu

Set it to max and see if it runs okay. If it does, then you’re good!

Here’s a breakdown on some of the settings (they may be a little outdated, but you can guess the new settings names)

https://www.logicalincrements.com/games/wow

Some are more CPU taxing and some are GPU taxing. Max out the GPU ones and lower the CPU ones.

Computers are another language indeed. It takes time and a desire to learn them but there are a lot of interesting things to learn.

Checkout Linus Tech Tips, Jayztwocents, gamers nexus for decent youtube channels to learn stuff. Jayztwocents is my favorite. Jay is always doing something stupid and makes it light hearted.

2 Likes

Cursedhuevos, I just started watching some of Jayztwocents videos on YouTube. Mostly because I’m thinking about upgrading a couple things. His tutorials and suggestion videos have helped me narrow down on where to look.

When I do upgrade, or want to take a physical look, going to take the advice of checking out Micro Center (there’s one 90 minutes away from me).

why not just OC your 7700k (as Sal stated)? You would approach…“high end” gaming with a good OC.

Gonna have to agree with Sal and Lily here. Can you afford to OC your 7700k until Intel drops Rocket Lake in 2021?
That should give you the time to buy a new mobo, CPU and high speed RAM.