Grand Magister Rommath Vs Jaina Proudmoore

These two are the strongest mages for each faction, we all know Blizzard has written Jaina as the immortal god queen of magic with reality-bending levels human potential that is why in this 1v1 I will be giving Felo’melorn to Rommath because we all know elves aren’t a magically gifted race like humans. I really hope Felo’melorn evens out the fight a bit.

2 Likes

The victor will be whomever the plot demands it be. Death Battles with Warcraft characters is largely a fruitless endeavor, because the power levels of Warcraft characters don’t stay consistent.

26 Likes

Jaina already made Thalyssra, who is significantly older and more experienced than Rommath, run away in terror just from the mere sight of her magic.

I don’t see how Rommath has a chance here. Has he ever even cast a spell in-game before?

10 Likes

I don’t see how a no name elf mage can stack up towards Jaina. When it comes to discussions like these feats win arguments. Rommath has done nothing.

7 Likes

Take away plot armor and Rommath should win. The Grand Magister of Quel’Thalas>Antonidas’s teachers pet. Rommath has been an archmage of the kirin tor AND Grand Magister of Quel’Thalas. He has two different takes on magic, or “degrees on magic” compared to Jaina solely knowing the Kirin Tor version.

Add to this that a high ranking Mage of Silvermoon should have access to the Sunwells power, to even things out on raw power scales. So Rommath should have equivalent power to jaina, but more training and experience.

11 Likes

Thalyssra isnt a combat oriented mage. Rommath is, at least according to in the shadow of the sun.

6 Likes

Well, like in all things, circumstance is important. No-one can consistently be the best when so much of our world isn’t static.

You can be the finest duelist in the entire realm, but it will mean absolutely nothing if there are more aggressors attacking you at once than you have limbs to protect yourself, or you’re attacked while you’re unprepared. You can also be the finest tactician, but if your army is starving or ill-equipped, or the odds in which you have to fight are lackluster, your decisions will only carry you so far.

I would say, it’d be best to weigh the advantages of each character.

To Rommath’s credit;

1: Rommath has been in the study of arcane magic longer than Jaina’s recent ancestors have even existed. While I would not say age is not as much of a boon in the martial arts, where the body has its limits and cannot be exceeded, magic is a study and that can be retained better than something that depends on the limits of the body.

2: Rommath’s means of education are great. The Blood Elves (then High Elves, as the majority during that period.) are the cradle of magic. All techniques learned, all powers mastered, it was mastered first by them. Humanity only learned such powers by coming in contact with them. They had the ability to transmute an entire region to be Spring forever, as a start. Whatever they could call upon in dire straits is an impressive thought indeed. Surely, even the Kirin Tor might lag behind in what some powers the Blood Elves could call upon.

3: He has a power source to tap into; the Sunwell. Should he go on the hunt, or defend precious territory, he can certainly come packed.

To Jaina’s credit:

1: She has a natural knack for magic. This is something that can just happen. A lot of people can just have an aptitude for something and grow even better in practice.

2: She has something that can amplify her powers and form as a foci: Antonidas’ staff, empowered by the remnants of Lei Shen, the Thunder King.

All in all, I think it slightly weighs more in Rommath’s favor, but nothing is certain, in our reality, or in the Warcraft setting.

9 Likes

only kaelthas would be equal to jaina.

Rommath never has show anything and has done nothing in his entire wow life time, at least when we are talking about magic feats.

i don’t believe for a second that rommath is capable of be equal to jaina right now because if he was, he would probably show up more often in the narrative.
mainly because she did had power ups due to her main role status, Rommath did not.
but this is wow so it will win who the plot demands.

and i think that thalyssra is the strongest mage in the horde, the only difference is that she isn’t specializated in attack.

3 Likes

Titles are meaningless. Rommath shares the title of Archmage with Aethas and I distinctly remember him becoming the butt of mage jokes in Legion. :hamster::hamster:

Unless Rommath has shown feats like Jaina’s ghostship then any speculation Rommath fans have is pure fanfiction. :frowning:

8 Likes

Here’s a feat, he has access to the Sunwells power. Which is greater than anything any human can hope to have. Not to mention its a combination of Arcane and Light. The ancient elves used its power to shape the land and turn Quel’Thalas into eternal spring time. I’m certain blasting Jaina into the shadowlands is well, well within its power.

And of course as Grand Magister, Rommath is going to have full access to the Sunwells power, which can be used at any distance, from any dimension, so range is not a problem.

2 Likes

That isn’t a feat. That is a theoretical statement at best. A feat is an actual action he has performed.

Also the blood elves have never used the Sunwell’s power in the way you’re describing. At least not since joining the Horde. I don’t really know why that is but controlling the second most powerful font of power in the world never seems to come up in the story.

11 Likes

Ultimately, there is no solid measure of Rommath’s ability, because they never do anything with him. He and Thalyssra are the solid answer to the power creep of Alliance characters that wield insane magic power, because their backgrounds permit them excuses to wield similarly insane magic power. They just, again, never use him and the one time Thalyssra’s on the field with the capability to do anything impressive, she’s in the heart of Stormwind, so she would have to fight both Jaina and the forces of Stormwind at the same time, prompting her to retreat.

They never used Occuleth either, save for one bit in Nazjatar. I mean, not even a cliff note about him. He’s an expert in his field, just using him could have answered the Vindicaar question in one foul swoop.

“Where’s the Vindicaar? Why isn’t it helping us in the War against the Horde?”

“Occuleth and a cabal of magi under his command are constantly teleporting it into random pockets of space, to keep it from ever entering orbit.”

24 Likes

Lets all be honest about Rommath, he is a nobody. The most significant thing a Blood Elf caster does is remind us that we didn’t get to have Kael’thas.

3 Likes

I like how everyone is assuming Jaina wins just because the writers like her more.

I’m not saying it isn’t true, but it’s not exactly Rommath’s fault his geeky overlords are more interested in writing about a busty blond than a scrawny elf.

9 Likes

“I developed a cure for cancer.”
“Oh yeah? Well I have a 30 foot swimming pool!”

7 Likes

Point of clarification here: They are not different. The Kirin Tor learned their magic for the High Elves. And the groups have been very connected for a LONG time. Their magical systems are really the same.

Not everyone can handle the same amount of magic, even if they have access to the source of magic. So, there is no reason to believe he can channel and use as much as she can.

This is a common, but wrong, assumption when dealing with Warcraft. In many fantasy settings you get better and stronger with magic as you age. And many assume that rule follows in Warcraft. But it doesn’t. In the Warcraft universe the power level of a person is the same when they are 30 or 300. You don’t get stronger with age. You need some ritual/artifact/event/etc to make you stronger.

Most, if not all of that was shared with the Kirin Tor. The groups were hugely connected for generations. They were not competing powers. Many of the Elf teachers and masters were part of the Kirin Tor. So, you can’t really say Rommath had better education available.

This is kind of a maybe. As we don’t see any evidence of the Blood Elves being able to tap significant power from the Sunwell at a distance. So, this might be an advantage if he was fighting one the Isle of Qual’danas. But, outside of that it becomes questionable how much of a boost he could get.

I do agree nothing is certain. However, based on what we have seen. In most situations, she would win. Not to say he is not going to make a showing. I just don’t think he could pull it off.

Plural. This is not an indicator of Rommath’s power in any way.

My guess is range. I would say there is likely a reason Kael’thas had to actually go to the well and could not simply channel its power from anywhere in the world to summon the Legion. The evidence seems to be that you cannot access a significant portion of its power from very far away.

I don’t think it is that at all. Blizzard has a history of being more excited about the break the mold stories. That is why they spend some much time on the Horde, as they have the ‘good monster’ races in the game. Look how much time they put into the Zombies and Orcs. Both races are typically generic villains in other media. Blizzard likes to flip the scripts, like making the Dark Elves into nature lovers. And for Blood Elves the idea of elves being the massive magic users is kind of the generic expectation. And, I kind of think that is why Blizzard has not spent a ton of time having them to all the magic feats. It just doesn’t excite them as it is kind of the standard mold in other fantasy.

4 Likes

I was mostly joking. Either way, Blizzard is clearly more interested in Jaina than Rommath, so basing their relative power levels on in game feats is a fools errand. The more popular/important character will always appear to be the superior even if it’s not really the case.

3 Likes

i believe that is a case of “show, don’t tell”
Some elfs players tell me that rommath is equal or better, alright, now show me evidence that is nowhere near at that level. jaina did have the writters favor because she is a main character not only from wow but also wc3.

This isn’t a comparassion like jaina vs azshara when we are show that if azshara wanted she would one shot her.

meanwhile rommath is kinda… just there.

if kaelthas was still alive, i would say the he would be equal or even better, sadly some prick writter decided to randomly kill him in BC.

2 Likes

Current feats say Jaina. Heck even back in the Battle for Undercity she froze BOTH armies the Alliance and Horde effortlessly and teleported the first without even breaking a sweat.

That was before she transformed the Staff of Antonidas into the Storm-Stave of Antonidas with the power of Lei Shen.

We’ve never really known if she actually uses that power though. As for more feats in regards of Battle for Azeroth we have:

Her raid-boss feats:

• A gigantic Freezing Blast akin to a Kamehameha
  • Constant Avalanche against her enemies
  • Expanding Ring of Frost capable of freezing enemies in place
  • Time Warp
  • Casting a powerful ice-storm that restricts vision
  • Ice tornadoes
  • Ice shockwaves capable of freezing people in the spot
  • Arcane artillery
  • Flash Freeze, an advancing frozen-terrain attack
  • Summoning Tide Elementals
  • Froze a good chunk of the ocean, making an island where she fought an army.

As for outside the raid:

• Freezing all the army attacking Anglepoint Wharf, including flying Zeppeling in place and bringing them to the ground.
  • She also has proven to be extremely resourceful, using beacons to teleport Azerite explosives to Horde ships, destroying all of them.
  • Being able to create cannons of pure Arcane that can destroy a wall that even an invading army with Siege Engines and Towers couldn’t bring down. Oh and she has a flying battleship.

Rommath has no feats whatsoever, sure he HAS to be strong because he attained the rank of Archmage back in Dalaran, but nothing points towards him being stronger than Jaina. And Felo’melorn is not exactly the best artifact either, both KT and Dath’remar did damage/annoy Arthas (Death Knight) but they didn’t exactly won, the latter died and the first one retreated.

A better match-up would be Dadgar vs Jaina, since Khadgar has had some good feats in WoD/Legion.

1 Like

I wish Rommath would get more screentime and feats so he could be a better story counter to Jaina.

Blood elves need a new fire mage to replace Kael’thas. And Rommath has the snark their faction needs. I mean, he’s gotta be able to -really- burn his enemies.

Just think of all the great special effects he could have with a fire vs. ice fight with Jaina? And all the snappy one-liners?

6 Likes