GPU question

In thinking of upgrading my GPU. I’m kinda uncertain what it could handle. Here are my specs

Case: Cooler master Pro 5

Mobo: Asus Z170A

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 Skylake Quad-Core 3.3 GHz

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4

PSU: [EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 watt platinum rated

Current GPU: Nividia GTX 980

HDD : WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive

I’m thinking of getting a GTX 1660 Ti or a RTX 2060. Are there any tech savy peeps who can shed some light if my system could handle any one of these GPU’s. Thx in advance.

I have a similar system (Gigabyte Z170 – 6700k – EVGA G2 650W) and recently went from a 980 Ti to a 5700 XT (roughly equiv to a 2070 Super) and for my needs (60hz 2560x1440) it works very well. There aren’t many circumstances where the CPU is bottlenecking things badly.

There is a 700Mhz difference in clockspeeds between our CPUs, so yours is a bit easier to bottleneck than mine. Your PSU is massive overkill and can easily handle cards far more powerful than the 1660 Ti or 2060, so the decision is going to come down to three questions:

• What monitor are you using? It’s much easier for your CPU to bottleneck your GPU with a 144hz, 4K, or ultrawide display than it is with a bog standard 60hz 1440p or 1080p display.
  • Do you plan to upgrade your monitor soon?
  • Do you plan to upgrade the other parts of your system soon? If you’re going to do a full upgrade in the next year or two it might make sense to save up for something more powerful to help ensure that your newly bought GPU isn’t the weakest link in the system.

The monitor i’m using is a Acer Predator XB1 XB241H. I really dont plan on upgrading my monitor.I just dont see the reason to move into the 4k area. As far as other upgrades,thats still up in the air.I haven’t really decided yet my rig does perform nicely,just my vid card ATM is showing its age TBH

Upgrading your GPU won’t hurt but if you’re not looking to game at 4K why bother?

If your GPU is running fine then there is no reason to upgrade. IMO if you upgrade you’ll have to get a new CPU and a new mobo with it.

Like i said.my current GPU is showing its age. Im even starting to see some slight artifacting going on. My initial thought was going for the GTX 1660 Ti. Still, there are some options left on the table ATM.

the 1660Ti isnt even much of an upgrade from your 980.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

You’d need to head to 2060 SUPER or 5700XT territory to make it worthwhile.

If you’re getting artifacts it could be a heat or driver related issue trying cleaning your heat dink and make sure your drivers are up to date.

Everything is up to date and cleaned out. Belive me the card is old.

Pull the cooler off and re-paste.

Ill try that. OK. Back to my question at hand. With the info and specs I’ve given,can my system run an RTX 2060? A simple yes,or no is all I need

Yes you can.

Doesn’t matter how good your GPU is that CPU is going to limit your settings in WoW.

You have a 4 core CPU with 3.3 gHz, but the game needs to do 80-100% of the workload running the game on only one of those cores.

So yes you will get better graphics with a high end GPU, if you want to run the game on ultra settings, you will need to look into how best to optimize a game like WoW which does not have fully integrated multi-thread support with an optimal multi-core workload.

I would highly consider looking into your CPU first if WoW if your primary game you enjoy playing and want to see good graphics on. Also your monitor size greatly increases the workload to run a game. 1080 is standard, WQHD monitor is wider and bigger workload, ultrawide monitors are the widest and the biggest workload to play games on requiring very high end gaming rigs.