Got Any New Player Tips?

Howdy,

I just started playing WoW (age 25) a couple of days ago and I am really liking it a lot more than I thought I would. I played Flyff (a pretty objectively bad MMO from years ago) for a few years in middle-school but other than that experience I have never played an MMO before, I come from the Diablo franchise and League of Legends (if you want to count those as MMOs?). As I have been playing this week I realized just how different MMO’s are and how little I actually seem to know on how to play them, haha, so I was hoping you guys could help me get a bearing on the do’s and don’ts.

I am wondering what the best settings are to play with, and what kind of key bindings are optimal (already got corrected on turning my character with “A” and “D” or keyboard turning as it was called I think, haha), what sort of content to go for/avoid as a new-to-MMO player, what sort of content would be similar (if any) to games I have played before like Diablo or League? I also would like to know what sort of words and terms I should know that maybe wouldn’t be used in other games (like prot warrior meaning protection warrior o.o)

I am not too concerned with the leveling process itself as the quests seem to be leading into one another, which I really appreciate. However, as I level should I be concerning myself with professions or trying to make gold outside of just selling my loot?

I heard there are RP servers, that sounds super fun to me as I am a huge fan of DnD, are these servers new player friendly or should I wait until later to play on those servers?

Should I even bother with PvP or should I wait until endgame for that?

I picked the Paladin class as I am a huge fan of knights and medieval fantasy but is there a particular class that shines above the rest for new players?

Thanks for any tips you might have :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to WoW! It’s a big game, so first of all, just be sure you’re having fun.

• You don’t need to concern yourself with professions too much while leveling. I would recommend picking up gathering professions (mining/herbing) so you can pick up materials and sell them on the auction house (AH).

• RP servers have varying degrees of immersion, depending on the faction and server. A lot of RP happens in guilds, so finding a good one that fits is important. You can focus on this later, but if it’s something you’re interested in, you should level on an RP server. You are on the biggest Alliance heavy normal server right now, so if your end goal is to raid or do larger group content, that’s a good choice too.

• PvP can be a lot of fun. You’ll die a lot, that’s just kind of it’s nature. You can enter battlegrounds at level 10, but the brackets are 10 levels, so you’ll be outpowered until you’re at the top of the bracket. It’s not mandatory, but it something different to try.

• Paladin is a good class for new players. Most classes are pretty easy to learn, it’s a matter of finding what you enjoy playing. Try a bunch of classes and see what sticks. Nothing says you have to stick to just one! You can if you want to though. I know people who have one of each class, or sometimes two of certain classes, each class/each faction, and lots of the same class but in all the different races.

Continue asking questions. Either here or in the newcomer channel in game. You’ll generally get pretty quick responses there, depending on the time of day.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to break that down :slight_smile:

Hunters are great to level up quickly, A great class is the mage
They do the most damage I have a few mages Have you tried a demon hunter ? You maybe a newbie but with the new expansion I am
Totally confused about it even though I have been playing WoW since it first started.

1 Like