Goodbye, Cruel World... of Warcraft... Cataclysm: Classic

Aye, after 18+ years, I think it’s time to call it. I’m not sure what’s different, or why it’s almost physically painful to play the game these days, but I kept thinking “if I can just get through the Spine of Deathwing fight, then I can quit happy!”

Well, I won’t make it, unfortunately. I just can’t keep giving my money to a company like Bli… err, whatever this amalgamation of atrocities has become.

And yeah, yeah. I’ve already heard “see ya in a week,” and I’ve been the guy to say it to people recently. Except, they haven’t been back in a week. I know I could un-disenchant my gear that I dealt with today, but I highly doubt I could talk the people who ended up with my gold and all the shards and whatnot from giving all of that back.

I turned off the autopayments and removed the credit cards from my multiple accounts (I’m too embarrassed to say how many). I bought a few games on PS5 and Steam. I’m disabled, so getting on WoW has been my way of being sociable and feeling like I was decent at something… but this time, I really have to try to discontinue my use of WoW.

I’d love to say the players aren’t the reason but, god damn, y’all don’t make it any more enjoyable lately. Blizzard is barely paying attention to this version or the people playing it, and some of y’all are taking heavy advantage of that. It’s worse than I remember it being, but maybe I’m looking through glasses made only of roses; thorns intact.

Good luck to everyone, and I hope you’re getting your money’s worth out of any and all blizzard games you still play,

Me.

3 Likes

What server are you on? I’ll create a level 1 there and you and give me all your gold and stuff.

1 Like

Cata does suck. I’m only playing it because I’m playing with people I’ve played with since 2004/5

1 Like

There are two games I recommend.

On the RPG side, you can never go wrong with Baldurs Gate 3. Larian devs just finished up patch 7, and I do believe the game is finally complete in full (bug fixes, balances, animation updates, ending epilogues, qol features, and more). It’s a game you can very much get lost in, massive replay value out of the class/party composition, companion attitudes towards your very consequential actions, as well as an extra starting origin that shifts the main story around and refocuses and recontextualizes the plot. There is multiplayer but it is not a social game per se.

The second game is Deep Rock Galactic. It’s a multiplayer focused FPS with an emphasis and design around teamwork. The DRG community, mostly via the Discord, do a lot together. The game has a dedicated salute keybind. If you don’t rock and stone, you ain’t comin’ home. I’m suggesting this one because you mentioned being social. The community is very welcoming to green beards.

If you don’t choose either, that’s fine, I just wish you the best in your journey. Never feel bad about stopping your tenure with a video game. It’s just a game made by a company that exclusively wants to take money out of your pocket. It’s purely transactional. They’re no longer offering a product you want to pay for, it is what it is. Greener pastures anyways. Best of luck friend.

1 Like

:woman_shrugging:

First of all, THANK YOU for being kind enough to suggest games for me to play. That’s so not what I was expecting to see when I checked this post!

Couldn’t agree more! What a fantastic game… I have only gotten a few hours into it and I’m just mystified that it’s that expansive and immersive. Great suggestion!

Wait… have you seen my Steam library or somethin’? :rofl: I am not quite as into this game as I wish I was, but maybe that’s because I tried it … man, I don’t even remember how long ago… But a game I LOVE is Deep Rock Galactic Survivor. Also, Vampire Survivors. For as basic as these games are… wow! and Vampire Survivors is only $5.00 on PlayStation (I think I recall DRGS being $20 or $30, but very worth whichever the cost was).

I really do appreciate the response, and the game suggestions! I’m gonna work on Subnautica for a bit and see if I can stop absolutely shi**ing myself every time the game makes a noise… oh, brother :roll_eyes:

Ciao!