Good Troll RP Guild

Do they really? Thats pretty uh…unique.

Sadly they were the only ones that came to mind I’m afraid.

Good luck on your hunt though

Yup! Last time I joined them, they asked me to wipe out all the ic Witch-doctor training I had rp’ed out over the years and act as if I was a baby witch-doctor so they could train me again. I Nope’d out of there real quick.

2 Likes

There used to be several other tribes but they fizzled out over the years. I’ll definitely keep an eye out and make a post if I remember any. Have you looked at the directory?

Edit: there’s a Troll community Discord as well if you’re interested!

2 Likes

Hi! Officer in the aforementioned guild. We do ask some characters to adjust a portion of their backstory, but to say we ask people to “wipe all past character experience” is a gross misrepresentation.

Among the other roleplay opportunities present in our guild, the Shadowtusk Clan has a strong tradition of offering its members multi-month (usually a minimum of 4, sometimes a maximum of 6) training in some of the culturally iconic Troll classes. This ties into our roll combat system, and several of those classes (ex. Shadow Hunter, Witch Doctor, Dinomancer, Primal) come with their own rich history and can have a minor effect on a character’s social status.

In order to not devalue the training we ask our members to go through in order to earn these additional combat options and status, people approaching us with a pre-existing background in that particular class are often asked if they:

A) Wouldn’t mind adjusting that portion of their background.
or
B) Would be considerate of trainees by not flaunting that portion of their background until they’ve also gone through training with us, with this option meaning several of our trainers will consider giving you priority to get on their lists.

I hope this clarifies that subject. We still love to have people approach us! And if you’re not happy with this particular restriction on members, that’s reasonable as well-- Maybe we can just hang out sometime, without you joining! Cheers.

6 Likes

There was no need for you to explain. I have been to your guild before. Twice actually. Each time I was ask to wipe out the witch-doctor training that I have ROLEPLAYED over the course of years to adjust the guild’s agenda. And don’t tell me this is a gross misinterpretation when this is what happened to me both times. It’s a fact. And what you just described is literally what I just said. Truly that is why I don’t wish to join your guild. I did not wish to drag your name in the mud, nor is it what I did. Also, the kind of rp you guys do simply isn’t my cup of tea. Most people do one liners which is totally not my thing. And that does not come from a place of Arrogance, only I stray from telling people how to rp and the way I do that is that I avoid rping with those people, plain and simple.

I have rp’ed Shae’ti since BC, a lot of things have happened to her and I refuse to change her background considering everything I did has always been lore friendly.

On top of that, you guys have had some drama a couple years back regarding a p.dophile which has totally turned me off your guild. (And I am not afraid to say it out loud, you guys allowed a guy to rp s.xual stuff with a minor character which honestly disgusts me. Big no-no on my end.)

I hope you have a good day.

12 Likes

I know I’m getting to this thread late, but regarding Troll guilds on the server, there’s also Zuldazar Menagerie.

Don’t let the lack of an updated forum thread mislead you. I see Panjya and others around and they’ve participated with us in a couple events in the past months.

6 Likes

The wiping character backstory just kind of gave me flashbacks to sith guilds in swtor. Shudders

I think the bolded part is what Bazu considered a misrepresentation. From the sound of it you happened to have a character class that their guild policy restricts to members that have undergone some kind of experience.

This is similar to a tabletop roleplaying group getting together and all agreeing to start at level 1 for the experience of undergoing growth together.

If they then let a new player join with a character they had leveled up in other games then it would not be in the spirit of the kind of roleplay the group wants, right?

3 Likes

So you’re saying if you join their guild you start out as a level 1 drudge idiot who can’t have any backstory to their character in order to conform to the restrictions the guild has.

Doesn’t work in an MMO where the world is one large connected world, different tabletop groups can be different ‘worlds’ in a sense, but this is a connected world with evolving characters outside of one guild.

But I mean Stranglethorn Guild rp Trolls like humans anyway so who cares really.

1 Like

The minor issue with this quote is that ‘RP X like humans’ is usually used to take jabs at anyone who doesn’t RP their characters in a rigid, pointless archtype.

Trolls are still sentient beings on Azeroth. Individuals wont act the same no matter how you swing it. Given you also have a setting where troll ideas have mixed with numerous other races, that makes it more pronounced. Sure, one can keep some parts in mind to ensure authenticity, but very few people want to RP stagnation.

8 Likes

I mean while I think it’s ridiculous to have such stringent rules on how to join a guild or community, I also think you can just not RP with them. Like if you don’t like their rules don’t join them? Is that so hard?

1 Like

Well it was a jab, but mostly because I’ve been in their guild and they wanted my Troll to act to their standards, I couldn’t play the brute that I wanted because it wouldn’t conform to their ‘style’. They have this idea that Trolls really are just blue skinned humans and that the lore behind them is tangible enough to ignore.

Like the idea that a Drakkari and a Zandalari would get along just fine, they don’t want you rping that conflict out even if your character would’ve had a story behind it or something, you’re expected to not ‘interfere’ with others.

I joined, I interacted them, I hated it, now I need to let people know about exactly what they’re like so they don’t have the same experience.

1 Like

Anyway I derailed this, sorry.

Goodluck on the guild hunt.

That’s fair. I know a lot of people who’ve been in the guild that hate it. Those in like it. It’s just one of those things.

In most TTRPG games however, if you join a game in progress you will start at the same level as the rest of the party. If I sat down to join a group in progress who were all already level 10 and I was told to make a level 1 I’d just get up and leave since that just sucks.

To the Shadowtusk folks. I’d honestly consider approaching it differently. For example instead of saying “Hey, could you just retcon this please so you’re not like, skipping out on months of RP to the head of the pack?” instead say “Hey, so you might be a Witch Doctor according to your background but we don’t know your character IC, and as such until they pass our own trials they won’t be socially accepted as one, sound good?” Or even just having a seperate kind of trial rank for characters who are ICly already trained but as of yet unproven to the clan.

I can certainly understand why a guild would want to put restrictions on classes that are considered to be extremely rare, powerful and respected within their races lore although I too would be loathe to retcon out RP that I had actually already been through over the years.

5 Likes

I think I can see why that would be frustrating if you want to compete with other players, and don’t like being weaker than them.

Personally I think interesting roleplaying scenarios can happen when some players are inexperienced adventurers still learning and growing, and they have to rely on other players who are stronger to mentor them or protect them.

Of course OOC the players should be treated fairly and equally by the DM and other players cause its just a game, but IC playing characters of unequal power and experience can serve as setup for kinds RP that you simply don’t get if all the characters are always approximately equals.

Those kinds of RP might not be to your taste and thats valid, but I think this guild was set up with that kind of RP in mind as a goal.

2 Likes

And that is exactly why I said in my original post not to bring up this guild because I want nothing to do with it. But their guild leader felt the need to come over here and explain himself even though he basically repeated everything I said but twisted it to make it seem like that was not it. So yeah.-

That’s fine but I think this thread quickly took a turn from “looking for a guild” to “talk crap about a guild”. I mean that’s fine but also don’t pretend that it’s not kinda annoying

2 Likes

Each time I posted like this, it always turns this way. People feel they need to ‘‘defend’’ the guild. I simply stated why it was a big nope, cuz people always say their name first so I wanted to save people time. I don’t control these guys, especially not their officer who came over here feeling the need to explain himself.

2 Likes

I think you got kinda what you wanted. If you didn’t want it to turn out this way, especially with the experience of it always turns out this way, why not just not say anything about it and say “thanks, I kinda wanna keep looking” when they’re brought up.

You’re looking for the drama at this point. No shame in that, just don’t lie about it

4 Likes