Good to see arcane familiar is once again bugged

So yay for having to rebuff this EVERY time I go to a new zone. Thought we’d fixed this from BFA?

4 Likes

I think one could describe WoW bugs as being a bit like clothing fashion. Some bugs go out of fashion/get fixed, but they will come back around in the future. Then there are the classic looks/bugs that stick around.

Bad joke aside, I’ve seen so many bugs in Dragonflight that I have cut back on trying to report them in game. It just doesn’t feel worth the effort even if I can reproduce it.

So many bugs with this patch it’s unbelievable. Even mounting causes it to disappear. When they changed the spell ID to the raven it probably caused the game to treat it as a pet.

1 Like

Well, I’m already seriously considering retirement. I watched a video from one of the “pro” arcane mages and it seems like instead of making arcane easier, I now need a degree in nuclear fusion to understand the rotation. Maybe this will all change and I’ll give it until the sub runs out. While this familiar thing is minor in the greater scheme of things, it’s just one more reason why things should have been done piecemeal and not in one giant dump. They never seem to learn.

1 Like

They definitely made a mess of the spec tree and shuffled the throughput nodes around so much that Arcane Harmony is now practically mandatory because nothing else can compete and that alone needlessly complicates the rotation. The new Spark is also still just as clunky as the old one just in a different way.

2 Likes

Well I watched the video from I think his name is Preheat and at first I thought it was a joke. He’s like “ok we need to this, then this, but wait I have this proc so instead I’m going to do this, then hopefully the AM gives me charges so I don’t have to use orb but it didn’t so I’ll use orb then queue up this to go next but only if this happens…” I was checking my ears to make sure my brains didn’t ooze out of them. Like I thought I was going to need to make a flowchart for it and then have .3 seconds to consult it or screw up the rotation.

Oh yes and I HATE harmony but guess what? I have to use it anyway, joy.

1 Like

Lmaooo! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah he has that effect on people. He somehow even managed to make Devastation Evokers sound complicated at the outset of DF. The level of granular detail he goes into just to squeeze out another 2% DPS is mental. I can’t play like that. And btw neither can he or anyone else. He uses a custom made UI with a full suite of addons that take ages to setup and even longer to learn how to use efficiently but then they do most of the heavy lifting for you. You should see him and other similar content creators try to play the game without any of that third party software. It was hilarious to see them struggle with the base game UI back during the Alpha.

1 Like

Well, in that case maybe it won’t be so bad. I don’t know anything about him, just that the mental gymnastics my brain was going through just to keep up was exhausting. And I’m a relatively smart guy… :crazy_face:

1 Like

It’s that’s what is going on? I kept noticing it was just “gone” and so I hit AI like after every encounter. I figured it had some internal timer I was up against.

came here to see if it was just me being crazy or an actual bug!

took the portal from vald to org just to be sure and yep – lost the buff (kept ai, but lost my arcane familiar buff). Guess we have to do it after every new zone…time to make a weak aura i guess…Blizz isn’t known to fix “minor” issues quickly. >.<

1 Like

Arcane Familiar has been a major disappointment ever since it was first revealed as a talent and continues to miss the mark in spite of the minor effort to fix it for TWW. I think I am just gonna spec out of it for now and drop the two points somewhere else. Whatever else I put them in will be a DPS loss but it should be minor enough to not make too much of a difference.

Even if it wasn’t bugged and disappearing every time you sneeze, it’s still using an old model for the raven and the original Arcane Barrage animation from 2008 for its attack. I just can’t justify taking it given all of that. Especially when Balance Druids have a similar talent that summons Faerie Dragons with updated models and an arcane themed attack animation that looks better than anything Arcane Mages have in their entire toolkit. It’s just fundamentally unfair and adds insult to injury.

If they fix the bugs and update the visuals, or better yet, let us pick what our familiars look like via a system similar to the Nightfae Soulshapes, I might reconsider.

And whose idea was it to turn it into a stupid bird?

Khadgar’s probably.

1 Like

I like the raven. They are creatures of intellect and resourcefulness. It is a shame that ours, however, is not.

1 Like

This is the pre patch guide

Might not be the most optimal rotation but it does fine. Been following it and seem to be ok

Just logged into my arcane mage for the first time in a few months, and I can confirm that this is still a bug… I tried resetting my talents and it still isn’t working. The familiar isn’t even in my spell book even though I have it on my action bar and in my talent tree. Gotta love WoW bugs :confused:

The familiar won’t appear in your spellbook or action bar. Since the pre-patch it is now combined with Arcane Intellect.

The bug is you have to recast Arcane Intellect every time you go to a new zone to resummon the familiar.

It’s really hilarious to see all the mages running around, and they’re really easy to spot now because of the Spellfire Orbs, with the cookie cutter Sunfury build off of Wowhead but without the familiar because they haven’t caught on that it’s bugged yet. Very clearly an influx of new mage players who have never touched Arcane before but rolled one now because Sunfury is strong. Hence why we’re seeing a dime a dozen posts on the mage forums on brand new mage characters complaining about the same things. I never understood the meta mentality and why so many players choose to chain themselves to it, just play what you like and not the fotm spec, especially if you don’t like it or understand how it works.

1 Like

That’s an understatement. I’ve been having more fun as arcane than I have in years. People in dungeons are commenting on boss dps and I simply tell them “Arcane is only good every 5 expansions or so.” We’re finally at the single target dps we SHOULD be, so once Blizz detects this, incoming nerfbat.

Hush! I initially wrote “****powered” but then changed it. :shushing_face::laughing:

1 Like