Gold mailed to me from stranger - what would you do?

Hey everyone.

Someone, who I don’t know, mailed my bank alt 1,000 gold and 2 silver, along with a low level profession pattern. No message in the mail. Subject line read: “ty”

I have not collected the bounty… yet. I am curious what the community would do in this situation.

1. Collect the loot and smile at your lucky fortune
  2. Return the mail and be rewarded with karma
  3. Try to contact the person in game (mail/message) and ask the person about it
  4. Contact Blizzard to see if it came from a gold seller (don’t want to get suspended)

As an FYI, I went with #4 and the Blizzard GM said:

I understand you are contacting us about getting gold from a random player who you don’t know. I do have some information for you on this.

I would suggest deleting or returning it personally. We can’t really provide information on another account or player, but generally, accepting large amounts of gold/items from a player you’ve never interacted with before can be a bad look.

If you would select option 4, and you got that response, what would you then do?

Have fun with this. I am actually undecided on this.

3 Likes

I’m a gambling man!!!

4 Likes

I’d keep it. Probably a bot GM that replied to you.

7 Likes

I would probably go with #3. There is some (probably very small) chance that you are in fact the intended recipient. Maybe you helped someone with something out in the world, and they’re insanely wealthy and decided to show their thanks in this way.

If you’re not the intended recipient, you can return it immediately, and no harm done.

10 Likes

i would also go with #3. best way is to ask the person themselves if you are able to instead of wondering forever.

1 Like

I agree with 3.

At least you CYA by asking a GM. Now take the gold and run. lol

3 Likes
  1. Try to contact the sender.

i would just delete it

Really? I’m the only one choosing 1? Are social acceptance points really worth more than gold?

9 Likes

why does it matter if people arent picking 1

yoink it ez

Because it’s funny to see people putting virtue signaling above their own interests

4 Likes

no one is virtue signaling in this thread lol. op asked people what they should do, people honestly answered. its just fictional currency in a video game dude.

3 Likes

And she’s not gonna see this bro

I would hit ‘Return,’ as I’ve done on other mis-delivered items.

You have to do you; but maybe, weigh the short-term and long-term, before you conclude any internal discussions.

2 Likes

The correct thing to do is return it, we all know this. We’ve all been taught that you turn in wallets if you find one, don’t steal, etc. So there’s really no debate on what you should do as far as if this person is a legit stranger who accidentally mailed you gold meant for his alt or a guildie. But if I felt like it was a failed gold seller transaction I’d take the gold and laugh it off.

However I can’t help but comment on this part:

If you believe the person who mailed this to you is a real player then this holds no weight other than if person put you on blast in server discord for not returning the gold/pattern as it would be a social consequence. Blizzard is hands off for something like this, they won’t action you for this so you theoretically have no obligation to return this or fear some sort of punishment if the player reports you.

That being said, and a side bar, IRL it IS illegal to try to keep money that you did not have a reasonable assumption to assume was yours. You can google a few examples such as a couple receiving 120k in their bank account and they just went and spent it when it was a bank mistake. They got in trouble.

Conversely Citibank accidentally wired over $900M earlier this year to people they legitimately owed money to, but the debt was not to be paid off any time soon. As it was the exact amount of money owed to them the people receiving the money legitimately believed it was their money that they were owed and a judge did not force them to return it (last I read).

1 Like

nice assumption. source?

I would leave it. If they accidentally sent it to you they can still recover it in game as long as you don’t take it. If after a week they have not taken it back? Loot away,

Also, imagine how sad your life must be if you think someone being a decent person is “virtue signaling”. Like your life is so bad that you have no decent people around you.

5 Likes

it’s especially confusing since all we did was pick one of OP’s choices and elaborated our reasons. calling it virute signaling just sounds like an attempt to troll.