Gold Income Too Low for Mounts/Riding with Increased Leveling

Hello,

I’ve been leveling between Dun Morough/Elwynn and Loch Modan/Westfall on my Hunter and just hit level 20. I only have about 2.9g to my name but training and mounts are about 5g. With the 20% reduced experience, it seems like we’re not getting quite enough gold to compensate.

I have been vendoring every item I can and picking quest items that vendor for the most, unless it is a direct upgrade. As well, I have only trained damage or movement skills, so I have about 4-5 skills untrained.

2 Likes

This is how it was in the old days, you were never supposed to have immediate access right off the bat, it’s not a hand-out per level cap like it is currently.

2 Likes

I’ve leveled 3 toons through lakeshire/redridge and each has had just enough gold to buy a mount and train at 20. I’ve avoided westfall completely.

2 Likes

I’m leveling a paladin so I got a “cheap” mount at 20 but I’ve had plenty of gold for all skills and had more than triple the cost of the 40 mount upgrade by 40… Completely ignoring the AH or professions that could further increase income.

Gold has been fine from what I’ve seen so far. Low level gold will be irrelevant on live servers anyway as people will have 80-85 characters inflating AH prices so you can sell low level items at a premium. The first thing most people do with alts is send gold and bags. This is a ‘fresh’ server issue and appears to only be a problem for the OP.

1 Like

I just hit Outland on my shaman yesterday and was able to buy all of my riding so far as soon as I hit the right level and still have over 200 gold to work with now, and all I’ve done is quest alone and vendor my entire inventory from level 1. I haven’t done a single dungeon, grouped up with anyone, or done anything on the auction house aside from buying some glyphs. You’re doing something especially wrong if you can’t afford your riding training

4 Likes

I don’t understand how you don’t have enough. I have leveled multiple characters so far in the beta, and every single one, has been able to easily afford every spell along the way, and every riding at level. Heck I even got dual spec on a couple of toons at level 30, and still had enough for fast ground mount when I hit forty.

2 Likes

Ive leveled through blood elf zone multiple times this expansion and usually have at least 5g by the time I’m 10 ish, just from killing more mobs during quests and vendoring everything. It’s definitely OP

Maybe Classic isn’t for you. Some of us don’t like uber nerfed content, we prefer to have our talent, skill and strategy carry us up than to get handouts.

Please don’t come on and ask for classic to be nerfed. Classic is the reason I came back after they nerfed retail all to hell.

Also, I don’t know how successful you will be at classic, if you couldn’t manage 5g in 20 levels… did you pick up a profession??? Did you use the AH? Did you purchase rare items from vendors and resell to others? I don’t know what to tell you here, each of my classic toons have hundreds of gold each before hitting level 20.

This has not been my experience at all.

At 20. I had enough gold with a little left over

At 40 I had enough with 12 gold left over.

I am now 54 and have 216 gold.

If you are starting fresh when Cata goes live, archaelogy is a decent gold maker.
But if you don’t buy anything extra you should have enough each riding skill level when available.

1 Like

Not discrediting you, but I’ve leveled 2 to 60 in the beta so far and have had the opposite experience. I feel like gold income is too high. I always have such an abundance at each level. And with nothing to spend it on on the AH, its extra apparent

1 Like

Better off to level a character and farm gold on wrath and have it ready for cata release. I have 5 80s, my main being full bis and over 200k gold.

another reminder that the economy is non-existent and cata is doomed for it