Go back to Sharding

You don’t know that, and the Devs have repeatedly said that it won’t.

Technically they could flip the switch to turn on Sharding anytime they want too, because the infrastructure is there, but if they turn off the “Can Layer” switch, it will never layer.

They said in the interviews, that once its gone, we’ll just have queues.

I believe Ion said “never to return”.

We do. It’ll be before phase 2. Phase 2 will likely be release within the first 2-3 months. Many people won’t even be 60 yet.

I’ve heard there’s a cooldown on layer switching to prevent such exploits. And even if there isn’t is layer switching even going to be faster than just running around and gathering resources as you normally would? I doubt layer switching would be good for anything except maybe checking black lotus spawn points.

No, not funny. What’s funny is how it’s mutated from Classic = vannila + modern infrastructure to “they are making changes”

Layering isn’t a change it’s infrastructure.

But, I guess you want to hold layering to all of its version and not the fixed version it launches with.

It is infrastructure that has an affect on the game. But yeah, you are not wrong.

1 Like

Guzu is saying hopping layers is really hard now.

Oh sorry he said, “none of that going forward”.

1 Like

Yeah, but it can still end up with that single world before phase 2. Phase 2 is just the cut off line.

It’s almost like nobody knew what the alternative was until we got it.

Hmmmmm

Nah. That couldn’t be it.

1 Like

It will probably only be a couple weeks

My water cooling has a huge impact on my FPS. Back in vanilla I was at 5-10 out of cities. Didn’t change the game. It does change how I interact with the game though.

Sure, but that’s like saying “The goal is to stop within 20 meters, but there’s a brick wall in the way… 5kms down the road.”

They need to tell us what the population caps will be for Realms after layering is over.

Asmongold’s Server will have like 10,000 players on it.

They don’t want to do that though specifically cause it could suggest a way for people to gauge subscriber count.

We didn’t think Blizzard would find a solution that is actually worst than the problem… they sure deliver when it’s time to f___ things up

1 Like

This is the problem with all these layering threads. Hundreds of thousands of game play hours are ignored and a handful of clips of people intentionally trying to abuse layering is all people care about. The STV chest is literally the only thing I have seen or experienced in all my beta time that is a legitimate issue.

Meanwhile, sharding would irritate you every single day. People fading in and out of your vision, walking up to a mining node only to see it vanish before your eyes and then reappear as you walk away… sharding is awful.

2 Likes

2.5k goal, with an elastic cap to 3000.

Agreed. If only blizzard could just… you know… do as it was in classic. No sharding no layering none of that bullcrap

1 Like

Oh I have no issues with any of the things blizzard has done, I lost all hope when I heard they weren’t making a progressive server.

The issue with layering that is built in and cannot be fixed is the fact that it creates multiple instances of the same server… you won’t see certain people… there are other “layers”. That is retail in a nutshell.

1 Like

Are you volunteering to wait 3 months after launch to play, so we can have the Classic launch have the same player profile as Vanilla?

I was one of the 350,000 last time, and I intend to be again, but so do millions of others.

I felt the same way about instancing in general, back when WoW was still on the drawing table.

Instancing removes the massive from MMO.

Layering is just another method of instancing. I can’t really complain about 1 form of it when it’s the core design.

CRZ and sharding take instancing and add even more issues but layering, with ICD and limited duration, is no where near as bad.

1 Like