GM Response to the AV Bans

If there are no people attacking the flag then all you can really do is stand there. Within a matter of 1 min you can go from standing on the flag doing nothing to 8 horde backcapping. Your presence there is contributing.

7 Likes

I get that… you’re attempting to make a point on the AFK spectrum

I’m arguing for the people who literally defend, and kill 15+ people coming in towers.

well in todays world its quite plausible unfortunately. Hell my boss lies to us all the time and its clear and we catch him left and right … could be the ole if you lie enough even you believe it scenario /shrug

I mean… they were stealing breast milk and lied about it, lol

My guess is they use the data per automation for control limits. Think of them as upper and lower limits on metrics that help identify non-player activity or lack of activity. The reason these limits didnt meet the new pre-patch setup could be for a variety of reasons. We are all doing very different dmg and healing, we have non-70s and crap geared people in bgs that werent otherwise there for the historical data.

Them calling it a system error just means that their process which can still include some type of human approval, wasnt gauging the metrics in a proper way because variables changed. It is their mistake for not adjusting for these variables and being prepared, but I also think that there was a large amount of people signing up and sitting afk/netflix/etc not really participating. Videos on reddit about this and could blatantly see game after game people either in the cave for full game or in side positions, no movement at towers despite fighting right next to them…

1 Like

OMG why ??? bleh

I remember a guy they thought was a bot gave all kinds of evidence. The guy had ran this route so many times that he literally looked like a bot doing it. I think he ended up having them watch him on camera actually run and do it or something. Problem is what it takes to hold a tower at times does in fact appear to be a bot or afk.

1 Like

WOW OMG so they are not actually all bots and there is one human being working at blizzard? OMG

We’re all assimilated in a hive mind we just dont know it.

Literally no longer playing AV for objectives or with any strategy at all, just running into the horde mob and spamming dps. I used to defend the first tower because stopping their recap squad matters a lot.

Thanks blizz.

Yep. There’s a point in basically every AV I’ve played where Horde controls no GYs, and when I die I have to run north from the cave. As I run back from the cave, I’ll swivel my camera to the towers I cap. If no one’s there, I cap it. If someone’s there, I keep on running by.

It’s surprising how hard this is for some of these people to understand that people being in the tower is the very reason the tower doesn’t get attacked.

1 Like

Or just, don’t afk. It’s pretty easy, I don’t afk in BGs all the time! And SHB/Farm/Fel Reaver are basically my in-game homes

They already addressed that a minority of the bans were (probably) undeserved and overturned. And that they reduced the ban for a bunch of actual AFKers due to first time offense.

lol sure they’re not

“We use computer to find out who is being bad. Computer made mistake. We think some people still bad. But we are reviewing the computer again because its probably still making mistakes. But we cannot unban everyone because then we would look like foolish level 10 instead of foolish level 8. Just because computer makes choices you have to understand human still in room. Human can see data on screen. But human just pushes ok. So computer does all work. Computer makes choices. Human moves mouse to ok and clicks. Computer is not automated. Computer good.”

1 Like

No, it just means a few false positives doesn’t invalidate an entire set of data.

1 Like

Whole lot of forum posts for it to be “a few” mistakes.

Wasn’t defending Blizzard, just pointing out that his response wasn’t helpful or insightful.

Algorithms are part of life. Automating suspensions based on multiple data sets seems like a sensible way to manage the workload whilst minimising chances the system can be abused.

Unfortunately, it looks like the algorithms have gone awry here and created a surge of false positives. Which is bad. But people in this thread acting like Skynet is taking over is bizarre.

I think Shadezster provided the best summary of the situation.

You are missing the point, the data the PERSON got could not have been accurate. But yeah this is normal, every-time Blizzard does something great like give us discount pvp gear and 4 weeks to get up and rolling… they do something really crappy.

Blizz has made their position clear. If your team doesn’t see value in what your doing in a BG, they may report you, and you can and will be banned.

If your team sees no value in anything other than zerging - than you must zerg as well.

I don’t agree with the above, but that’s Blizzard’s position. If you try to defend a tower, or backcap or enter a bg with less than optimal gear, you put your self at risk at upsetting your team, and thus put your self at risk of getting a ban.

1 Like

What Blizzard said directly contradicts this.

If you want to roll the dice that Blizz will take your side by all means, do so. I’m going to err on the side of caution. Do as you like.