Gladiator Stance

I’d love to have it back, but it will never happen at this point. >_<
But they could if they really wanted to. Make it a choice node with Def Stance or a capstone in place of shockwave.

Am I crazy, or is “Glad Stance” is being soft-inserted into DF?

If you look at the Warrior tree and the Arms Warrior tree in Dragonflight, it actually seems very possible to build a Sword & Board DPS. To my knowledge, all of Arms abilities just require a “melee weapon”… not a 2-handed weapon… and they scale off attack power, not weapon damage. So your rotation will be fundamentally the same DPS , whether you’re wielding 1 handed weapons or 2.

The only things you’d forfeit are about 5% DPS from the Two-Handed Weapon talent in the Warrior Tree, and slightly on auto attack damage, in favor of having a shield for more defense.

I have every class at max and have played since BC. Glad was my favorite class/ spec of all time. When they get classic progression to the point where glad is available again , that is the only thing I will play. I agree with others that are amazed Bliz is so adamant that this is not coming back. They don’t really surprise me anymore but I’m still disappointed by their approach to this this.

1 Like

It’s not glad stance, but you can definitely pump some numbers. Was just on beta and hit a 53k shield charge crit into 74k shield slam crit followed by a 27k dragons roar crit. Revenge is also hitting like a truck with the right spec.

I want a 2H and Shield spec for arms that has nothing to do with tanking.
Or let that be Prot Wars niche.

2 Likes

I feel like they could have easily created this in arms. Legit just have the 2handed damage increase talent in the general tree for arms be a choice node. 1 increases damage by 2h and gives access to slam ect.
Other node, Gladiator’s Tribute (or whatever you want to name it.)
Replaces Offensive stance, granting 5% damage while wielding a sword and shield (on top of the crit chance offensive stance would give). Slam is replaced with shield slam and all talents that would normally affect slam now affect shield slam. Causing double time to change as well. Doubletime will not instead grant a new skill Shield Charge, (essentially the prot version but with a lower cd.) with attacks being based off of attack power, it technically could be done. They could even throw in a shield throw skill for fun. Maybe one day.

Though honestly, I would prefer if they just made it its own spec.

1 Like

Having played D3, 2H+Shield seems more Prot Pala.

Also, Glad Stance for Arms probably the most interesting idea I’ve read on this thread. Make MS/overpower more shield focused abilities and you’re off to the races.

1 Like

…Why would you choose so inefficient a ‘weapon’ as a shield if you have no intention to mitigate damage?

And is not using a 2-hander as if it were a 1-hander already a unique feature of Fury?

Hopefully, that gets adjusted.

Coulda replaced the SMF build with it. The concept was great (and a favorite of mine in other games) but the WoD implementation was just bad.

Yes it’s being soft inserted possibly but not with Arms. There is a Glad stance build in the Prot tree if you take the right Class tree talents and stats. It’s not getting any attention nor do I want it too till tuning is done. Fortunately everyone plays Prot to Tank while I play Prot to always do damage so the build hasn’t gotten nerfed yet.

Prot should be able to keep up with Dps on single target with this build and it’s good people are so focused on Revenge, Tclap they ignore the really fun talents.

It’s been a long time since I wrote the 6.1 and 6.2 Glad stance Prot Guide in the warrior forums. Maybe 10.0 is the return. Lets see how Pre patch goes.

5 Likes

Give ALL stance back. I miss my stance dancing and having them teamed up with my advanced warrior macros. Loved that style of gameplay.

Stop giving false hope, saying protwarrior single target is as high as a normal dps damage is ludicrous. I have tried every dps talent, spent absurd amounts of time on test dummies and mythic+. You don’t come close on DPS to a real DPS. I challenge you to stop spreading false info or meet me on the BETA for a dps race.

Well, prot warrior is a tanking spec so I would hope that the people specing into it do intend to tank. The dmg output is nice, but its dmg profile is probably comparable to bdk and is probably bearly beaten out by monk,pally,and dh. Then again discussing dmg depends on what content people intend to do with the spec. So for pvp I would have no idea.

inb4 you were testing numbers in defensive stance and not battle stance

1 Like

I’ve been playing Prot for 16 years and my intention has always been doing huge damage with little interest in tanking. The only time I did Raid Progression was when they introduced Glad stance. Since finally I could play Sword and Board officially.

I have always played this game to play Prot in PvP.

I doubt people are really taking the right damage talents then as Prot War. Since it can do top end damage with it’s profile. Great sustain and huge burst.

1 shot people and go for YUUUGE Yeets.

That’s the goal to be a relentless attacker. A true Warrior. A Gladiator.

Well, it’s kind of hard to miss all the shield slam modifiers in any of the trees even all the CDs that increase dmg are hard to miss.

Yea but that isn’t the main reason why Prot can be played as a Dps now. It’s the smaller unnoticed talents and their synergy. Which I’ll explain some below to the other poster without giving it all away.

It is possible and as others said, likely you are in D stance and not optimizing a build with talents and Secondary stats. The reason why Prot can now perform as a Dps is because their rage generation is solved. They don’t need to take damage anymore to do a high APM single target rotation.

They can sit in Battle stance and go ham stacking Crit/Mastery to provide synergy in talents for unlimited rage and high sustain damage between 150k+ crits, bleeds, and uptime on damage modifiers. I feel like a Rogue when doing single target right now which is fun.

Of course not gemmed or enchanted either so once you hit stat breakpoint to maintain the high APM - a Glad stance build can really shine. It’s looking good again.

As a Beta tester I sometimes get excited and talk to early about builds in my theorycrafting and they get gutted. I’m not sure if Blizz did this high APM Glad stance design by choice or happy accident. So I keeping it quiet for now so DF can launch with the build intact.

Atleast give us the ability to transmog to sword and board.

It’s more fun to play it. I’d just like to see Battle Stance reduce agro or make it so you are considered Dps. Since everything else is there talent wise for Glad stance to work.