Give Monk a 4th spec: Chi-ji

You might be right. I like them, and I hope to see more though :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ve played FFXIV and I like the support aspects of some of the ranged physical DPS in that game, so itā€™s a playstyle Iā€™m fond of.

2 Likes

Yes, that part has never made sense to me. Blizzard Should really try to make discipline more of the DPS between the two

1 Like

Just part of the heavy homogenization they keep doing for each roll.

Self healing/sustain used to be a blood DK thing, now itā€™s just how tanks are designed with blood being usually one of the worst in high keys.

All healers push damage now, even without a damage-to-heal conversion like disc and monks.

Infinite scaling content with only 5 people keeps pushing this over and over.

Blizzard is doing a similar thing in Overwatch 2 with the support heroes. It seems like they want everyone doing DPS at all times with heals on the side. I donā€™t mind DPSing as one of the ā€œpureā€ healers every so often, but it is annoying to feel like you have to keep up good damage while healing through massive bursts of damage. Phasing out the pure healer is not a good move. More specs becoming support DPS in WoW might help with this issue and alleviate that pressure on the healers.

3 Likes

Disc is about consistent damage throughout the fight. Itā€™s not meant to out dps other healers if they have good windows to do dps between heals :man_shrugging:t2:

Idem. Itā€™s a matter of damage profile not doing a better overall dmg.

I donā€™t care. It feels poo poo and I donā€™t like it! :dracthyr_shrug:

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just like how you want a 4th spec for monk and I donā€™t :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Itā€™s always been an issue. The classes that dps to heal do less dps than those that stop healing to dps. Idk why they canā€™t just change the damage to heal mod and balance the dpsā€¦

It feels bad honestly. I donā€™t think people should be choosing a holy priest when they want to do more damage over disc. Idk what needs to change.

2 Likes

Actually a super easy thing to do is get rid of the caster build for MW so that we can get unique and fun fistweaving builds instead of just, you know, the one.

What specific spells would you get rid of to ā€œget rid of the caster build?ā€

Any casted heals? Clouded Focus (removed already in TWW)?

Great question, if I was in charge of the entire spec I would get rid of basically all abilities that arenā€™t instant cast. Because itā€™s iconic I think Iā€™d work SooM in as some kind of ā€œoh crap abilityā€ like give it a 30 second cooldown but it just pumps single target healing. Thatā€™s basically all itā€™s used for now anyways. I donā€™t like using SooM to set up instant cast vivifies to pump I think the channel itself should pump but also it should be kept situational. Essence Font is channeled but in the background, itā€™s instant cast and gives you a buff that makes the bolts fly off while youā€™re doing other things.

Mistweaver gets chi back to spend on instant vivifies, maybe SooM (instead of the CD I mentioned early just make it cost restrictive).

Two main fistweaver builds would be added, one plays like the current one, you get ancient teachings and your abilities do direct healing. The other gets hit combo and plays like BfA style fistweaver, where your goal is to extend hots. RSK costs chi just like WW, and you can choose between extending hots with it or instant vivifies with your chi economy.

There is probably better ways to build this is just an idea I had that I think sounds fun but there are multiple incarnations of fistweaving that should be represented and I think that living by the rule of always having a ā€œranged MWā€ is holding this class back significantly. Itā€™s a monk, a martial artist, it should be punching and kicking. If you want to play a caster there are four other healer specs that are exclusively ranged casters.

1 Like

Sounds absolutely miserable and good way to get a good chunk of ppl to quit playing.

3 Likes

Yeah for sure. Deleting caster Mistweaver and changing things that much would cause the dedicated playerbase to riot.

Look what happened when they changed Survival Hunter to melee. One of the least played and represented specs in the game to this day. Even when itā€™s been really OP still no one plays it. Terrible idea in my opinion and a good way to alienate your playerbase.

2 Likes

Soā€¦ your solution instead of giving a 4th spec and splitting Fistweaver and Mistweaver, so more of the player-base has choice and could get to decide what they want to play, is instead to gut the existing spec and narrow it just different versions of Fistweaving?

It certainly would not resolve any of the current issues but instead cause a massive uproar in the community, as many other have stated, and many would leave monk healing as a result.

Itā€™s fine to want or have many build choices centered on a style or idea. Splitting the specs into Yuā€™lon for Mistweaver and Chiā€™ji for Fistweaving would give room in the specs/trees to do just that.

Some of the issue is when blizzard plans for healing in any content they have to assume a baseline of what each healer can do. In this instance they assume every healer will have some form of ranged healing they can cast for far away targets for those times when they canā€™t be in melee, when they canā€™t be attacking to heal, or when they need to be far away to heal because of a fight mechanic.

So Fistweaving will always have a tool that could be used for range even if itā€™s not the focus of the spec much like paladins sometimes argue when they use holy shock/flash of light or other tools to heal at range when they are in melee.

Bringing this back to the main point: Splitting the specs would allow individual specs to focus in on a style of healing but still ensure they have the base kit tools to perform their role.

Monks in wow are MORE than just that though. The Celestialā€™s, their heritage, their roots in energy/spirit/chi gives them a greater breadth and depth of character/class. As such they can be more than a one dimensional class of punching and kicking. Having a healing style centered around the flow of chi, the movement and healing properties, is rather iconic at this point and fits as one piece of the monk we know today.

As to your last comment about playing something else: I get wanting to have Fistweaving be itā€™s own thing. Lets have Fistweaving be itā€™s own spec and we can discuss all the fun cool builds we could build out with it focusing on/around Chiā€™ji. You get the fun melee build, like others have asked for, that you wanted and get to enjoy it fully.

But then lets also take Mistweaving and give that as a 4th spec and we can then build out focusing on the Yuā€™lon for those of us that like the ranged aspect, the flow of chi an mist, as the alternative.

3 Likes

I remember that debacle/fiasco of a change. I recall that having a melee spec, centered around you and your beast both in melee fighting together, was not necessarily the heart of the issues as so much as it was many of the tools/spells/ranged shots that were iconic to Survival were not carried over in Survival nor were they offered as full builds in Beast Mastery or Marksman.

This meant that the unique ranged kit/style of survival was lost entirely save but a few pieces here or there left behind. I would hate to see the Healing monk taken down this road were we could lose so much of the monk if it were to be pushed strictly one way (melee or ranged) as opposed to spitting the specs for Yu"lon and Chiā€™ji

2 Likes

Yeah, and even worse would be the fact Mistweaver caster would literally just not exist at all anymore. At least with the Hunter comparison there were 2 ranged specs still to fall back on. Imagine how much worse making Misweaver fully Fistweaver would be received LOL.

A 4th Fistweaver spec split off from caster Mistweaver seems like exactly what happened when they split Feral into Feral and Guardian Druid. Itā€™s the best scenario to make 4 Monk specs. Pretty much everyone wins. One day anyway.

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad you mentioned druid because itā€™s a good example, good and bad lessons learned, but still a good example of how splitting the specs allowed blizz time to explore variations of each role and see what worked and what clearly would not.

Having the classic bear build or going for an arcane-bear moonfire build was something I would have never considered before. And I love the moonfire build for bear! But that only happened because the spec was split meaning they could explore/expand out the ā€œbearā€ tree on itā€™s own.

Feral cat ( i conceded iā€™m more limited on speaking to it) Definitely has some variety in ā€œhowā€ to build it. Bleeds are still the core it seems but the pieces of it have changed so you can get a few different styles/way to play that fit the bleed/combo point feral spec.

Building on what you said: we could definitely see iterations and improvements if the monk spec was split. and maybe there would be builds that could be offered BECAUSE they are split that they would not have been able to offer otherwise as it stands today.

4 Likes

I dont think thereā€™s much of a dedicated playerbase to Mistweavers and most people would be fine with both. However there are two outcomes I support either they scrap castweaving or fistweaving and dedicate to one or they separate them into different specs.

Yes because one could happen and one will not happen. Theyā€™ve added two specs in this entire gameā€™s history and only one of those was a spec built from the ground up. Would I like them to do it? Maybe. I donā€™t know if itā€™s worth the dev time to make a jade aesthetic resto druid knockoff spec.
Realistically itā€™s not happening. I donā€™t mean to be rude but like there are so many ranged caster playstyles represented by other healing classes that it feels insanely selfish to demand MW (and hpal for that matter) have half itā€™s tree dedicated to a ranged playstyle. So yes, if my choices are delete ranged MW as a playstyle and hold my breath for the chance of a fourth spec, bye casters.

Imagine being locked out of momentum Demon Hunter because they have a weak undercooked throw glaive build that half the DH playerbase was arbitrarily attached to. The choices would be eye beam DH and this hypothetical ranged DH. Thatā€™s so much worse than momentum DH existing and being allowed to breath.

All four of us?