Give Demonology Warlocks Metamorphosis Back!

Demonology (ranged dps): A master of demons who compels demonic powers to aid them

From wowhead

They summon and command indomitable demons to do their bidding, or even to be sacrificed as the Warlock sees fit, empowering and protecting the dark caster from harm.

From wowpedia

A commander of demons who twists the souls of his army into devastating power.

From Blizz class site

:man_shrugging: …but i hear ya, making stuff up is fun!

3 Likes

When the Warlock uses Metamorphosis they compel a demon to give them their power.

They command a demon to enter their body and give them powers.

This one I’ll give you as it is too vague.

Also making a level 10 vulpera rogue so you can’t be judged is fun as-well!

3 Likes

Source

Source

If making stuff up to fit lore is your game, by all means make up whatever you want. You can’t, however, claim lore says something it doesn’t and it’s just your interpretation.

So I’m curious, what part of a character would be relevant information to discuss lore? Do i need to raid mythic or do +20’s to be “qualified” to discuss lore? Ooh look you’re a mage, guess you can’t talk about warlocks either…:clown_face: What a pathetic chump reply!

4 Likes

The only “source” I could find was that the old talent for it was written as “You Transform into a demon for 30 seconds.” (the actual text was removed from the game so we can’t really see ). But just use your brain for a second and it’s pretty obvious. Please tell me what Metamorphosis is if it is not letting a demon take control.

You’re the one who started being snarky, I just returned the favor :man_shrugging: . Also yes being a level 10 does affect the conversation because it shows me that you aren’t ready to fully stand behind what you say, if you did then you would be posting on your main. It wasn’t a dig on whether or not you are doing top end content, if you look at me I barely do any content other than pvp, it was more to show that you aren’t going back it up. Also do you have nothing better to do other than argue with me about lore on something that has been removed?

2 Likes

The issue wasn’t whether that’s what the skill did. It was if the skill was warlock lore vs dh lore. If you’re gonna argue, keep up.

Be snarky all you want, just make sense with it.

Just gonna double down on saying stupid things I see. You seem to be REALLY into making your own inferences and running with them even though they’re baseless.

Tell me, what about my warlock would “back up” what I’m saying?

You started by replying to me chief. I never adressed you until you spoke directly to me. Don’t twist events because you’re about to fall down backpedaling

1 Like

It won’t happen like people want or even if it comes back it won’t be what people want…

It is dead.

edit; if you want to fly around and flap your wings… congrats… play a Evoker in the Xpac.

5 Likes

The entire green fire quest was about hunting down a guy who got so deep into demonology that he used metamorphosis. He was one of the OG Black Harvest guys, so it’s fine lorewise.

That said, meta doesn’t work with soul shards as a resource. It leaned heavily on demonic fury (or whatever it was called) and would just be a typical cooldown with a weird graphic in this day and age.

8 Likes

i think what demo has now can be refined further and that makes meta unneeded but with it showing its face in wrath classic and a talent tree rework fundamentally altering how we all interact with spec means its not out of the question. if there were ever a time for it, this would be it with the talent rework happening.

1 Like

I absolutely loved Demo in Cata.
LOVED IT.
Rotation out of demo form.
Rotation change when in demo.
Execute phase with MC and Decimate.

Jumping in and out of melee and channelling demonic power to Metamorph was mint.

There is DEFINITELY a way to bring that back in.

Use imps out of demo for static damage and implosion. Plus talents for other summons.

Pop Demonic Tyrant and meta into DT, absorb all current demons and buff damage and shield/health or whatever for 20sec on a 1.5min CD.
Leap into melee Cast Hellfire Aura, slash AoE and Shadowflame cone splits damage equally , mechanic proc stuff and things.
When you exit DT you have full shards.
Normal rotation.

Basically instead of summon tyrant we get that apex feeling Cata gave us.

I utterly loved every aspect of that iteration of Demo.
The idea of wrapping current imp and demon play around that would be insane. :raised_hands:

4 Likes

How about demo locks have the ability to control Vulpera now that’d be funny.

3 Likes

They can bring back the playstyle completely and just have us go into a Possesed or Trance state instead of the Metamorphosis one. I think that can solve a lot of the controversies regarding the spells/abilities we had by becoming a demon ourselves. I personally loved the MoP/early Wod style of going into that state freely as opposed to it being a CD as in Cata.

2 Likes

No thanks, I’d rather have Summon Annihilan as our super move like Kanrethad had.

I can already see that the controversies would remain. What about an old Demo/new Demo hybrid? We can keep being the summoner we are today, but enter a “Possesed/Trance” state of mind freely instead of the Summon Demonic Tyrant.

3 Likes

Thank you, and YES, i’d take that Metamorphosis any day. Would give anything to be able to turn a huge green demon again, even if its on a 10min cd like the dk’s undead army.

Meta was the main reason i got pulled into playing a warlock for the first time back in Pandaria, it was fun and I LOVED it.

The ENTIRE green fire questline, as mentioned above by Master Summoner Ziras, is a great argument on how its fine lorewise.

Also… Inspiration: Metamorphosis is adapted from the iconic demon hunter ability of the same name, and is visually based on Illidan Stormrage’s demon form.

And… Illidan lore: The battle for control of the Skull came with a heavy price and the artifact’s powers changed him. Transformed into a demon, Illidan wrapped himself in shadow and utterly destroyed Tichondrius and his forces . But with victory came devastation.

NOTE: “Came with a heavy price” dealing with fel magic and demons is the reason why we were going through a Metamorphosis, and slowly turning into demons, becoming corrupted, etc.

AND it would be viable to make it a talent, on the last row of course. Instead of picking up the Tyrant talent, which increases its damage, we would have Metamorphosis, which would replace the Tyrant and grant us a damage increase, on a 1.5min cd just like the Tyrant does.

The dps would remain the same, but old and wise warlocks who fought for their green fire/form back in the day would once again be able to use it, while others could just keep casting shadowbolts and summoning Tyrants for the rest of the eternity.

But bviously many will still complain about it like the whiney newbie locks they are because, as stated before, THEY ARE NOT PREPARED!

7 Likes

Yep, Demonology warlocks don’t simply curse and cast fire spells but they actively deal with powerful demons, constantly subjugating them, which would slowly corrupt them just like it did to Kanrethad, lorewise the hybrid would be necessary, that or Illidan was the only one of his kind (corrupted), but oh wait, we got demon hunters now, so thats not the case.

4 Likes

counter offer, give DH a glyph that gives the appearance of lock meta. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I now am thinking about a demo lock with Meta being able to “taunt swap” for the main tank to help reduce stacks or such. Something that allows it take a beating for a bit, but not something you would go around tanking normally in.

Basically you get some buffed on tankiness for a bit that allows you to help tank for the encounter, but not a whole dungeon.

Also would need a taunt at that point, a good ol’ fashioned HIT ME

1 Like

The Dark Apotheosis glyph (if I recall the name correctly) did this for us back in MoP. Saw another Demo Lock tank a LFR boss, since we weren’t getting any tanks.

2 Likes

We shall make this thread the highest so it’s the first thing the devs see when they enter our class forums.

5 Likes

most melee can already do this while not accidentally bringing a ranged targeted mechanic into melee

this happens every expansion and it still hasnt come back so i don’t think its gonna