Gifted PC - won’t connect to internet

I was gifted a gaming rig from a friend but unfortunately internet connection seems to be a problem. The PC rig is connected to the wall port through an Ethernet cable, but there is no connection to internet.

I am not tech savvy at all, but it was recommended to me that I should purchase a wireless adapter I can plug into the USB port of the PC. Any ideas)

I wouldn’t go the route of a USB to wireless adapter.

I’d check to see if they had manual network settings configured, rather than automatic (DHCP). You can also try running the network troubleshooter in Windows and see if it will correct whatever problem is going on.

Failing those things, it could be a driver issue. You could look into downloading the newest driver for the network adapter that’s in the computer.

Thanks, it looks like all of the network settings are automatic. Where would I go about checking if it’s up to date on the latest driver for that?

Ask them the check that the wall port is connected to the router or network.

1 Like

Only thing I have to what Zungar and the others said is to try a Windows Network Reset. Link in blue.

Cheers!

I’ll start at the beginning…

@OP, do you have Internet service? I don’t mean on a phone or tablet or via 4g or 5g, I mean home internet service?

This piggybacks on what Zungar said, about checking the port. It’s possible the wall port isn’t connected to your network. It’s also possible you don’t have a home network.

What I ask may seem silly, but some folks move into a new home or apartment, see the ethernet ports on the wall, and assume that active service is already in place… not realizing they need to call and activate service.

My dad did exactly this five or six years ago when he moved into a new home. I was like, “Dad! You gotta turn on the service, just like the lights and water!” LOL! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Yes the USB WiFi is a great solution for those that are having trouble for whatever reason with their wired connection.

https ://www.amazon.com/LOTEKOO-300Mbps-Adapter-Wireless-Network/dp/B06Y24GDR8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=300Mbps+Mini+Wireless+USB+Wifi+Adapter+LAN-Antenne+Netzwerk-Adapter+RTL8188&qid=1635198936&sr=8-2

This will work with Windows 10 straight out of the box no driver download.

I have extensively tested this USB WiFi and have found no difference between wired in speed, connectivity etc.

For around $10 it would be cheaper than buying a new network card.

The only problem I’ve found is after around 18mths-2yrs you might need to replace it with a new one.

Don’t forget with 5g on the horizon blitz speed wireless is the future.

EDIT: Try resetting the network in powershell using the example below…

Summary

Launch Windows Powershell as an elevated process via Task Manager → Start Menu → Run → taskmgr → File → Run new Task → %SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe → Select “Create this task with administrative privileges.” → Click OK.

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope CurrentUser -Force
Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope LocalMachine -Force;
Get-NetAdapter | Enable-NetAdapter;
Set-NetIPInterface;
Get-DnsClient | Set-DnsClientServerAddress -ResetServerAddresses;
Get-NetAdapterBinding | Disable-NetAdapterBinding -AllBindings -IncludeHidden -componentid “ms_netbios”;
Get-NetAdapterBinding | Enable-NetAdapterBinding -componentid “ms_tcpip”;
Get-NetAdapterBinding | Enable-NetAdapterBinding -componentid “ms_tcpip6”;
Get-NetAdapterBinding | Disable-NetAdapterBinding -AllBindings -IncludeHidden -componentid “ms_netbios”;
Get-NetAdapterBinding | Disable-NetAdapterBinding -componentid “ms_msclient”;
Get-NetAdapterBinding | Disable-NetAdapterBinding -componentid “ms_server”;
Get-NetAdapterBinding | Disable-NetAdapterBinding -componentid “ms_pacer”;
Get-NetAdapterBinding | Disable-NetAdapterBinding -componentid “ms_implat”;
Get-NetAdapterBinding | Disable-NetAdapterBinding -componentid “ms_lldp”;
Get-NetAdapterBinding | Disable-NetAdapterBinding -componentid “ms_rspndr”;
Remove-Item -Path “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Wpad” -Recurse -Force;
Set-ItemProperty -Path “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings” -Name “DisableCachingOfSSLPages” -Value “00000000”;
Set-ItemProperty -Path “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings” -Name “EnableNegotiate” -Value “00000000”;
Set-ItemProperty -Path “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings” -Name “ProxyEnable” -Value “00000000”;
Set-ItemProperty -Path “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings” -Name “MigrateProxy” -Value “00000001”;
Set-ItemProperty -Path “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings” -Name “WarnonZoneCrossing” -Value “00000000”;
Set-ItemProperty -Path “HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings” -Name “SyncMode5” -Value “00000000”;

If you’re wondering what the above script does, it basically enables all network adapters, resets DNS addresses, enables DHCP, disables network shares / file sharing, QoS which will lag you, some other bogus stuff that in general is a big security risk for WAN networks, such as the Web Proxy Auto-Discovery (WPAD) Protocol. You might have to set the DNS address manually based on your network policy (this would be a good start, if you weren’t aware of what your default network policy is or what the settings are on your gateway / router.)

----------+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------++++++++++
+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------
----------+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------++++++++++

You have to run this batch routine from an elevated command prompt. Here is a foolproof way to create an elevated command prompt → Start Menu → Run → taskmgr → File → Run new Task → %SystemRoot%\System32\CMD.EXE → Select “Create this task with administrative privileges.” → Click OK.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset
netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------+++++++++±---------

Netsh int ip reset says access denied (from itcrumbs . com )

"I spent hours troubleshooting this on several freshly upgraded systems running Windows 10 that couldn’t connect to the network because they couldn’t obtain an IP from the DHCP server. All machines exhibited the same issue and all machines were previously joined to a homegroup (not a domain). Here are the symptoms:

1. The system is upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 build 1511 and works as expected but cannot obtain an IP address via Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
  2. The system works normally if a static IP is assigned.
  3. Resetting the TCP/IP stack results in the following information:

netsh int ipv4 reset
Resetting interface, OK!
Resetting Unicast Address, OK!
Resetting Neighbor, OK!
Resetting Path, OK!
Resetting , failed.
Access is denied.Resetting , OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action

In essence having had the systems joined to a homegroup somehow messed up the TCP/IP stack in windows 10 after the upgrade to the point that the system cannot obtain an IP address from DHCP. Here’s how to fix the issue:

1. Open Regedit.
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nsi and expand that folder.
  3. Expand the subfolder named {eb004a00-9b1a-11d4-9123-0050047759bc} and right-click the subfolder named 26. Select Permissions… and ensure that for Everyone the Full Control box is checked.
  4. Press WIN+X to open a command prompt with elevated permissions. Type netsh int ip reset and hit enter. Now you should see the following results:

Resetting , OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action

5.Reboot the system."

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.