Getting a name

Is there any way to get a name that is currently in use if the player who has it doesn’t ever play the toon with the name is on. Some names I’ve tried to make that have been already taken I added the players who took the name to my friends list to see how often they play, and a couple of them have never ever logged into the toons. So is there a way to claim a name that someone likely just took on a level 1 and then forgot all about it on a server they probably don’t even play on?

A few expansions ago they stopped answering tickets to free up names, and switched to a policy where they’d free up names from long inactive accounts when expansions were released.

I really doubt they will, but I’m logging in Tuesday and on release to try a handful of names, just in case they sneak this into TBC release.

Oh man I hope so

1 Like

Same, but its a loooong shot.

Only other real option is to put on your prettiest dress and submit a ticket.

The policy used to be that they would release names on characters that hadn’t been played in two expansions.

What if they intend to play the character as an alt in the future? I sat on one of my chars names for 8 months before I finally logged in to make her my alliance tailor alt bag queen. I’d be pretty ticked if I got slapped with a name change. Worth trying tho

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter if that specific character hasn’t logged in as long as the account is active and other characters are being played.

1 Like

You can try submitting in a ticket and asking Blizz about it, so you can create the toon with that name. It’s how I unlocked “Piper”, for the Standard Game. Well, the “Name Change” feature is in the Standard Game. For Classic, you have to start the Toon from scratch.

That being said, you can’t take names away from people, with an active account. Not necessarily active on the server. Because “they might, someday, return to that Toon.”

I don’t want to say I’m an “expert” in knowing this…but I have patiently waited, for years, to unlock ALL of the Charmed Names, alt command free. GL

EDIT: To ensure, I don’t lose my Names, I log in, every once in awhile. Sometimes, I don’t trust just having “an active account”. I log in enough to still be listed, in the Armory. That’s how I checked (IK, there’s no Classic Armory which makes cracking down on taken up Names, that much more difficult) to see if there’s any “activity” on said character, for the Server I play on.