Get ready for wow on X-Box

You absolutely are trolling.

2 Likes

You are calling people stupid for disagreeing with you, but Im the troll. Okay.

I’m not simply “disagreeing” with you. You’re quite obviously refusing to read the posts or research anything, evidenced by the fact you didn’t even know Diablo had console ports before, you valued your opinions as facts and even when presented with a blue post saying that this is only about adding keybinds, you somehow want to argue it’s something else.

So no, you’re still wrong.

3 Likes

Lol. Kinda sorta sad this is what remains of the retail community. Only a few years ago this thread would be flooded with people saying “uh, no that’s a really bad idea and here’s why” now it’s filled with “yes-yes master blizzard do good-good porting WoW to console-box thing!”. Very very sad.

I didn’t know Diablo had console ports but remember playing Diablo and Hellfire on Playstation 1. Got it.

You have no idea what you are talking about, but really think that you do. It’s sad, honestly.

Point out exactly to me where they say it’s a console port.

2 Likes

I never once said that they said it would be. I never claimed there was an official announcement. But you are delusional if you think it’s not coming in the relatively near future.

I don’t disagree with anything they said. They said all this is happening because “some players already used addons for this, accessibility, etc.”

I don’t dispute that. But there is also not a denial of coming to console either.

1 Like

Whats wrong with you? It doesn’t say that it is, but it’s silly to think that it’s not, eventually.

1 Like

I’ll give you $100 as soon as it is on console.

Don’t budget around it too soon, though.

I’ll bookmark this thread then.

You’re one of those people who don’t believe any speculation, no matter how logical and obvious it is, unless there is an official announcement I guess.

1 Like

Controller support is not a direct causation of a console port. So you’ll have to excuse me for not drawing immediate links.

Anyway, see ya in SL, with $100 still in my bank account.

2 Likes

It’s not just “controller support.”

It’s a combination of a lot of things. Go watch Bellular’s video on it. The action camera, the improved multicore support which is critical for consoles, the new character creation screen. The relative success of other mmo’s on console. It’s all adding up to an obvious conclusion. I’m not saying it will launch with Shadowlands, or even within a year from now.

But it’s coming.

1 Like

“Blizzard will never sell items!”
Blizzard starts selling pets with the Pandaren Monk

“Blizzard will never sell mounts!”
Blizzard sells Celestial Stead

“Blizzard will never sell gold!”
Blizzard sells gold

“Blizzard would never allow people to queue for a raid!”
LFR

“Blizzard would never sell characters!”
Blizzard sells level boosts

“Blizzard will never come out with vanilla servers!”
Blizzard comes out with Classic

“Blizzard would never put WoW on Console!”

1 Like

Damn son, that’s a bad track record you got there.

Think you’ll might find something here about something at PAX…

At PAX East, videogame site DualShockers spoke with World of Warcraft Producer Daniel Stahl about the chance of the game coming to console, and he was less than reassuring about the idea.

Stahl mentioned to the site that porting World of Warcraft to consoles would mean altering fundamental parts of the game - parts that Blizzard thinks would ruin the experience.

“You know, World of Warcraft is really designed for Personal Computers, I think. There’d have to be so many different changes we’d have to make to make it a console game… We really want to continue making World of Warcraft as it is right now.

"We’d have to do something entirely different if we wanted to do something for consoles.”

Don’t expect World of Warcraft to come to Xbox One, PS4 and especially not Nintendo Switch any time soon.

source

EDIT: It was an interview with PAX East after Blizcon announcement in 2018.

4 Likes

Not really.

It does have a longer GCD, but it’s offset by two key details:

• It still retains a large pool of off-GCD abilities for all classes & specs to keep the gameplay active… though admitted it takes quite a while before this starts to take shape (level 50-60 for most classes/jobs).
  • There’s absolutely no “empty GCDs”, at least when you’re able to attack. None at all, you’re ALWAYS doing something. You pretty much never run into a resource generation issue as you’re always actively doing something… quite often building up resources for your stronger attacks or building up to your “burst phase” (depends on the job in question). Come to think of it, this is probably why FFXIV uses combos and sequences of abilities as filler rather than single attacks; it’d be pretty damn dull if you were hitting the same one or two abilities all the time.
  • FFXIV places more emphasis on movement and survival. WoW likes to abuse mechanics where the entire floor gets covered in goop-of-doom until you run out of space to maneuver. Conversely, FFXIV likes to throw out sequences of AoEs which cover the entire room and you have to stand in the right spot at the right time; often combining this with other typical mechanics which require you stack up, spread out, eliminate adds, and somethings mid-fight minigames (including one boss which makes you do a spot of math). You HAVE to move to survive, especially once you find out there’s this stacking debuff called “vulnerability” which increases all damage taken by 40-50% (I think, it’s not small) for 2 minutes when you fail to dodge something you should have. Then they give melee DPS positional-based bonus damage for half or more of their abilities (mostly the combos which take up the bulk of the rotation), they’re CONSTANTLY moving.

Back to the general point, it’s no secret that Blizz is interested in adding controller support to WoW. The current efforts seem to be more in-line with giving add-on developers better stuff to work with to make controllers work better with WoW.

Are they trying to port the game to consoles? I don’t think that’s currently in the works, one big reason being that they simply don’t have controller support sorted out yet. Are they letting the add-on developers do a lot of the preliminary legwork and ironing out the kinks for them? Maybe.

Another potential issue is the business dynamics. Putting an online-only game onto consoles means they have to put it on the consoles’ established networks – and the owners of those networks (the same owners as the consoles themselves) will want their cut. Also factoring in those online networks may have their own subscriptions as a prerequisite for online play (or did, this may have changed), they may not be able to charge the full subscription fee to attract console players. Oh, and they’d have to ensure ports for multiple console generations would have to be maintained in some way; WoW is already far older than the lifecycle of consoles.

However, I can see Blizz wanting a slice of the console market if they are able to put their foot in the door. It’s a large potential playerbase, there’s no reason for them to avoid it out of principle. It would be misguided for them to heavily modify the game with the sole intent of accessing consoles (especially when they shouldn’t have to… though a case for modifying the game to address some other longstanding issues is a different story)… but Blizz has been nothing but misguided lately, hasn’t it?

1 Like

Waiting on Dorchak to jump onto that one.

I remember that very interview at pax, as someone who has been pushing for WoW console when basically zero other people wanted it. A lot can change with design philosophy in a year. Just look at all the back tracking on other changes coming to the game.

Not to mention, the higher ups can be telling them to make it for console, even if the developers don’t agree with it.

1 Like

WoW on console?

i thought it was just for people who wanted to use a controller instead of a KBM?

The mountain of code placed on console sounds painful.

Not so bad since they recently greatly improved multicore support for WoW’s engine.

1 Like