Genuinely curious, why Blizzard can't get the tech side of things right?

What is the issue?

6 Likes

the issue is that thing on your head i’m looking at

6 Likes

What they should be offering are FREE transfers off populated realms.

2 Likes

Well ,let’s start with the fact that we have a core that is over 20 years old. Then with each success patch more code is added. C++ is very particular, in that one line of code can have unseen impact on a seemingly unrelated line of code 1000’s of lines away.

Now multiply this affect over 9 expansions and the dozen or so patches per expansion.

3 Likes

Server load has nothing to do with this issue.

4 Likes

They have several versions of the engine. This might be an ok excuse for a small project, but this is a huge company that had many months to prepare for this.

2 Likes

They should just shut down the OW2 servers and use the hardware to fasten up the WoW backbone.

2 Likes

And all are using the same 20+ year old core. You think they rewrite the core every patch or expansion? Build version, what do you think that means?

Are you sure. It was fine all day when we were not in prime time.

1 Like

When the problem is a particular line of code, the more users online increases the chances that the line of code in question gets called on, and once that happens its a snowball effect.

I suppose that is possible.

Yeah it’s happening on all servers, not just high pop/full ones

I lol’ed. Thanks for that.

Small indie company and paying for a yacht.

:panda_face:

4 Likes

coded in C++ then have you? :wink:

Probably shouldn’t have fired all the frat boys from i.t.

4 Likes

I code in A++ because I study better

2 Likes

I am looking at FFXIV with Endwalker. We had 2 hour or more queues and they had to stop selling the game because they could not keep up.

They have done a complete refresh every couple of expansions, there are several major versions. Keep blabbering about what you probably learned in a bootcamp though. Do you have no one in real life to brag to?

1 Like

Didn’t they lay a bunch of people off a while back? Infrastructure guys are always the first to go in a tech operation.