General mob behavior and flee mechanics

As other have said, this is a Legion client issue and is incredibly annoying when tanking groups. In an ironic bit considering the targetting issue, it was made to spread out enemies in groups so you could target specific ones better. And, no one likes it.

This actually existed in Vanilla. I have to ask before making any claims on it, were you doing it in shapshifted form? That is because feral had an issue for many versions of WoW (at least until Cata and if I remember, even later) where your hitbox is too far forward for your melee hit to strike. This was proven in TBC where specials and white would hit at different distances.

Definitely a bug.

This was also in Vanilla. It has to do with how quest item looting worked back then. If there was an item you could not pick up on it and nothing else, that happened.

Not going to claim this is correct, but I seem to remember that when a mob aggro’ed its aggro range increased. Dont that that as cannon thugh.

Another Vanilla issue. It was annoying in many of the houses with mobs in them. If their or your hit box when through a wall even slightly, they would aggro players. Very annoying.

This was also a good one in Vanilla. Darkshore in Vanilla had a lot of these, usually with the mob in a tree. I was actually surprised to see it still in. There ARE ways to kill them, but the vast majority of the time, it just is not worth it.

This is one I am going to say I am not certain on. I seem to remember it being different for different abilities. Some worked fine, like thorns, others did not work at all.

The only time this should happen is if there is a special batched for the mob. I have noticed it happening more than it should as well.

This one is correct that it is a bug to my memory.

So yeah, some of those I know are not “bugs” in classic because they were in Vanilla, but others are definitely bugs.

Added the massive auto attack windfury bug to the list. This is probably the biggest bug of them all

No changes

I was shifted in cat from what I remember, however with spell batching live I wouldn’t put anything past this being a batching issue

One way or another mob looting is bugged. Whether rolling on an item that only you can receive anyways, or mobs showing loot when they have none, or not being able to skin a mob that had a quest item. One way or another, it’s bugged.

Mobs shouldn’t chain onto players as they do at the moment.

So I’m confused here, it seems like you want to have your cake and eat it. We’re getting Legion changes without any Legion benefits. So the way I see it, walls were intended to be walls. If that particular wall was bugged in vanilla is impossible to test, so therefore it is a bug and needs to be fixed. I’m not going to go off one particular player’s memory as to “oh yeah that wall on that boat I remember 15 years ago it was bugged” that’s insane logic.

It’s really quite simple, if you do damage to a mob you tag it. Even 1 damage. Any amount of damage should tag a mob.

Yeah. Taunting a mob should cause it to attack you. Whether or not it has some sort of ability or mechanic to drop agro, or it’s fleeing, taunting should always agro the mob onto that player

Aggro sharing

This has been frustrating experience for me. I’ve had to make a habit of putting distance between myself and others when I need to heal or even just to eat/drink as to not rip aggro from them when I was never involved in their encounter.

The most infuriating times I’ve had have been during PvP when I’ve pulled aggro from enemy players because I healed myself, even when the enemy players were previously engaged with the mob or they aggro’d it themselves by running past them.

" Flee mechanics"

This is obnoxious when I use psychic scream and the mobs I’m fighting run straight across to the opposite side of the zone I’m in before dropping aggro and resetting.

2 Likes

That’s pretty ridiculous, there should be no possible way to “assist” an enemy player so I don’t know how it’s possible to take agro from a cross faction player

Exactly, mobs shouldn’t be running so far as to literally reset agro

Sunscale Scytheclaws in the Barrens show this behavior. Been hit 4 times at once for over half my health.

I’ve never seen any of the hits crit for some reason.

It’s REALLY strange.

2 Likes

Good to hear that this is a universal issue

Thanks for making this post, can confirm all of it. Wondered if it was just me since not many people are complaining about it

Here’s video of Baron backpeddaling twice

Looks dumb as hell and isn’t vanilla mechanics

_clips.twitch._tv/UglyCrunchyAlmondMVGame

Added references to the OP

No problem man.

Most people are shills

1 Like

Bump 10 char

This deserves it’s own requote and bump.

Remove backpedaling it is so god damn annoying, especially as a tank. I want my mobs to STAY STILL if they’re in melee range.

Also mobs like Ony’s hitboxes are hilariously large. It is IMPOSSIBLE to reposition her most of the time. This can become a huge issue on a boss like chromaggus. God I can’t wait to see what an epic fail that’s gonna be trying to reposition that nightmare

So many bugs on this list are low key annoying as hell. Not game breaking but Jesus Christ please fix them

4 Likes

bumping in the vain hope the janitor reads this

1 Like

i noticed most recently, that i cannot single pull a creature anymore doesn’t matter about linked or not literally a week or so ago i could pull ANY mob pack with a throwing knife and repeat hit that one target and run 40yards away and the others would run back except for the one i hit now they follow all the way like 300 yards distance

Do you have evidence that mob “backpedaling” isn’t vanilla?

“HurR DuRr. YoU JusT DoNT RemEMbEr!”

Private servers can’t come back soon enough. Bring back lights hope ffs.

1 Like

while I think they shouldn’t aggro through walls, I believe objects in vanilla were always inconsistent, some of them do count as LOS others did not.

Yep, they have the busted pathing from Legion

this sort of thing worries me, every time the retail client breaks something is that broken thing going to seep its way into the classic client?

Probably not. From what I understand, they took the legion client and tried to revert as much as they could to be like classic. Now they just continue to hack up the legion client separately. I don’t think it has anything to do with the retail client.

Exactly, mobs shouldn’t be running so far as to literally reset agro

My warlock feared a mob today who ran so far away that my demon despawned. Then the mob ran back to me without resetting and I had to finish it with out my pet.

1 Like

Lmao Jesus Christ yeah fear seems so janky on how far mobs run away every single time.

They should be changing directions not running in a single line

1 Like