General DK Alpha Class Tree Changes

Posting for visibility.

Continuing the discussion from The War Within Alpha Development Notes:

3 Likes

I like the direction, but also am curious on blood/frost.

They mentioned they wanted to bring disease play back previously. I was hoping for something a little more than what we have gotten, but overall I like the changes.

Curious about talents like death pact. Is that ever going to be useful?

Also curious about the rune forge changes. Will FC still be king?

Ultimately, I donā€™t like it at all. It doesnā€™t solve some of the core issues of too many button presses to wind up as unholy. They need to make some of the abilities passive procs, the current amount of presses is excessive. I donā€™t care if they shortened a lot of the abilities. Get rid of army, make a minion pop up on auto attack. Get rid of popping wounds or putting them up and have them passively go or off. This isnā€™t streamline, this is just more presses with shorter durations, and thatā€™s adding to the problem. At least thatā€™s what Iā€™m getting from these notes.

7 Likes

Man, they did not cook good stuff this time around. Its literally looking like you dont pick any capstones at allā€¦ they need to either give us abom baseline if they nerf it so much or revert the changeā€¦ as of right now you just dont pick abom cuz its worthless. Yay we have even less control now as a dkā€¦ all hail vdh control tabk supremecyā€¦

This thread isnā€™t about Unholy, itā€™s about the general class tree. Thereā€™s already one posted about Unholy.

The general tree is 100% streamlined and saying it isnā€™t is disingenuous. Almost every power node went from 2->1 and have more branches, making picking up utility & defensives nodes easy.

Thatā€™s as streamlined as you can get outside of a tree thatā€™s just 31 points total.

4 Likes

While the cleaving strikes change is nice, I really hope itā€™s just a fix for unholy and not intended to be the fix for Frost as well.

3 Likes

I like the general tree changes, though will have to see them on the calculator.
It is a nice improvement, but feel gorefiends and maybe defile should be in the general tree.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the change for all 3 specs.

4s is more than enough time to dance in and out. Itā€™s firmly a skill issue now.

3 Likes

Clicked the link so I assumed it was for all our changes. Iā€™ll critique the general changes for you. Still not impressed.

1 Like

This is a real stinker. Like itā€™s so bad. Turned one of the coolest abilities that the class has into a dead talent.

8 Likes

Okay, so after seeing the talents on the tree, it is an improvement overall. But it also feels like our capstones are kinda meh. The limb nerfs hurts for sure. The other capstones are okay. But with how the tree is now, can you even really afford a capstone? Iā€™m so jelly of WW and ret.
DH get reduced magic damage for free, we have to have a capatone for it.

Still needs work imo. Things like insidious chill still being there are just meh. Why even have that when locks do it better.

One could argue DG is ā€œraidā€ utility, but besides certain fights, we bring nothing. They really need to change how amz functions.

I was super excited at first, but after serinf things in the talent calc, Iā€™m disappointed. Let down.

The UH tree seems interesting, but also the placement of certain nodes feels off.

2 Likes

Only really agree in terms of Blood. This ability was one part of the resource glut Frost and Unholy have both been experienced.

3 Likes

well, they kinda removed most of the issues. No 2nd erw, and hysteria was deleted. Abom limb is kinda worthless now. You dont even have the points to take itā€¦ tree is kinda dogwater

4 Likes

Itā€™s firmly a design issue still. Requiring you to be in a static AoE ability in order to cleave your abilities is and always has felt like trash. End of story.

16 Likes

Awesome changes! This frees up so many points to grab more things, and so many defensive talents will make DKs across every spec and content very happy. Keep the good changes rolling, excited to see more of whats in store!

2 Likes

Get rid of cleaving strikes! Itā€™s absolutely garbage gameplay. Just do it, buff Dots so we donā€™t even need to AoE strike for all I care.

I just canā€™t understand it. EVERY other class in the game as AoE abilities on demand, yet we need to stand in some non moving garbage let alone wasting a precious GCD before even doing said damage.

20 Likes

This kills the spec.

6 Likes

Letā€™s GO Blizzard. This is a great start, love it. Unholy will be so much more fluid. Looking forward to frost/blood and to the eventual final product.

Blood is in no way dependent on the bone shield from Abom lol

3 Likes

Iā€™m concerned with frost losing the 2nd charge of empower rune weapon. Its on a 2 min cooldown so if we only have one charge, our 2nd pillar is going to feel pretty underwhelming,.

I do like this tho! * Cleaving Strikes now also retains bonus effects for being within your Death and Decay for 4 seconds when leaving its area.

my Thoughts so far on the spec tree are mostly okay but it is still bloated.

I would do the following:
-Make Improved Festering Strikes a 1 Point node
-Make Runic Mastery a 1 point node
-Make Unholy Blight Baseline and do not add a talent in its spot just extend the arrow down to the next talent like they did on the class tree from Ice Prison to Chains
-Swap Ebon Fever and Bursting Sores
-Combine Army of the Dead and Raise Abomination into a choice node.

4 Likes