Gearing a fresh 60

Hello all- I haven’t played in a few months and just got my Druid up to 60. Can anyone recommend what I should do to optimize my gear for PvP?

Torghast: Should I start doing torghast right off the bat? I noticed torghast recommends an ilvl for each tier, however, I did up to tier 4 as a fresh 60 and had no problems… so those ilvl recommendations seem inaccurate.

Korthia: I haven’t really looked into these quests, nor do I know how to access them, but I did read this will be the best option for gear. Can anyone give input on this one too?

PvP: From my understanding it is pointless to gear via PvP due to Blizzard not scaling the ilvl’s properly for fresh players and being renown locked. SMH. :angry:

Dungeons: Is it worth doing regular dungeons for gear? I assume my ilvl is too low for mythics. I’ve also never done mythics- I’m unsure how to access them.

Thank you in advance!

2 Likes

They are overexaggerated, for sure. Yes you can start and perhaps should do it off the bat so you can start earning stuff.

Korthia is the new zone where all the catch up gear is at. You should do your covenant campaign which will set you on a gearing path and will eventually throw you into Korthia where you can start getting the latest gear.

Sure is. Heroics give ilvl 197, mythic 0 starts at 210. Korthia gear starts at 200. You can see the full list here: https://www.wowhead.com/guides/how-to-gear-shadowlands-item-level-rewards

M0 requires you to create or join a group and physically go the dungeon’s entrance to do the dungeon. Default hot key H > Mythics & Raids Tab > Premade Group > Dungeon. Mythics have levels, and the regular ones are called M0. So once you get some heroic gear or heroic level gear, you should give M0s a try. M0 is the beginning mythics, and once you get a hang of them, you can start climbing M+, but you can set that aside until you get the hang of M0 first.

2 Likes

Thank you for the in-depth response. So right now I have two campaigns in my quest log- one looks to be for Ardenweald and the other Necrolord (which is my current covenant). Just to clarify, I only need to do a few progressions of my Necrolord campaign to gain access to Korthia, or all 9/9 of it? I thought skipping the ‘leveling via campaign’ allowed you to bypass doing any campaign.

As for Mythics, is there a recommended ‘Mythic level’ to do in retrospect to what your ilvl is? Like if I have a 226 ilvl, can I start doing Mythic 8’s or anything similar?

I had to look up the information since I already completed it. You start your necrolord campaign and you need to complete the torghast chapter, which is at the beginning of the campaign. You should then get the one for Ardenweald (campaign called Chains of Domination), which is what you have I believe. Follow the Ardenweald campaign and it’ll take you to Korthia.

No, that referred to only the campaign to level. The covenant campaign is meant for end game players, which starts at 60. The covenant campaign starts you off with 197 gear, so it is a good source of starter gear. But you can go straight to Korthia after the Torghast chapter and start grinding there.

Technically yes, but I don’t recommend that you do. m0 has a recommended ilvl of 197 (heroic dungeon gear). With ilvl 226 you can theoretically jump straight to +15s (people in my guild already have). But the thing with M+ is that experience is valued over your ilvl. One person not knowing mechanics dooms the whole dungeon. In 9.1 Blizz added a rating to help others judge your experience in M+, and before 9.1 people used an addon called raider io, which tracks publicly available information on your dungeon runs. It is still recommended you install and track your rating using raider io (it gives more info than what Blizz gives).

The point of doing m0s is to learn the mechanics. Then when you enter +2s you do those mechanics under a timer and an affix. To get into higher groups, you need experience, to get experience, you have to do lower keys. It’s a grind, but that’s part of the fun. If you get the hang of dungeons, in the lower levels you could skip mythic levels (if you get the hang of them by doing +5s, you could probably jump to 8s and 9s), but after 10+ people get stricter and stricter with experience.

2 Likes

Awesome, this definitely answered all the remaining questions I had. Yesterday I started working on my Necrolord campaign instead of the Ardenweald campaign, so it looks like I will start over on this one tonight so I can get into Korthia questing.

Thanks again!

1 Like

You are welcome, let me know if you have other questions.

1 Like

So I got access to Korthia almost immediately after starting the Ardenweald campaign. I could only do a few quests in Korthia because my ilvl is so low (at about 150). I didn’t see any vendors or anything, so does the majority of the gear end up coming as quest rewards?

It’s been a PITA trying to gear a fresh 60, especially for PvP. I don’t even see a point when I’ll be geared enough anytime soon to start PvPing.

Gear comes from grinding the currency there and from drops. I can see how that can be a little daunting.
I recommend you do your covenant campaign to get 197 gear, which is a fairly straightforward process. Save your gear pieces and upgrade them with anima. As you get geared start running dungeons for other slot gears.
Let me know how it works!

1 Like

Just wanna add that Korthia on a fresh 60 is a place where mobs wipe the floor with you. My fresh 60 SP died around 20 times in 2 hours but I managed to get 3 level 200+ pieces there. Korthia is more like a new chore for overgeated people for grow bored from doing same mythic keys and need a place to vent. Then again if I had melee or pet class it would have been easier.