Gathering professions shouldn't give Character EXP

i know this will not be a popular opinion.

but this just my personal thought, i think Blizzard should remove Character experience from gathering professions in the game.

gathering professions like:

• Herbalist
  • Miner
  • Skinner

why? because as it stand now raising your lvl just from questing and battling monsters alone is enough to reach lvl 60 without any problems.

leveling up in this game is way too easy and gathering materials for other professions just makes it even more easy.

professions like:

• Engineering
  • Blacksmith
  • Enchanting
  • Jewel Crafter
  • Cooking
  • Alchemy
  • Archaeology
  • Leather Work

should still give experience after all to lvl up this professions you need materials and getting those materials is already a good work out and fun to do depending on how you do it.

but Gathering Professions shouldn’t give experience, you lvl up so fast that it makes the game leveling experience boring and annoying.

as i said before, this is just my own personal opinion and i know a lot wouldn’t agree with me.

but even without heirlooms i can reach lv 60 with just questing and killing monsters no problem at all and pretty darn fast.

gathering professions don’t need to give experiences, it should still have it’s own experience bar so each time you lvl up your profession it allows you to gather more materials from 1 single sources.

example:

as a Herbalist if i gather Peace blooms from the start i should get 1 flower from 1 Peace bloom in the wilds.

however after leveling up my Herbalist Skill i should be able to gather 10 Flowers from 1 Peace bloom found in the wild.

that is how i believe experience should work for gathering professions, it shouldn’t ever give experience to the character it self.

Why? That there is part of exploration so the gathering professions should have exp.

25 Likes

This would just result in the cost of mats going up, especially early in expansions.

5 Likes

yes, but exploring and gathering are 2 different things.

i am not saying you shouldn’t get experience from exploring i am saying you shouldn’t get experience from gathering materials, materials can be found everywhere.

if this was like it was at the beginning that materials where harder to get sense you had to avoid other players from getting it the experience would work.

but as it stands now you can get materials to fast and easy.

By whose standard?

15 Likes

I dk about you at the start i don’t find running from mobs of critters boring or annoying (well ,maybe that). Yet ,exploration and herbling go hand in hand ,as for gathering being easy that there is easy by trading sgyga to get 20 or so herbs and get no exp at all. No running ,all boredom.

1 Like

Does OP want level 60s to be in Valley of Trials skinning boars while little level 1 Jimmy watches in horror?

9 Likes

alright. here’s a take. Character levels have been meaningless for a while with the only real point of it being to gate keep players from content.

ilvl is the thing that is the “real” level. account wide achievements could be the unlocks for gear brackets. so for any character to equip 160+gear one character need only complete the opening story arc of the expansion. new alts on the account can immediately equip max level gear (*if they have it/obtain it) without having to do the story campaign again.

a character boost becomes an expansion unlock, granting the account the achievement needed to unlock everything systems wise.

then finally we can enjoy gear ilvl being the number next to player icons instead of character level. no longer will we have to guess if the player is geared or just full of stamina buffs sitting in bear form

and we can finally get back to the 100% verse and 200% haste builds from corrupted power creep

They absolutely should. There should always be multiple ways to level to give people the option to play how they like. This is a horrible idea.

29 Likes

Hard Disagree here coming from an altoholic. You get bored doing the same quests. Its nice to level a character and still work toward something. In this case its making gold.

If you already have your server lw bs eng ench tl alch your alts shouldnt need to repeat those professions. They can basically go both gathering without worry since blizz designed professions where you want to stick with one toon with the soulbound crafting items.

There are many quests I dont want to do. And gathering professions lets me bridge the gap for exoerience.

You assume people like doing all the quests. I tend to just do the ones I enjoy and make my own leveling path. Queing for dungeons can also take a variable amount of time for dps. That would make people grind out killing mobs more if they dont like the quests.

7 Likes

You don’t level up fast because of professions though.

If we’re taking an average “leveling through question/exploration” playthrough, if the amount of experience gotten would be anything more than a rounding error, I’d be incredibly surprised.

This would be such a pointless QoL nerf that if I ever saw it on the patch notes, I’d be incredibly confused.

7 Likes

Skinning doesn’t give experience

6 Likes

The amount of exp it gives is so small I can’t belive you think this is a problem and made a whole post about it

15 Likes

Yep.

And mining and herbalism got nerf longed ago.

so…op is a bit early for Sunday,

even by new zealand time. which they probably aren’t a kiwi.

2 Likes

Maybe if we ever get a meaningful leveling system it would make sense. Right now we level so fast and that’s assuming you don’t straight up buy a level boost. If you have a problem with herbs and mining nodes giving experience then I bet you’re having a very hard time with level boosts?

2 Likes

I think you should keep your bad ideas to yourself.

6 Likes

Then how will that max level panda who hasn’t left the starting zone continue to be the max level third faction?

Well, you weren’t wrong here at least.

6 Likes

I believe having multiple options to get to max level is a good thing and they should add more avenues, not take some away.

11 Likes

Yeah definitely an unpopular opinion. Also a really odd complaint to have. No one forces a person to choose their professions. If you want to slow level then by all means just take crafting professions. Why complain about an option?

Personally I think the gathering professions should be secondary professions like fishing or cooking. I also miss the minor stat bonuses they used to give after you hit certain levels.

2 Likes