Gathering professions achievements in 10.1.7 are terrible

Regarding these … would be really nice if the Cata daily in ORG would ever switch to something other than Orgezonians in the Mood. There are other dailies, Blizz.

1 Like

You mean you don’t like cutting jagged jasper every day, lol?

1 Like

Well my poor Druid’s paws are all cut up now due to all the extra jaggedness.

2 Likes

The Engineer goggle patterns needed from Sunwell are a bit crappy as well.

Basically, that one achievement ‘costs’ 500k to multiple millions for the patterns unless you grind them yourself, but then its a real bad feeling not selling them. No matter which way you look at it, this 1 achievement ‘costs’ potentially millions of gold.

I know I’m a bit late to this thread, but this seems like a topic that deserves a post on the community council forums or in whatever other channels they give you community council players where there’s likely to be some decent chance of the relevant people at Blizzard seeing the feedback. I kind of doubt Blizzard ever looks at the achievement forum.

I’ve got a fair bit of feedback and hope you or any other achievement-minded folks on the community council have also got some feedback you’re sending Blizzard’s way. I do worry that when the next patch releases, they’re going to slip into ignoring this mass of achievements they stuck in.

Of course it’s good to have things be retroactive, and I’m glad the parts they provide retroactivity for are there, but in a bit of irony, this gave me a quick moment of demoralization because of how bad the Legion mining / herbing achievements are.

I played Legion extensively and had a single gatherer for each profession, all of whom were maxxed out on skill points. Other than infernal brimstone (which is awarded under slightly different circumstances than the other Rank 3’s), I didn’t have a SINGLE ore or herb at rank 3.

That was a bit of a blow. To know that I played that entire expansion and over the course of natural farming never got one of those Rank 3 drops. The commentary from other players who have spent time working on it recently is also demoralizing. Unlike most of the other achievements, this isn’t something where you can log on and make SOME progress at a somewhat consistent and reliable rate towards your next goal. You could log on, farm for hours and hours, and come away with absolutely nothing.

There are other things in the game like this (farming for rare mounts can easily net you nothing over the course of hours), but few quite as attention-requiring and afk-resistant as ore / herb gathering (if I farm low drop rate bosses, it involves a lot of afk travel time / RP that I can alt-tab for, whereas with gathering, I need to be monitoring the map and moving my guy at all times).

Usually Blizzard doesn’t re-visit drop rates, and I feel like there’s probably a small window of time for them to actually take a look at this and make any additional changes before they ignore things like Broken Isles mining / herbing for good.

But they really should revisit it now and if you or others can make some noise, I think it would be much better to get that noise in before they’re back to focusing on bigger topics with a new tier release.

The fix here should be easy for Blizzard. Up the drop rates for advancing the gathering profession ranks for Legion to match what they did in BFA. Those same gathering characters of mine had most of BFA mining / herbing Rank 3’s complete and none of Legion’s. They were played equally extensively in both expansions and had max skill points.

At the time, I remember thinking the same thing even without achievements existing. I remember playing BFA and thinking that they had “fixed” the harshness of their RNG for rank advancement in the gathering professions. With them having now added these Legion achievements, they should go back and up the Legion drop rates. BFA approach makes it easy to provide this feedback, because we can point to an example of what a reasonable fix is. It’s highly likely that BFA’s drop rates were selected specifically in reacting to feedback from Legion, so why not adjust Legion’s now that there’s an achievement for it?

Legion professions need a complete overhaul. Leveling the professions up is OVERLY difficult. I still think First Aid needs to return and no longer be a Tailoring profession. Archeology needs to be brought up to date with Shadowlands & Dragon Flight.

They also need to bring back the perks of having high levels of gathering professions just like they did in Wrath-MoP/WoD. If you’re too young to know what those were, high levels of mining increased your stamina, skinning increased your critical strike, and herbalism gave you an AOE that was a HOT as well. Easy way to make these non-abusive for the PVP kids is simply disable them. It’s not like they don’t do that as it is.

https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/859829265436557312 remember this gem they tweeted in 2017. i member.

1 Like

Hadn’t seen that. Annoying to know they recognized the feedback on the issue then moved on to other things and never fixed it.

I’d be ok with these if the rewards were reasonable, but they are worth just 5 points. If I complete all of the JC ones I should get the title the insane Jewelcrafter.

1 Like

Once the new patch drops, they’re going to be getting a lot more feedback on a lot of new things crowding out issues like this. It’d be nice to see them take notice of this little corner of the 10.1.7 stuff before reaching 10.2, but it’s looking less and less likely.

(post deleted by author)

I loved these new achievments, sure i had to redo some things i did in the past but it kept me busy for a few weeks im only missing 2 then im back on 100 % on professions i need serious chef (collect recipes) and broken isles skinning, need Humongris the world boss to spawn

Edit: I see you gone and made a thread about it in community council begging for them to nerf stuff. Plenty of people have gone back to broken islands and got all gathering achievments already, sure it took some time but its in no way shape or form broken. Either take the time and gather a few thousand herbs like we already did or dont . But by going and begging them to make it easier will just piss of alot of players that took the time and effort to get those achievments already.

There is no need of fixing to be had. Its an easy achievment compared to many others. Either get to work and do it or dont.

How would it be fair to those thousands of people that already did them the intended way with the original droprates? No either you can look at the droprates when implementing the achievments and adjust them but not after so many people started working on them and got them already

1 Like

I never asked for them to “nerf stuff” or to make it easier, or at least that wasn’t my intent, simply to ensure the current expectation is what it should be. I don’t think it’s bad to investigate ways to improve gameplay and I do appreciate your sentiments on recognition for what others have already gone through.

Could be that they fixed the mining/herb quest items but I went out of my way during the xpac and afterwards to gather resources for the broken isles mining quest items. It was way more than a few thousand and sure, it may have been rng but my gut after hearing from others on the forum is that it’s not as easy as some people believe.

If you’ve got rank 3 for all of your mining/herbing nodes by a few thousand herbs / killing crocs, good on you. For the rest of us that its frustrated, I don’t think it hurts to have a second look to actually ensure it’s working as intended if not already done. If it is, moot point. If it’s not, it would be a welcome change.

2 Likes

I had mined around 4000 total ores for all rank 3s and over 4000 foxflowers for rank 3 and i have heared of people with more but mostly less than that and as you can see those numbers are very similair from comments during the expansion. Nothing is broken they are just low droprate and allways has been. I would have liked a higher droprate for sure but that is something they should have fixed BEFORE everyone starts working on the achievments.

But i can understand why you start to doubt if something just wont drop. They can check to see if something is off wich i doubt because it was the same deal for people back then as you can clearly see in the comments.

I will give you an example of comments from wowhead for you. On Fjarnskaggl rank 3 from 2017
" It took FOREVER, but this finally dropped for me while herbing in Stormheim. I farmed up a runed journal page wich began the quest The missing page, I know that it is just bad RNG, but I farmed over 4k Fjarnskaggl before finally getting the 3rd star. Here’s wishing you better luck!"

And under it you have a comment from someone from 2023 after the achievments where implemented “maybe it has changed or i got lucky. Went back to get this with the added achieves…took me about 600 Fjarnskaggl for quest to drop”

If whoever wrote these comments sees this im sorry for using your comments as an example here

Blizzard was quoted near the end of Legion as saying they planned to take a look at improving the drops for ranks 2 and 3 of gathering profession items. This never happened. At minimum, they should meet the original commitment they made.

1 Like

Can i see that quote pls because it doesnt make sense why that would be something to bother with at the end of the expansion

I think it was this tweet that they are referencing. It was mentioned earlier in this thread.

link: https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/859829265436557312

2 Likes

Yeah this is the one. Guess it pre-dates the Argus patch so not quite near the “end” of Legion.

Impressive find, so then they had the chance to do it back then but didnt and they also had the chance to do it on the PTR when making these achievments but didnt or maybe they did who knows, but whats not ok is go on and change things when so many worked hard already to get it.

If you think this is just me who wants you to suffer because i did, its not like that its more about myself actually because if they go on and change it it will bring a very unpleasant feeling like a gut punch of having 24 hr+ wasted for nothing, that is what i want to avoid. We already had the researcher achievments nerf from 100 stones items/whatever from 100 to 50 i dedicated myself alot to get those and managed to get them within 2 weeks after patch release but somehow that is impossible for others.

Soon if they go on and tamper with droprates and nerfing stuff after they implement achievs you get to a point where you start to question wheter or not it is a good idea to even start working on certain achievments and it might be best to see how many will go and complain to blizzard for nerfs. Gotta be careful with this stuff.

Am i in the wrong for wanna start working on achievments immediatly and get to it?, would you recommend maybe i wait 2 months to see if we will have lots of people complaining they are to hard to make blizzard nerf them because that is starting to sound like the wisest thing to do. And they are called achievments for a reason, what are you achieving from strolling around highmountain herbing for an 1 hour and then you are done? Some achievments you gotta dedicate lots of time for its completly optional and nothing is broken

Most with these achievements are likely to have gotten the criteria done because their main was a gatherer during Legion and had reasons other than achievement hunting to be mining / gathering herbs the entire expansion. One of my friends got the herbalism one immediately when the patch went live because his main was an herbalist back then, and he farmed herbs for the traditional, economic reason of selling them.

It’s not good to let achievements (or other grinding rewards) go live for drop rates that terrible and let people put work into it. I agree with that. And there should always be caution at changing a drop rate when people have put time into it. But the idea that this has to lock them into the current drop rate has limits of reasonability too. At these drop rates, I’d say it exceeds it.

I can’t fault you for taking the position you’re taking. It is like a gutpunch, as you said, when they make changes like this for people who don’t benefit because they did it when it was much more tedious. I’ve been burned to a staggering degree by some things. Paragon chests from Legion was a big one. I can’t imagine how much time I put into grinding reputation for those chests to get each mount.

Then, at some point in Shadowlands, long after I had done the work, they massively buffed the drop rate (at least based on wowhead comments). On top of that, there was an indirect nerf in the form of the reputation bonus during Legion timewalking week, for which people can save up rep tokens.

What feels like countless hours down the drain because I worked on it in the expansion it was released for. But still, I think they made the right call. Sometimes the only noise that gets through to Blizzard is the feedback they get from people who put work into whatever they released and give negative feedback.

It’d be great if they had an ounce of foresight and didn’t need to see feedback to know that sub-1% drop rates usually turn out horrendous. Or if they monitored feedback in a timely fashion. Or if they followed through on looking at and updating things after saying they would do it.