Gathering and Crafting

Remove the gathering professions and add them in to the base crafting professions so that you would have more options to work with. If you choose leather working, you get skinning as part of it. If you choose Alchemy, you get Herbalism as part of it. For Blacksmithing or Engineering, you get mining as part of the base profession.

14 Likes

No thanks. Im a double gatherer.

You apparently did not play through Warlords of Draenor. When everyone could gather their own materials through the garrison. Material prices were so low as to be worthless.

It was the worst period of time in the crafting history of this game.

9 Likes

I’ve been playing since early 2005 so yes, I played through WoD. I also have several characters that are double gatherers, but it would be better if the gathering professions were shoehorned in to the crafting profession the materials are used for. You still can only take two professions, so would need others to do other things for you such as enchanting, potions, whatever for the professions you do not have. Those other players can then post the materials on the AH for you to buy before having one of them craft whatever for you.

2 Likes

Says who? Not any economist, thats for sure.

Material prices tanked during WoD…You seem to not want to address that. When material prices tank, so do the prices for finished crafted items.

Then you need to consider, if everyone can gather the materials they need for themselves…that means all of the people currently gathering will now pick up crafting professions which will add more crafters to the mix, further lowering the final price and profit margin for crafted goods to the point where nothing is worth anything.

You need to think things through.

3 Likes

So, all you are saying is that you wouldn’t want it because that means you don’t make as much gold. There are quite a few DIFFERENT crafting professions and a player can ONLY get two of them. That means there are still several others that they cannot get and therefore wouldn’t have the gathering skill needed to get the materials they need for what those players who choose those other professions chose as their money makers. You still need to buy materials from the AH. You can, in turn, sell excess materials and gear YOU craft on the AH as well. There is still need for said materials and crafted items for you to make gold with. If what you are worried about is the prices going down, that’s good as that means that more players can then buy your goods. What you lose in instant gratification from gouging prices for mats on the AH, you can make up for with NOT having to buy mats for your professions yourself or crafted gear that you can also make for yourself and any of your alts.

Im saying it would crash the crafting economy and be detrimental to the overall economy.

If you want to gather, sacrifice a crafting profession to be able to or log into another character and go gather. Its that simple. Allowing everyone to have gathering professions for free does nothing beneficial for the economy…at all…and actually hurts it.

Hell, look at the price of current tailoring legendaries vs leather, mail or plate. Tailoring sells for a pittance in comparison, because cloth doesnt require a gathering profession.

Its not only about profit, encouraging everyone to be a crafter instead of gathering, results in more crafted goods for sale on the market. More goods for sale means crafters start choking each other out for sales. There are a finite amount of buyers based upon server population. At some point crafters become forced to sell their wares to npc’s or stop crafting altogether once this point has been reached.

If you want crafting to be even more worthless than it is currently, keep pushing your poorly thought out agenda.

1 Like

I’d rather they keep them seperate. Right now it requires a choice. Do you want to be your own supplier of materials or do you want to source them in another way, be that another character or from another player.

It also allows those that just aren’t really into crafting to have a part in the overall economy and if the stats things stays true they have talked about it would give them the ability to be a master gather in two gathering professions while someone else may choose to concentrate on doing that with strictly crafting or splitting between crafting and a gathering profession.

Forcing players to make a choice isn’t always bad, especially in a case where player power is involved ( which was the major downfall of the " choice " with covenants ).

2 Likes

Most people wouldn’t want to put the time into gathering their own materials. It takes a lot of time to gather all the materials you need. I don’t think it would be any different, except maybe the people who do farm like crazy would start crafting. And that would make material prices skyrocket.

Every single person who plays this game already has access to every profession and all gathering professions. The only barrier is logging into the other character to do that activity. If you don’t have another character who can do that activity, that’s your choice at this point to not have access to that.

The only reason WOD prices dropped so much was becuase of how easily EVERYONE could access the herbs and ore. In less than 2 minutes you could collect enough ore and herbs to do everything you needed to do daily for a profession. That was because all those herbs were right there, in one spot, that you passed by every day. This wouldnt be the case if you had to stop your questing, or other activities to keep farming.

4 Likes

Sure, and thats why this wont work in any positive way. For example, your main character has double production professions and its a hassle to log on your alts that can gather…so you do it less. If you are queued for a dungeon, raid, party, pvp or its close to raid time…you dont even have the option to relog onto an alt.

While a main character that has gathering professions can gather while queued for parties, while waiting for joined groups to start, while questing and doing dailies, ect.

It totally comes down to how much easier it would become for the double production character main to procure materials in their downtime. Which results in all of the market crash Ive already explained.

There is not one single positive thing for the games economy to come from giving every player free gathering skills.

1 Like

The best solution for everyone is to not allow gathered materials to be sold on AH or traded/banked.

Sure…and that would have to apply to all crafted items as well.

Like, why did you even post that?

1 Like

To fix the economies and players and crush the botters. Double gather == botter.

I’m a double gatherer…

I dont bot.

so, you are 0 for 2.

2 Likes

I have several toons that are double gatherers and am in no way a botter. I report any suspected bots, but only if they appear to be botting, not because they are gathering.

1 Like

I got a simple solution for professions. Give the player all the professions. Many MMORPGS do that. ESO is one of them. It works great because I can still find my nitch in the game without stepping on anyone’s toes. I also do not become dependent upon the economy or anyone to craft items for me. Yet the market is always good. What I think Blizzard should also put in the game is a way to break items not disenchant items but to break items to get raw materials out of them like metal, leather, maybe jewels, etc. not saying making gold off of junk runs isnt all bad just id like to get some resources for crafting instead.

I agree with OP

Or even better, let we get ALL professions like every other MMORPG does, like FFXIV does for example, it’s perfect!

If you are asking for this then Blizzard might as well copy ESO professions and open every profession up to everyone and allow every player to also gather all materials in the game. I wouldn’t personally mind this as it would so help with cost with all my characters. Some enchants are just so overpriced it’s sad. Nevertheless, Blizzard has had the professions this way for so long that I doubt they will ever change the professions in a way that would allow them to fold gathering into professions or even allow us to pick up more professions.

I was wondering this myself, just made a undead hunter and got gathering both herb/mining and someone told me i should get mining/engineering. So i never had engineering before. I dont care about guns much, xbows is alright and i prefer bows over all three range weapon class. I havent fully check everything under engineering, cause some of it can find blueprints, etcs.

I will stick with both gathering for now, but i need time to think about grabbing engineering or perhap something else.

You can make bows and crossbows with Leatherworking. However, they didn’t make bows until BfA and crossbows until this expansion. You can also transmog a bow or crossbow over a gun if you wanted.

Engineering provides a lot more than guns though. And in this expansion, the crafted weapons really aren’t that useful at this stage. Engineering provides a lot of items that improve quality of life. Jeeves provides mobile bank access and can be dropped in dungeons and raids to allow people to repair gear and sell items picked up. MOLL-E is a mobile mailbox. There are wormhole generators for just about every expansion so you can teleport around. It has personal enchantments for the belt and cloak. The Goblin Glider enchant on the cloak allows for safe falling and even some maneuverability. The Nitro Boosts enchant increases move speed. For Hunters, Engineering the the profession that provides scopes, which tend to be the better enchants for ranged weapons. All of this is scratching the surface of what Engineering can provide.

2 Likes

I could see a version of this working if & only if you don’t remove the ability to specialize into the Mining/Herbalism/Skinning. When you choose your two professions those are what your character specializes in. If mining were included in blacksmithing it would, in my opinion, be limited to very basic & entry levels of ore/mining materials. Think laestrite ore. Anything beyond that feels like it would be a bad idea & one that I would not support.