Garithos still not acknowledged in WoW

He is second only to Arthas Menethil in terms of his impact on the narrative direction of the Eastern Kingdoms in Warcraft 3. His decisions were what led to the Horde becoming the dominant power north of the Thandol Span in Vanilla.

4 Likes

She can appear in the Tomb of Sargeras as a world quest target.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Tomb_of_Sargeras:_Lost_But_Not_Forgotten

1 Like

If there is a way for Darithos to be Garithos after being put through the buisiness in Revendreth… that could definitely be it.

Garithos is rarely, if ever brought up, because he was a tool. Literally. A plot tool to be specific.

A thimble has more depth than Garithos did, and its clear his entire existence was the bundling of a number of tropes of B-Plot villains with the explicit purpose of acting as a catalyst for actual characters to grow from, namely Kael’thas and Sylvanas.

I prefer to liken him to the Skull of Gul’dan, something else which almost never gets discussed in WoW, but had some significant effects on the plot all the same, ranging from the corruption of Felwood to the irreversible transformation of Illidan Stormrage. Both the Skull of Gul’dan and Garithos were nothing more than tools to facilitate the story and growth of actual characters.

Honestly, I was amazed that they ever even bothered trying to give even a little background about him.

Were Garithos present in the Shadowlands, where would he be and what would he be doing? How would he be relevant at all to the plot? I can only imagine he’d be in Revendreth, but what would the point of that be when Kael’thas is also there? Seems like it’d be counter-intuitive to Kael’thas’ process of atonement for Garithos to be brought up.

4 Likes

Perhaps, his presence in Revendreth could have been used for another part of the “Focus on renewal.” message. They could have had a storyline with Garithos as a Venthyr, and Kael’thas could have to forgive him.

Although, it’s possible Sylvanas and the Jailer dragged him to the Maw from wherever he got sent, perhaps Maldraxxus, out of spite.

His fate was probably not disimilar to Houndmaster Lockseye.

4 Likes

Personally I’d rather he had been confirmed to have been cast to the Maw for being unrepentant like Garrosh.

So you have Garrosh and Daelin, together killing the Painsmith, because both are self destructive racists.

But rather than have Garrosh end on a “cool” note, I would’ve had a third phase where we have to kill Garrosh and Daelin one last time. Maybe Horde version Daelin “eats” Garrosh and we kill Daelin, Alliance version Garrosh “eats” Daelin and we kill Garrosh.

Could’ve been an easy way to:

• Racism bad
  • Racism self destructive
  • Not give the German Fascist Allegory Character a “cool” ending you can relate to lmao
5 Likes

Garithos is only important in a meta sense. WE know who he is because we played WC3, but ultimately, he’s just some guy who happened to be in the right place to take control of the situation because everyone else was dead, and he died unceremoniously with pretty much no one who would notice or care to witness. Nobody mentions him in the modern day because nobody was probably bothering to document history down to the minutiae in the middle of the apocalypse.

He’s the equivalent of the secretary of education gaining presidential power because they just happened to be the only official outside the White House when the aliens nuked it. Hell, I imagine Kael’thas doesn’t even remember his name.

That sounds a little bit like Dragon Age II’s endings.

Unfortunately, the essence of Daelin’s soul was already harvested by Death Knights in Legion, though I think you meant to say Garithos. There could be a shade left with a little bit of his personality intact.

I’m pretty sure someone else had brought this up before but i believe his army also retook Dalaran. Which would later be used as a major stronghold against the Scourge in Northrend during WOTLK.

2 Likes

I’ve brought it up before but the first time I actually realized that he did that is from the Garithos copypasta

1 Like

Nah meant Daelin, like Grandblade said, Garithos is meh

He’s a salient example but a footnote ultimately. frankly I’m more surprised they haven’t attempted to whitewash him

1 Like

Well, if they really wanted to go back and “censor” Warcraft 3 Reforged’s story, they could at any time, but they haven’t. They removed one Dryad joke, though.

Edit: They could also try to retcon it, in-game, I guess.

2 Likes

You mean Soulrender Dormazain? Garrosh doesn’t show up in the Painsmith encounter.

Yeah that guy

It’s also possible that Darithos isn’t Garithos… but was given that name by the Venthyr to mock Kael’thas. They’d definitely know Kael’s history with Garithos.

2 Likes

But there’s nothing minor about his actions.

His personal actions are basically the reason two different races are in the Horde today. That’s a pretty huge deal in the longterm.

Especially since, without those two races, the Alliance would completely control the EKs.

The entire course of history was shaped by that dip****.

8 Likes

There is no such thing as infinite amounts of writing AND Coding time. Apparnatly they’ve chosen for his story to be simply DONE.

They don’t need infinite anything. If Garithos appeared in Revendreth, they could’ve put his sinstone somwhere, or had Kael’thas give a backstory.

2 Likes

I still question this.

For one thing, I have yet to see any source stating he was not under Dreadlord influence when he was trying to get Kael’thas and the Blood Elves killed.

For another, he didn’t actually betray the Forsaken. At the end of the battle to reclaim capital city, he was actually holding up his end of their agreement and allowing them to leave peacefully.

I still think its weird the Forsaken ended up in the Horde, but I never really considered the Alliance to be a place they’d end up either. I think they’d have been more appropriate either part of a third faction (The Illidari, cause I can easily see Illidan recruiting them), or being neutral and just focusing entirely on the Scourge.