Gaming Monitor

I use flat panel monitors for all gaming. I am trying to figure out if a curved gaming monitor is better or stick with flat. Never owned curved…

I see most gaming monitors now are curved… so for those of you that have these high end monitors for a while (more than 6 months) what is the honest experience? Is curved a good choice or does it have a dark side?

I reviewed a Acer Nitro XV340CK but one guy on Youtube says it has bad flicker any one used this monitor specifically for a significant time?

I don’t care about price. BEST is BEST so if I have to spend $$$ to get top notch that’s what I will do… this time around I going quality over budget. Obviously this means 1ms response, 144hz refresh (min) and will be running 1440 resolution.

I am doing a custom rig starting with this setup

Ryzen 5900X
RTX 3070

So for the purists out there that play WoW a lot and probably 2 or 3 monitors what do you use. Please include Brand, Model and SKU if possible

The selections I see top rated are:

Alienware AW3420DW
Gigabyte G34WQC
MSI Optix MPG341CQRV

Best in class.

I don’t want hypothetical I would like to see from actual users what YOU use currently for your games. Preferably 34" range but 27" to 34" is fine it could give me a good baseline.

Thanks for your input.

Had the AW3418DW (2018) for about a year before having to downsize. Ran it with the 1080ti and it was amazing for most games. FPS games like counter strike go and what not, was not as good compared to WoW/GTA5/ and exploration type games. Destiny 2 was good though.

Curved took a sec to get used to but once you get use to it its pretty nice to have. I usually have something tracking on the side of the monitor (friends list, email, etc) and I honestly didn’t know how nice that was until I swapped back to a regular flat screen. Before I could just glance over and can read it, not I have to move my head a bit (1st world problems, I know)
Highly recommend you do not watch movies unless you plan on sitting at your desk to watch it.

Major downside for me was something you poked at me for,
Reading. Not everything is nicely supported by windows magnification feature. Sometimes the application with said text is blurry or some websites has the font extremely tiny.

Not everything game is supported by ultrawide, so you get the blackbox around the resolution it does support.

People can knock alienware for overcharging but they were much better in comparison when I was at the store comparing the one I bought vs the Acer one.

Unfortunately don’t have the models you’re looking at.

Normally I’d be inclined to share my feedback on my experience, but not for you :slight_smile:

Considering you could had just not replied to this thread, That’s fine and dandy, I wouldn’t taken your feedback either if I was in OPs shoes.

1 Like

No offense, your technical feedback generally has little to no value based on your post history.

4K is noticeably better looking in WoW to me than 1440p. Do you care for image quality or frames more (guessing frames based on RTX)?

Oh he only posted that because he doesn’t like OP in general, because OP is an AMD pro user, but mostly what you say is also true :smiley:

I saw a AW3420DW at Microcenter visit and it wasn’t bad at all. I’m biased, I get to see content creation monitors and the image quality of those are usually higher than anything in the gaming market but get ready to pay $5K and up for those.

If I had to game on the AW3420DW I’d be ok with it. I won’t be able to visit the store now that I’m going back to my 2nd place (work tasks over, loved Microcenter while it lasted T.T).

I got hate from Griefs for running 1 Ryzen/VEGA workstation. 1080 TI, 980M, 960M all running Intel but the 1 AMD workstation was enough for him to go off on rants of ‘amd fanbois’.