Gameplay =/ Lore

I didn’t think this had to be said until I encountered a few players (on different occasions mind you) who took gameplay mechanics (quests and abilities) literally, and roleplayed as if this made sense… guys…

Sylvanas is not addressing you as Champion because you are one. She’s saying that because you’re meant to feel like you’re a part of the story, and, news flash: she says that to millions of other players, too. She even sends them on the exact same quests, even quoting the same lines. Every quest giver does this so that each player feels involved in a story where they will never be mentioned outside of that questline. If we WERE part of the story… do you think that one person could have taken down every evil that Azeroth has faced, and lived through it all? The answer is no. There’s no way your character can beat Illidan 1v1 atop Black Temple with ‘Maieve’s assistance’, dude. Don’t RP that because it’s delusional.

Gameplay is another thing… our characters are immensely powerful and have proven through quests that they’re capable of absurd feats, on par with the big name characters of WoW. This is, again, allowed for GAMEPLAY purposes. If you’re writing a character who is as capable as your character is in game… please consider how absurd their power would be.

Gameplay is NOT lore and should be treated separately. To mix the two creates for bad writing. /end rant

1 Like

I wish I could say I’m surprised they let you back on the forums but, well, it’s Blizzard.

Fun fact though, unless specifically argued by existing lore sources, some elements of gameplay are lore compliant and as such you can’t actually use the blanket statement except to exacerbate a non argument.

9 Likes

What supports this, exactly?

2 Likes

Source me a lore abiding example that any warrior couldn’t reflect a spell, be it with magic of his own or via physically reflecting it.

I’ll wait.

6 Likes

Bahahahaha :laughing:

3 Likes

I’ll find your source tonight, BRB. Prepare to have your mind blown that warriors are meant to be non-magical fighters who use physical weapons and have no real way of bouncing spells off of themselves. (Again, this is so the game is balanced.)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laughing:

5 Likes

Soldier on, Soljeron.

1 Like

Oh hey, the Forum clown is back in town.

Which imaginary ‘RP lore breakers’ is he hunting today?

11 Likes

Nice projection, bro.

3 Likes

I’ll wait for a source on this too.

5 Likes

snuggles back in comfy chair and lights his pipe

1 Like

Taking bets on how long it takes for him to get suspended this time

11 Likes

There are also NPCs and mobs that use spell reflect and other, similar abilities despite being non-players and thus in no need of so-called balance.

FIRST.

Gameplay sadface Lore? It’s Gameplay != Lore if that’s what you’re going toward.

SECOND.

I miss Cannibal.

Aug 22, 2015 (Edited)5

“I am a Warrior. I do not have to rely on faulty magic or the hope that some unseen being comes to my aid. I only rely on my own strength; and my own strength has crushed dozens stronger than you.”

–Cannibal

4 Likes

Clearly the NPCs are terribad RPers, go harass them to set this travesty right

9 Likes

Perseus invented Spell Reflect back in beta.

He’s back! The great ruler of all RP and member of the best RP guild (who’s name must not be spoken) is back!

He is here to tell us that we do exist and should only RP as farmers or common soldiers.

6 Likes

Painters and vintners were apparently okay as well.

1 Like

This guy keeps attacking low levels players flagged for warmode on MG in SW. Then when a bunch of Alliance players come in he logs.

OP is a coward.

6 Likes