Game still trying to download

Ever since maintenance yesterday (9/22), the game keeps trying to download data while playing.

There is no download progress bar on the Battle.net app for WoW, and both the Windows memory diagnostic tool for RAM and SSD disk scanning came up with no errors on either one. Even after running the repair tool and hard reinstall have not fixed the problem. Other than leaving the launcher open all night, I’m out of ideas for a solution.

Anyone else having a similar issue? Again, wasn’t happening prior to maintenance this week.

1 Like

Damn. Same thing happened to me again…
Stuck settings in the app.

You can try this Raarsi ,

1 Click the blue icon on the far right from the downloader, click Settings.
2 Scroll to bottom of page and change any of the values to “0” kb/s, remembering the previous setting.
3 Click Done to save changes.
4 Inspect that the background download is running…
5 Go back into settings and change the value to what it was before.

Same, also had odd lag spikes I’ve never had before and high server ping.

1 Like

Same, also had odd lag spikes I’ve never had before and high server ping.

Possibly the background updater is also downloading whilst you are playing.
The pause updates when I launch a game should always be checked.

I would do that if those values weren’t already set at 0 long before this issue came up. Also there was no download bar, meaning that game data should already be in place.

At this point, between my issue and the lag, I’m starting to think the download and maintenance that Blizzard pushed this week had corrupted data baked into it or something along those lines, which would explain why the repair tool nor a clean reinstallation work against it.

2 Likes

No updates on my launcher anywhere. Just started to lag and the downloading important items in game right after maintenance. Reinstalled twice no help at all and just let the game sit there for a while which also never helps. Also changed values like you said didn’t do anything either…

I’m having the same issue, a download spinner in game even though the battle net app says it is up to date. Tried multiple scan and repairs, removed all downloads and cleared wtf folder.

Finally totally uninstalled and reinstalled and the problem is back after a day of seeming ok (though I only was on a short while to check, not to actually play yesterday).

The game is stutter lagging terribly and I’m guessing the constant downloading has something to do with it. I’ve checked, my internet connection is fine, my computer is running perfectly and I’ve restarted both the computer and router to clear any issues there.

Not only is there no update available according to the battle net app, I’ve also double checked that pausing downloads while playing is checked so it shouldn’t be doing this at all. :frowning:

This started happening after Tuesday’s maintenance.

I’m on a Mac but I’m guessing it’s not just a Mac issue if you’re posting here?

1 Like

I’m on PC. Forgot WoW on Mac was a thing, but at least we can rule out OS errors as a possible factor.

I’m having this same issue, started sometime last week, Horrible loading screens, game beach balls randomly (I am on a Mac), in game it is almost always saying game in downloading important data. in battle.net app, everything is up to date. but in game is horrible I have tried everything from https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/8280 but nothing has changed. I am on an iMac running macOS 10.14.6. game was running completely fine couple weeks ago.

I’m on PC. Forgot WoW on Mac was a thing

Heh, it often feels as if game creators also forget games on a Mac are a thing. :wink: But yes, does look like it’s pretty wide spread and not limited to any particular OS which hopefully means a fix can be found more quickly.

Been following the thread here as well about it now.

Ozfac, I’m on the same OS version, on a MacBook Pro and was running fine till maintenance this week. Haven’t seen mine beachball yet, but WoW is running incredibly slowly, overheating the Mac, and the lag is making it totally unplayable most times.

Oddly though, the past hour or so was lag free so now I’m wondering if there are separate issues.

Partially. The game constantly trying to redownload stuff as you’re playing could cause lag depending on what you’re doing. What makes it worse is that this could be really bad for people who are running on limited internet data plans.

I’m getting more and more convinced that the issue is data-based, which means only Blizzard coders can fix it.