Game freezes randomly

I can be doing anything in game and randomly it will freeze. If i don’t force crash it and wait like 5 minutes, it will unfreeze and work fine. I’ve repaired game files and shut off unnecessary programs, turned off all addons, and have done a hdd and memory test.

My other games do not freeze at all. All my drivers are up to date. IIRC this didn’t start happening until bnet updated.

1 Like

Turning off addons doesn’t do much other than make them not load visually. You want to rename those folders so the game can’t access the files.

1 Like

Does it happen randomly? Or when some characters appear on your screen? I had that problem with 2 hunters abilities. After couple of weeks of testing I figured out which one and found the solution by other players to force DirectX11 instead of DirectX11Legacy. 5 seconds job solved all issues.

1 Like

It truely happens randomly, and then only once. When WoW freezes, the screen turns white like its going to crash and i have the option to force close or wait. If I wait for 7 minutes, the game will pick back up and no longer crash.

Hey there Grimblack,

If you haven’t already, be sure to try these steps (including the Advanced Troubleshooting) to rule out a number of common issues. If you have no luck with those steps, let’s go ahead and have you post a ‘DxDiag’ so we can further investigate the problem. Here are the instructions:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
  5. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the DXDiag. It’ll look like this:
DXDiag goes here

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

https://pastebin.com/xyQhdGTQ

Nah, doesn’t overheat whatsoever. WoW is on the SSD, G is just a storage drive.

1 Like

Grimblack - Thank you for posting that DxDiag! While I do see that Windows is logging the WoW freezes/hangs, there isn’t much to see in terms of red flags.

In this situation, it may be best to have you contact Support directly by submitting a ticket so that we can collect additional diagnostics such as the MSInfo file, which we can’t collect here on the forums due to privacy concerns.

In the meantime, there are a couple of additional steps that I’d recommend to see if there’s any impact on the severity or frequency of the freezes. First, reset your in-game options to resolve potential problems related to your specific settings.

If there’s no impact, try re-installing your video drivers using the DDU tool.

Here is the guide on using the DDU software.

Here is the link to the latest driver for your GTX 1070 Ti.

Hopefully, you find smooth performance upon re-installing the Nvidia driver. If not, we may be able to find additional clues in an MSInfo file, so I encourage submitting a support ticket to continue troubleshooting.

Just want to add I am having this happen to me starting yesterday. I run two accounts open at the same time and it is only happening to one of them

1 Like

I used the DDU tool in safe mode, then reinstalled the video drivers. It’s been an hour and no freezing yet. Will update as time goes on.

2 Likes

Yep, was going to comment that myself and a few others have found uninstalling graphics drivers using DDU to be an effective solution so far. Here is the thread of our experience: Extreme freezing and performance issues in Sepulcher - #25 by Lifehymn-thrall

A common point that I’m seeing from everyone that’s posted DxDiag files so far is that we’re all using Geforce GTX 1070 cards. So, if you have a 1070 and run into this issue, definitely try using DDU and reinstalling the drivers and see if that helps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.