Game crashing my pc in combat after new patch

Game either crashes my pc (black screen and freeze for a couple of seconds) after being in combat randomly or crashes my computer entirely
tried reinstalling AMD drivers (upgrading and downgrading) moving my card (6700xt) to another slot in my pc
fixing and reinstalling wow

weirdest part is if im in a party with my partner they also freeze in combat at the same time as me. only if we are in a party together though does that happen to them, it happens to me regardless of whether im in a party or not.

Happens in any zone or in any instance. caverns, dungeons, plains etc.

Please help this is currently so unplayable.

Mine also, really frustrating especially playing hard core. Help Blizzard!!!

1 Like

I have the same problem. Here’s what I have found out so far:

• The crashes are not random, they happen with certain spells or bosses. 1 reproduceable area seems to be Timewalking - halls of lightning the 3 boss and certain Monk spells.
  • This seems to be an issue with AMD graphics cards. I do not know if this is a problem with the driver or with Blizzard.
  • A temporary fix so far seems to be to switch to using directx 11 instead of directx 12. I have not had time to fully test this temporary fix.

I thought they were random but you’re onto something here.
Ever since patch day, it had happened maybe ~3 times total. It seemed to be once every time I booted up WoW, and once it happened it wouldn’t happen again. I asked around whenever I was in a dungeon and between “No you should disable addons / update addons / update drivers” and “I think it’s Discord, something like that happened to me”
I didn’t get clear answers.

Just now before looking for this thread, it happened to me four times back to back. Second boss of halls of lightning - the boss died before I could get a cast in due to the freeze. Those cyclone mobs before the 3rd boss triggered it, too, and then the boss itself triggered it twice (and again I couldn’t get a cast off.)

I had to leave the dungeon, it was unbearable. On a minor note, the anxiety thinking something in my PC is busted is making me not want to play WoW, but I switched to DirectX 11 and will see if it’s still a thing.

Same issues running a Radeon 6900XT

The screen will go either grey or black and it will freeze for like 3 seconds until it comes back. Its not random. I noticed it happens when i first use an ability i havent used in a while or on some time walking bosses. I changed some graphics settings around in game and it didnt help.

Direct X 11 has it’s quirks. Whenever I move my camera around too quickly it dips FPS, especially in places like Valdrakken.

In dungeons however, it felt smoother in general - I did both the Nexus and Halls of Lightning with 0 issues, stutters or FPS drops. It also did not blackscreen nor crash.

I’m running a Radeon RX 6600. It might be an AMD-related issue?

1 Like

I’m running Ryzen 5600x with 3060ti, so AMD cpu and NVIDIA gpu.
I crashed my first 4 instances in 10.1. Sometimes it was just a game crash, sometimes it blue screened my whole computer.
Then I got a CAS system error and wow wouldn’t even boot. I went through the steps of unclicking read-only for wow folders, running game on admin, adding secondary logon in my system, repairing and reinstalling wow, uninstally all my addons …

its been infuriating. I got wow running again, but it is seriously overheating my computer. To the point were it averages over 70c both GPU and CPU when I’m logged in. This coming from averages of low 40c’s right before 10.1

I have no clue what to do except try and quit wow at this point because I’ve tried everything.
I even got more ram, overnighted, so I’m at 32mb ram now … no difference. I’ve cleaned my cpu cooler and gpu … they are all new since last year. I reset my bios settings too …

pretty much everything I can think of I’ve tried. I have a friend who’s a computer expert helping me as well digging into system crash logs and running performance and diagnostics, and we’re both baffled.

I highly recommend at the very least to put WoW in DirectX 11.
It helped my game become stable (in that it doesn’t black screen and go wonky anymore), but it doesn’t feel smooth in the FPS department.
Can’t complain when the game works, though.

My cpu is also a Ryzen, could be related to that?

Just did seething shore. Mined two nodes, got into combat several times, started mining another node… game froze. Completely unresponsive. I was listening to a video while this happened and the audio kept going - but nothing else did. CTRL+ALT+DEL didn’t do anything, ALT+TAB didn’t do anything… frozen solid. Had to hard-restart my PC.

1 Like

Same for me with an RX6800XT and Ryzen 5 5600 .

• Froze and Windows return in The Nexus when Grand Magus Telestra splits into 3 mirror images.
  • Crash in Halls of Lightning seconds after Ionar disperse into Sparks.
  • Froze and Windows return on Shrine of the Storm when Aqu’sirr splits into three.
  • Froze and Windows return after taking the portal to Torghast in The Maw.

It might be related to the splitting element according to my experience or it might be a coincidence.

Changing to DX11 does the trick but it lowers my average FPS.

So we’ve narrowed it down to DirectX 12, running a Ryzen CPU (possible GPU as well), and certain in-game spell effects.

The game is largely playable for me as is currently, but I don’t dare do another BG.

Hoping there’ll be some update on it from Blizz soon.

Same issue here in RSS. Every round im stuttering or crashing with this videocard.

Update: As of last night (28-5-2023) I updated my AMD drivers once again, switched back to directx12 and have not had any freezes, crashes or anything else funky happening.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.