Future Race/Class Combos

In an interview, Ion has confirmed the only new race/class combos coming in the War Within are for Dracthyr. I for one am happy about this. It means Blizzard is taking time to consider what it means for more races to be Druids, Shamans and Paladins. Not saying it will never happen, but they want to make sure it makes sense.

Beyond that, the last few classes we haven’t really gone broad with, there are some thematic and narrative challenges with. There are some races, for example, it’s very hard to imagine being druids. I don’t know what a goblin druid or mechagnome druid would look like in Azeroth culturally, in terms of their traditional background and what the Druids of the Grove and Cenarion circle typically value and welcome in. I would never say never, but I don’t think we have any immediate plans for further expansion like we’ve seen over the course of Dragonflight, beyond drachtyr.

Dracthyr Class Restrictions to be Removed in The War Within Interview Excerpt - Wowhead News

2 Likes

Well, that’s not what he said. His words were “no immediate plans”.

TWW will be at least a year long, probably a year and a half. New plans can happen.

I’m not personally a big fan of opening up all class/race options, but one should be honest with how one interprets others’ words.

On the one hand: I want them to keep lore continuity and avoid combos that shouldn’t ever be a thing.

On the other hand: LFD and Maghar warlocks exist, so they obviously don’t give 2 flying craps about lore continuity.

Is the part everyone ignores. It’s mostly a “I can’t do it so I want it” attitude. Like a kid that cries about getting a specific toy to xmas and plays with it for an hour before ignoring it and moving on.

1 Like

Neither of those break lore continuity.

1 Like

I hope racials become even stronger and have a larger impact in gameplay as WoW shifts towards all/all.

I know they won’t. But I wish it would happen.

5 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see how they rework the Dracthyr racials, assuming that they do.

1 Like

I will be surprised if they care about how strong those are going to be once opened up.

1 Like

I don’t know if they’ll care, but the playerbase will for sure.

1 Like

maybe they could put tail swipe and wing buffet on a shared cooldown?

I got all excited about this and then gnomes got absolutely nothing … now I will not get excited and if it happens, it happens.

3 Likes

Gnomes really should have received Paladins in Cataclysm.

3 Likes

I’m really fine with what we have. I’d actually be for more restrictions like it was in the past. But if I did want a new race/class combo I’d say orc Druid.

Even Pandaren Druid, I think they should of been druids in the first place lol.

To be completely honest, the only ones I think we’re missing that make sense are Gnome Paladins and Pandaren Druids. The rest just feel like abominations to me xD

I always said that as far as class that are based on learnable skills, any race should be open to it.

Restricting demon hunter, DK and evokers make sense.

Of the other classes, the only ones that arent for every race are paladin, shaman and druid, and those 3 have a sorta almost religious aspect to them, but then again, priest alsp has that and is for every race. So I’m fine with them being unlocked, but i would not lose my mind over it not happening.

Really all I need is Pandaren Paladin and Druids and I’ll be happy.

I just hope the new lore to establish these new races with paladins, shamans, and Druids is unique to each race. Not a blanket lore statement that gives all the new combos the same lore, forms, Mount, totems, etc.

1 Like

I think a shaman and paladin patch will happen.

Druids might be relegated to semi hero class status.