Future of Tirisfal

Ya know what? Allow me to OD on hopium for a sec here and lay out my ideal rebuilt Tirisfal.

Now I’ve written before about how much I adore Tirisfal. It’s very comfy to me and I could navigate it blindfolded better than I could my own hometown. But that’s not to say I can’t picture some improvements to it.

Notably I’d make the Forsaken’s control of the area a bit more concrete. The Forsaken really only control Deathknell, Brill, the Calston Estate and the Bulwark. And of those Calston’s crib is just one guy’s house and the Bulwark was just a pile of random BS until it graduated into like, two towers and an actual proper gate.

Otherwise the other areas in the region; Coldhearth Manor, the Salliden Farmstead, Garren’s Haunt, Agamand Mills, etc. are controlled by either Scarlet or Scourge remnants. And in a pre Dazar’Alor/Boralus WoW I just accepted that as a necessary evil. Obviously you need the enemy to occupy so much so there’s quests to do. But now that I’ve seen them seamlessly blend a city with questing content I don’t believe that must still be the case.

The first thing I’d do is establish a proper Forsaken dock. The most natural place to put one would be north of Brightwater Lake and Garren’s Haunt. That’s already a natural beach and is only occupied by Vilefin Murlocs so, not sure why it wasn’t already in use. I actually think you could do something cute here and have Sparkle - the emotional support murloc you deliver to Sedrick Calston - having brokered a peace deal with the local Vilefin. Give Sparkle the Captain Cookie model replete with the pirate hat and have him operate a small dingy called the Vilefin Vengance that displays the Forsaken’s banners.

Have a bit of dialogue from Tattersail or another Forsaken naval officer to the effect of;

Well it was certainly easier than fighting them, and they’ve been a ferocious coast guard, but we’re having trouble teaching them what constitutes a friend. Boarded a merchant vessel coming out from Sunsail Anchorage. Received quite the frothy correspondence about how they’ll never be able to scrub the smell of fish off the wood

Additionally I’d have Derek Proudmoore, Captain Stone, and the aforementioned Admiral Tattersail posted up there along with the Forsaken’s three ship models docked. Because it’d be nice to hang out on their dreadnoughts without having them smashed to bits in the next scene for once.

Additionally I’d put the new zeppelin tower there as well as the Blackwater Raider vessel the Harbinger there. Both to be used as a connecting ship to a new or preexisting neutral harbor and to have Goutgut and Lolo reunite. Seriously it’s so god damn adorable to me an abomination wandered around Arathi failing to make friends until he wandered up to the Ogre Lolo, who’s employed as muscle by the pirates, who regards Goutgut as a strange smelling if perfectly nice ogre. Seriously Goutgut dutifully returns to his post but sends you out to go say hi to Lolo for him. It’s so cute. Give them both puppies or paper boats they race or something it’d be delightful.

That’s all I’ve for now as this post is getting too long as is but I’ll be popping by to update it with more ideas.

18 Likes

I freakin love this!

You should be a developer, these are wonderful little details that would fit perfectly in game.

9 Likes

My favorite thing in BFA was a small little, easily overlooked detail.

It was the Unshackled hanging out in Bladefist Bay. I didn’t even know they were there. I was just zooming around Durotar bored while waiting for my que to pop and I was so completely delighted to see them.

We’d had these guys stapled to our legs for the duration of 8.2 and then they seemed to fall off the face of the Earth. None of them even have Vactor work, just a fun little text about how they moved their people to the coast of east Kalimdor and they’re all doing great and thank you so much from freeing us from that witch Azshara.

That’s all you really need. Blizz invested so much in phasing and in game cutscenes but just having NPCs turn up here and there to go;

Hey just so ya know everything worked out and we’re all just vibing and doing great!

Is the only thing we want. It takes that little of effort. Just some evidence that the story we partook on had an effect and the characters we worked with have a life outside of standing unstuck in time with an exclamation mark over their heads.

9 Likes

I’m going to do my usual “Well Ackshually.” There is no murloc called Sparkle. There are two different Murlocs from that quest, Sparky if you bring Sedrick a Vile Fin Minor Oracle, and Speckle, if you choose to bring him a Vile Fin Puddlejumper.

4 Likes

Eh we just portmanteau them into Sparkle. Easy enough.

2 Likes

I think Sparkle the emotional support murloc should exist.

My kids an I have an emotional support Ikea shark named Gary we share, I’m glad I’m not the only one who needs an emotional support murloc.

3 Likes

Sparkle’s their baby.

6 Likes

I am in support of all Murloc content.

1 Like

This would be a great idea. If they ever re-do Tirisfal proper, it’d be an absolute oversight of magnificent proportions to not give them a harbor of some kind. Adding murlocs to the mix would also be so fitting of the rag-tag races that make up the Forsaken and would definitely add to that goofy horror theme that is pretty signature for them. Blizzard take notes!

6 Likes

I want more abomination stuff. Because theyre just big pugs.

Your introduction to them in Classic Tirisfal was inspirid. Because Gordo would have his typical slow patrol route but sprint off to snatch up gloom weed then sprint back. So mine and many other players first introduction to them was seeing these monstrosities charge at them then ask if they could help pick flowers. Because the Apothecary is already mad and they don’t wanna walk up to them again.

By the by the implication RAS members smacked around these big fat babies who just wanted to help 200% made me hate them harder than the Wrathgate did.

Actual reaction to me seeing abominations who were scared of Apothecaries;

4 Likes

Tirisfal is the land that keeps on giving. As often as it gets wrecked, it still keeps on going. There is a lot of potential and many directions it can go.

The reoccupied topside of the Capital is an interesting opportunity to explore a more recognizable Forsaken society. A Zombietown with height and sky and elements… they can go full spooky city from the ground up. And they could still make use of the lower portions for anything - from a quest hub, to a dungeon, or even a raid.

A proper port is something the Horde in general is lacking. Saurfang lamented the impracticality of Bladefist Bay and the difficulty of defending it. I liked that the Forsaken were noted for their naval power, and that is something that can help keep the Horde navies distinct from the Alliance.

As far as hostilities, we have the Scarlets and the Scourge. As far as the Alliance… I always thought the notion of Dogs going after bones as the bones are fighting back kind of funny. So I would like some tension between Gilneas and Lordaeron. Maybe not the full blown hatred and mutual destruction, but some sort of tension. Both would prosper if they could get along, and it looks like Calia and Genn could make it work - so something has to come between them.

I think that would be a good way to set up some Alliance villain batting. If Turalyon and some more aggressive Gilneans pushed for incursions launched from Gilneas, and Genn was against it because he finally wants a chance for peace and for the two kingdoms to rebuild.

Like Genn straight up says: “they withdrew their forces from my city and promised peace.” But Turalyon and some militant Gilneans totally side line Genn, and they rebuild the Greymane Wall as a new Alliance Garrison - giving Genn fears about whether this new wall was meant to protect Gilneas from the Horde - or contain it within the Alliance.

“You help us and we not hurt you” are the actual parameters of Gordo’s Task.

I don’t know how many levels of irony you’re on, but the game has enough cutesy crap as it is. Props for nailing modern Blizzard’s headspace, but none of this is rooted in anything else.

Another perfect living example of the modern Blizzard mindset, we have gone from selling this premise as “zombies vs werewolves” to “dogs and bones haha.”

The same quest cluster that has us beat into submission and rip from his tribe an “emotional support” murloc has us go about Planting the Seeds of Fear. The peace to be had with the Vile Fin now twelve years later would be that of fearful docile slaves, and otherwise they would kill us.

Murlocs are sentient. That quest is messed up. And not the good kind of messed up. Not in the “Hell Yeah Blood and Gore Forsaken” messed up. But messed up in that you don’t think about the implications of it till later on.

Speak for yourself. The Vile Fin are not cuddly plushies. They were created in 2004.

HELL YEAH BLOOD AND GORE FORSAKEN

HELL YEAH SASHIMI AND FROG LEGS FORSAKEN

I will gladly however welcome as an ally Captain Cookie (NOT a Vile Fin) for his noted roles in the repeated attempted demolition of populated Stormwind City.

This is what I’m talking about building and rebuilding some or even all of the faction cities into whole leveling or at least questing zones. There’s so much potential to actually make every nation into something nuanced if you include the different voices of each race’s fandom. Like the Desolate Council representing different aspects of the Forsaken fanbase. You don’t need to give every race a council, but that representation can come from the cities themselves and the quests you can partake in them.

Give Tirisfal an Alienage for the Darkfallen. I kid

This seems like a massive undertaking for Blizzard to add to an expansion, and making an expansion that is only about this would be a massive risk, but I would welcome it.

3 Likes

Darkfallen can hang out in Silvermoon. If they’re going to add content to the Forsaken capital, it should be Forsaken content. There wasn’t any point in getting rid of Sylvanas except to neuter us otherwise. Likewise, Acherus can have Koltira, and Kul Tiras can have Derek if there’s really no reason for our nations to war.

Sadly he was double-killed off in Maldraxxus. Though he lives on in Hearthstone.