"fury"tanks

Ya. Thats the problem when you have unimaginative devs. Instead of fixing the issue, you just double down and create more problems.

They’re better.

They don’t. This is nonsense.

Don’t mistake Fury/Prot for dual-wielding. You don’t necessarily have to dual wield as Fury/Prot; it is merely an optional TPS/DPS increase for when mitigation is unnecessary.

To answer your question, though, no, no one cares that healers have to heal more, because the fights last 30 seconds.

Incorrect. For the majority of vanilla, Shield Slam was hot garbage and Fury tanks were actually the norm. They did not dual wield, mind you, but Fury was definitely the go-to spec.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not really nearly much of an issue for alliance due to blessing of salvation cutting dps threat.

Fury prot just isn’t necessary on most groups ally side. Isn’t stopping it from being overused, and undergeared tanks doing things like dual wield “tanking” hakkar. I find fury prot tanks much, much more likely to just be bad tanks than the full prot ones.

To fury prots: please put on a shield when tanking things that hit hard.

2 Likes

Maybe don’t group with bad players? Fury tanks are superior

1 Like

-laughs in warrior call-+shadowflame-

So much this. I run deep prot and I really only lose aggro when I get unlucky with misses and parries on my sunder.

Thing is, the prot tree is kinda weird. while the fury and arms tree CLEARLY offer dps, Prot doesn’t obviously give you mitigation or threat aside from shield slam, deeper than the defiance and shield block talents at least.

What is DOES give you is better Oh Crap buttons. Taunt is up more often, concussion blow is effective snap cc, imp sunder can pile sunders quicker, shield slam is snap threat that doesn’t rely on taunt, shield wall lasts longer to let people recover.

In short, a fury tank is for an extremely consistent, well run guild that doesn’t mess up and pushes numbers to the max. Deep prot is for basically everyone else.

/personally, I think most raids could benefit from at least one tank of each type, but that’s just me.

4 Likes

I will think it is hilarious when TBC comes out, druids and pali’s get buffed and Fury tanks will be nerfed. Oh the salty salty tears.

2 Likes

Why will there be tears? People will just play what is the most optimal. No one has an attachment to the “spec” they just want to perform the role at the best it can. And in TBC tanks will just swap to whatever the optimal spec for that expansion.

7 Likes

eh, as a warrior in TBC you can stack expertise and nobody will pull threat from you unless you’re bad.

Also, devastate will be in its most effective form.

1 Like

Healers are over all the best players it’s mainly to help the dps don’t know how to control threat. Light blessings to all healers taking care or the derps of the game tanks and dps we do God’s work.

I don’t know enough alliance side to know whether this is true. I assume DPS warriors are still a thing alliance side, though I am guessing they are less effective due to lack of WF totem.

You barely take more damage if you are shield swapping appropriately. It’s more about controlling your damage intake where needed, but keeping the mobs on the tank is still infinitely more important in these phases, since melee DPS is typically wearing lighter armor.

Yeah, you potentially take a lot less damage while wearing a shield at all times, but your threat takes a nose dive. Deep/Full Protection is decently capable, but in raids the OTs push more threat as Fury/Prot, since they’ll be rage starved as Deep Prot.

Why look forward to people being upset?

And I don’t know anyone who identifies as a fury tank. They just tank. And whatever is the most optimal option is how they do it.

4 Likes

Healing is the easiest role

We lose windfury but gain blessing of salvation, a free 15% threat reduction. Fury warriors can often go full faceroll, and still only rip threat when the tank is either undergeared, incompetent, or on rare occasion just unlucky.

The only real concern in my experience is vael, where some people must be reminded that fury warriors spamming HS can still rip threat if they aren’t careful. a few cleaves woven in, or just using a 2h slam spam for the first 3rd of the fight, puts a big enough cushion to counter that.

1 Like

Napkin math says without threat adds from HS/Shieldslam/Sunder, a tank on horde side needs to do 1/2 the dps of his warriors to hold, and one on alliance side has to do 1/3

1 Like

Thanks for the responses Provengreil and Mayatau. I like learning new things and today was a good day for that :smiley:

1 Like

Why not both?

1 Like

I’ll put this as simply as I can

raid bosses generally don’t hit hard enough, even with a crit, that they can oneshot dual-wielding fury tanks in leather that are loaded up with consumables and world buffs, such as flask of the titans and mol’dar’s moxie, and if the boss does hit that hard, then the tank can either swap to plate armor, slap a shield on, or both
you do not need a shield to tank patchwerk, and yes, I am referring to the abomination boss that hits extremely hard in naxxramas
healers, should they have the mana for it, will always be capable of increasing the tank’s hp from 1 to 100% every 0.1 seconds, and they will always have the mana for it
and if you don’t, then you can just replace dps with healers

so, if the tank does more damage, the tank generates more threat
if the tank generates more threat, the dps can afford to hit harder without pulling aggro
if the dps can afford to hit harder without pulling aggro, then they’ll deal more dps
if they deal more dps, the boss dies faster
if the boss dies faster, the healers can afford to use higher rank heals
if the healers can afford to use higher rank heals, they’ll be able to keep squishier people alive, such as the fury tank wearing leather without a shield

furthermore

if there aren’t enough healers to keep a fury tank alive(for some farfetched reason), then just replace a dps with a healer; it doesn’t matter how many dps you replace with healers

if there are more healers, then the tank can afford to forego more defense for offense
if the tank has more offense, the tank will have more threat
if the tank has more threat, then the remaining dps will be able to afford to do more dps
if the remaining dps do more dps, then that will offset the dps lost by trading 1 dps for 1 healer

raids were not designed around world buffs

TL;DR literally the only thing that matters concerning damage mitigation as a tank is can you get one shotted from full hp by a crit yes or no
there is absolutely nothing else that matters, not fire resistance on ragnaros, not nature resistance on princess hururan, not frost resistance on sapphiron, and not even armor vs. patchwerk unless your healers aren’t good enough to keep you alive