Frost wands not freezing Viscidus

… literally no one brought up parsing but you. Using frost wands to achieve the freeze phase was part of the vanilla mechanics for casters without frost spells. If you take too long to freeze the boss, you be overwhelmed by poison damage. I don’t think you understand how this fight works.

1 Like

rub it in horde…

and will suffer massive pushback

We thought so back then but no one was actually 100% on that.

Frost wands may not have actually been doing frost damage, that is part of the mystery that’s Vanilla WoW.

We ASSUMED back in Vanilla that Frost wands and certain melee weapons like the ice hacker off Raz did actual frost damage but those melee weapons do not, instead they were actually doing mechanical damage like a standard melee attack, but the attack ignored armor. Its very possible the frost damage on a frost wand is exactly the same situation.

And that’s the rub, we did not know for sure back then and just did it that way because we really did not know absolutely so it was just customary repeat that information even if it was wrong.

1 Like

There was no mystery in this case. We had logs back then too, you realize. How do you think the disgusting oozling trick was discovered?

You’ve clearly never done this boss as you have no understanding of the most basic of its mechanics, so I’m not sure why you keep saying “we”.

You claim regarding wands and schools of magic damage are easily disproven on chromaggus and the spell school vulnerability wyrmkin trash in bwl.

1 Like

You are still assuming we were correct, and we were not.

Blizzard just recently confirmed 100% we were wrong about certain melee weapons having the capability of doing what we ASSUMED wands could also do.

As I was trying to point out, we ASSUMED that the frost wands and frost weapon work, but turns out that the weapons that we were theory crafting about do not work.

We never bothered to ask about wands, and maybe if we had Blizzard may have said something.

3 Likes

Those melee weapons were like that in vanilla - it was known. I remember melee dps in our raids ranting about it fairly vividly.

Wands did not behave this way on viscidus, and blizzard did not mention wands.

Those are MELEE weapons with additional damage on top of physical. We do know that elemental based wand damage is tracked and applied with bonuses in BWL on the Drakkonids. So, your giant quote is kind of meaningless by itself.

4 Likes

Stop letting the troll take control of the post and let’s get back on topic. I’m tending to agree with the fact that resists and moving out of abilities weren’t being accounted for in the video you linked.

2 Likes

No kidding, as if I did not already point that out.

Don’t know that for sure now do you.

Maybe instead of being all butthurt about it, we wait for Blizzard to respond, they have actually been reasonable when it comes to bugs and bug fixes.

They fixed the damn eye beam in a day, its not like this is a real game breaker. Oh darn the boss is not just gonna fold and we cant just go fart on him and collect loot, guess we do some PVE mechanics. Damn the bad luck.

Dude… ADAPT, and stop crying about it. IF its busted blizzard will fix it, it may take them some time to get around too it, but the boss is not unkillable or anything ridiculous.

1 Like

No one is butthurt, they’re simply asking for a faithful recreation of the vanilla encounter and attempting to draw attention to it via this post. Do give the trolling a rest.

If wands worked you’d expect to be able to freeze the boss in 20-25 seconds.

53 seconds, then 50 seconds.

45 seconds, then 41 seconds.

62 seconds, then 53 seconds.

We know it’s 200 frost hits, because the 5.1 hotfix said 20 down from 200.

3 Likes

Again, it was already explained to why in a real world scenario, your math is inaccurate. Your math assumes several things:

-all mages specced imp frostbolt (when the majority would have been fire spec during this era)
-all mages full mana
-no spell pushback from poison bolts
-zero resists
-every single non-mage using a 1.5 speed wand or lower
-no one needing to move, ever

just pure uninterrupted casting from the very second the boss is engaged. you know it doesnt work like that.

the reality of the fight is that while 1 or 2 players in the raid may have been able to avoid these issues through the luck of rng, the vast majority did not.

3 Likes

-all mages specced imp frostbolt (when the majority would have been fire spec during this era)

This doesn’t matter. The GCD is 1.5 seconds.

-all mages full mana

You’ll sit at 100% mana if you’re casting rank 1 frostbolt.

-no spell pushback from poison bolts

Casting rank 1 frostbolt you’re unlikely to lose more than 2 seconds over a minute.

-zero resists

So you’d lose maybe 5% of frostbolts if people didn’t have much spell hit. You get 6% from talents.

-every single non-mage using a 1.5 speed wand or lower

If you had all your priests and warlocks using a wand, say 15 people, you could actually freeze him in under 20 seconds.

-no one needing to move, ever

The only reason to move on this encounter is a toxin pool cast on a single player every 30 seconds.

Anyway, more information needed. I’m curious what Blizzard will find.

2 Likes

like i said, you were there. you know best.

was def a totally perfect, streamlined encounter in vanilla for alliance players where nothing ever went wrong and you could just freecast without issue totally uninterrupted.

1 Like

like i said, you were there. you know best.

I’ve said like three times I don’t know. But I’m not convinced watching videos that wands actually work.

Blizzard should look into it.

2 Likes

I know. I’ve explained why your math is off multiple times from someone who did this fight in vanilla, as alliance - and you keep hand waving it away.

1 Like

This must be a retail-based bug then - i duoed this in legion i think it was on my priest (it drops a pet in retail), and used a frost wand to freeze him.

This is from today. It seems rather unlikely that Blizzard hotfixed wands on Viscidus in between Legion and Battle for Azeroth.

20 frost attacks are supposed to freeze him in retail. I wand him 84 times and nothing.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the priests were doing a lot of healing, not to mention my wand resists all the darn time!

1 Like

I suspect that they are range attacks like a hunters bow, so even though it says resist it may actually be a miss.