Frost spec 8.2 fix

This might be the dumbest statement ever spouted in our DK forums.

2 Likes

Frost was desired because of its tankiness during wrath, not its damage. All three specs were tanks, but frost and blood in particular were almost unkillable. Unholy however focused more on magic damage and diseases, which, resistances were becoming less and less important by this point so bosses had more armor to compensate. Even in pvp where resistance gear wasnt used nearly as much or didnt mean nearly as much, unholy was extremely strong, it just wasnt as tanky.

But my main reason for saying that Unholy has always been better than frost is because frost is just an ice mage warrior while Unholy is the pure definition of Death Knight, holding class fantasy at its highest. Especially once Legion rolled around and gave players another method of using Army.

I just want Obliteration buffed in some way cause I hate hate hate the rotation BoS requires and I refuse to use it. Icecap should also either be replaced or redesigned to be something more interesting than an RNG based cooldown reduction.

2 Likes

Preferring the Unholy class fantasy is all well and good, but you specifically said “better in overall damage,” and then you said that Frost sucked in Uldir. Those were the points I specifically addressed. Backtracking doesn’t help you now.

1 Like

And I was right.

my basic fox for frost is as ive been saying

reverse the damage of AA and FF and funnel back into our abilities

change how runes recharge

The rune recharging is a death knight issue, not a frost issue. I think we should be able to recharge 4 runes at a time and have 2 extra runes, or, just increase the base recharge rate a bit.

Yeah that’s what I meant but didn’t write down.

Having them recharge at the same time is better than 4

This idea that we should be punished for using our stuff needs to stop

That’s just flat out false. Frost was head and shoulders above UH in Legion.

Unholy was better the first bit of the first raid until they buffed Frost and it dominated until the second tier.

Second tier Frost couldn’t touch Unholy simply because of boss design. Long breaths didn’t work so they redisgned our talents near the end of the tier.

Final tier they were pretty close but Frost was just slightly better. I seem to recall there were a few fights where Frost dominated on Mythic so most people stuck with Frost.

All in all it was about 50/50.
I enjoyed swapping between the two for Mythic progression.

You’re wrong, and I even just gave you logs to prove that you were wrong for performance in Uldir. Did you just ignore that completely? I could sit here all day showing you logs from the past expansions to further prove you wrong on the otherwise obvious point that no one spec has dominated for multiple expansions, but that isn’t the purpose of this thread, and your ridiculous claim has derailed it enough.

This is exactly what they’re already doing by buffing Runic Empowerment and the Frost Fever Runic proc. Auto-attacks and Frost Fever weren’t buffed, we just lost so much resource regen coming out of Legion, plus the GCD changes, that these previously minor staples of our damage took over in the high downtime. With more resources to actually fuel our cycle of abilities, we will see a damage increase.

I dont think the problem is that whether Frost or Unholy is better, the problem is why are both specs underperforming

Good sir my AA and Ff are doing 40ish of my damage and my special abilities aren’t doing much bigger damage, that doesn’t feel good.

Or maybe I’m going about it wrong and should ask bring all the good stuff from the artifacts. Also AA talents are meh

Frost in my opinion just needs buffs outside of pouring everything into breath of sindragosa we have other abilities that just aren’t up to par the spec feels sluggish.

1 Like

This. I love frost but quit playing my DK due to BoS dependency. Why they still haven’t boosted Obliterate to at least be an option is just crazy.

7 Likes

Too much of our damage is balanced out of AA and FF.

As long as Obliterate and Frost Strike deal low % overall I don’t see Obliteration being appealing. Frost Strike in particular is the direct competitor to BoS.

Obliterate needs to deal frost damage - even if it’s just Meta style during pillar/obliteration. Right now it doesn’t live up to its name.

I’d also like Icy touch to return as an option for ST disease/Rime consumption for situations like arena/Mythic Zul.

4 Likes

Just add the old avalanche talent back and feost will be fixed, * While Pillar of Frost is active, your melee critical strikes cause jagged icicles to fall on your nearby enemies, dealing (50% of attack power) Frost damage.

1 Like

for most of cataclysm as well.

So…your suggestion is to place BoS so it competes with frozen tempest, thereby removing one of the talents which has increased frost DK’s damage.
Place frostwyrm where it would lose out to ice cap, and then nerf BoS?
Why?
This would be a flat out complete damage nerf to Frost DK for no reason whatsoever.

1 Like

Being this thread is over 3 months old, and not relating to the recent Frost changes, simply moving the talent (both then and now), would not be sufficient enough, and likely disrupt existing builds.